Thread: Strategies for mining

Skilium

Strategies for mining

Should I go deep as soon as possible or should I first mine all the blocks of every layer?

MimG
    Hi Skilium

If you concentrate on just going deeper you will probably miss items hidden in the rocks. I always make sure I uncover all the blocks - I don't always waste a pick just to collect copper ore - I have plenty of that, and I find I get enough anyway in the explosions!

But you need to make sure you don't miss out on artefacts, tools, crates etc that might be hidden.

Skilium
    Quote Originally Posted by MimG View Post
    Hi Skilium

If you concentrate on just going deeper you will probably miss items hidden in the rocks. I always make sure I uncover all the blocks - I don't always waste a pick just to collect copper ore - I have plenty of that, and I find I get enough anyway in the explosions!

But you need to make sure you don't miss out on artefacts, tools, crates etc that might be hidden.
    I unlocked the mine this morning, what are the most useful materials and what are the best ways to use them?

Bobby1172
    All tools are useful in different ways. I don't mine every block. I tend to go in lines across, taking out every other row, so the dynamite is my tool of choice.

You will notice that there are sandy coloured blocks and dark brown, in addition to concrete and stone. Sandy and dark take only one hit, concrete need two and stone can't be moved.

Most items will appear in the sandy blocks even if you haven't cleared them, except for gold coins and explosive chests. I have enough coins, which is why I don't hit each block. So, if you can turn the dark blocks sandy, even without clearing them, you will see if there are any artifacts or mining tools to go back and collect.

I also don't bother collecting bronze ore in concrete or opening the chests, as they're too expensive in my opinion, but if you're just starting out you may decide otherwise.

A tip to look out for is a row of dark blocks between stone rows, with a concrete block at the end. I tend to find lots of mining tools in a row once I've moved the concrete, but no guarantees.
    Last edited by Bobby1172; 12-19-2015 at 12:33 PM.

Genevieve Logan
    I utilize my tools carefully:

Pickaxes to get to a "prime spot" for dynamite and explosives.

Prime spot for dynamite (wall to wall) is two levels below the lowest level you can see nearly all the blocks.
    I set off my dynamite and collect anything that falls.
    I then look along the upper edge and lower edge for anything desirable.
    If I don't see anything I want, I dig down 3 levels, rinse, and repeat.
    NOTE: dynamite will only score a stone block, so this will change my strategy if one level up or one level down is more ideal.
    If you score a stone block once (making it crack), then the dynamite will go all way though to blocks on other side.
    Hard part with that strategy is getting close enough to a stone block to score it.

Explosives I tend to hoard for multiple stone blocks (or multiple ores in one area).
    Using explosives just because you ran out of pickaxes is a waste of resources, in my opinion.

If a row has all blocks uncovered except for one deep in, I will leave it behind because it isn't worth 2 pickaxes to dig out one block just to see it.
    Similarly, with dynamite, if setting it off doesn't show 2 or more blocks IN THE ROW ABOVE, I will dig down one more level and set it off there.

I would like if it was made possible to turn the dynamite so you could mine vertically. Is this at all possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Baldridge View Post
    I would like if it was made possible to turn the dynamite so you could mine vertically. Is this at all possible?
    No, and I have wished for that too.