Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Regatta Freeloaders Again!

I'm not sure I have a problem with people requesting but not helping. If someone requests products I get coins and clovers for helping which seems to be fair enough reward. Saying that I would be worried if there were unfilled requests in my co-op for any length of time.

My leader is MIA. What is your coop. It is no fun playing alone I am level 74.

Hi, I am a co-leader to what was a fairly relaxed coop in golden league then people wanted us to get more competitive and were getting annoyed with the free loaders so we implemented rules of a min. of 4 tasks or opt out of no-racing but not everyone gets it. I keep sending messages to the group chat to boost participation. I would be interested to know - do you just kick freeloaders out without warning? or mention specific individuals in the chat first and ask them to participate? Keen to know what tactics are used

I would suggest naming names. Betty, Sue, and Cal you didn't do your four tasks this week. If you don't opt out or do four tasks next week, we are kicking you out next Sunday before the race is over. But make sure your leader is on board with actually kicking them out. The leader of my first co-op was a very nice lady who had no leadership abilities. Four tasks is still very relaxed.

This is approximately what I did (at the time I didn't know I could use the inbox lol)

1. On a Wednesday, posted in chat something like: "Hi everyone! Starting next race, everyone must complete a minimum of three tasks. It's all right if you can't or don't want to do this, but you need to opt out in settings. I don't want to be a dictator, but racing without scoring points is not fair to the team. If you have any questions or need help, please speak up!"
    2. I occasionally posted (enough to keep it near the top of the chat, but not enough to be spammy) - "Hi team! Please scroll down for important info about the next regatta! Please speak up if you don't understand or need help!"
    3. At the start of the next race I posted, "Everyone has opted in. That means you're committed to doing three tasks. I don't want to kick people, but I will to be fair to the rest of the team. If you're having trouble, please speak up!"
    4. A few more general reminders and cheerleading
    5. On Saturday, call out the people who aren't on track by name. "Player1, Player2, will you be able to complete 3 tasks by end of the race?"
    6. Assuming you've gotten no responses about mitigating circumstances, keep your promise and give them the boot! If you decide there are mitigating circumstances, say it publicly so your other members know it's an exception. "Player 1, I see your phone was broken, so we will keep you on this time. Next week make sure you do 3 tasks or opt out" - and then keep this promise next week.
    7. When new members join, ask them "Can we count on you to do three tasks?"
    8. Now that everyone is aware of the rules, a few reminders (if any) each race should be sufficient.

EDIT: At one point I also posted a detailed description of how to opt out.

idk, I feel like this is more warnings than strictly necessary, but I wanted to triple check that I had given the whole co-op a chance to understand the new rules and ask questions or voice opposition. You know your co-op best though For my part, I was satisfied with the outcome.

Basically, if they're not following your rules and they're not responding to chat, then the co-op they are in makes no difference to them. They will be fine somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdrop View Post
    Hi, I am a co-leader to what was a fairly relaxed coop in golden league then people wanted us to get more competitive and were getting annoyed with the free loaders so we implemented rules of a min. of 4 tasks or opt out of no-racing but not everyone gets it. I keep sending messages to the group chat to boost participation. I would be interested to know - do you just kick freeloaders out without warning? or mention specific individuals in the chat first and ask them to participate? Keen to know what tactics are used
    Last edited by Honor; 09-08-2017 at 05:15 AM. Reason: formatting

I make sure new members are fully briefed on what we expect. If they don't agree, we part ways nicely. I use the inbox messages to remind what the goals are for the week (we agree them between us for each race). I prompt people via chat board if it's necessary, in a lighthearted way at first, but if they ignore me I get steadily more firm. That tends to be stuff like not helping as much as everybody else, or taking too slow tasks and such. I say I, I mean myself and co leaders all do it. If someone hasn't done what they promised in the beginning and hasn't been up front as to why, or is doing it repeatedly, I kick them out. Part of leader's job is to protect others from freeloading, imho. As long as you intro people to your house rules properly, then they can't say they didn't agree to it. For us, communication is key.

I'm fairly new to the game. What do you mean by opting out of the regatta?

(at the time I didn't know I could use the inbox lol)
    just one thing, I just remembered: the inbox is great for such info, but be aware that a newly joining member will find it empty. They can't read back, and you would have to re-post your rules (or whatever you want to post there).
    As an aside: They CAN read back in the normal Chat window.

Yeah, you do havta remember they only see stuff posted since they joined. Rarely needed for us, since we tend to greet thru chat when they arrive.

Jary, you can choose to mark yourself as Not Racing in the period between races.. that way, your co op doesn't face an extra competitor when you don't intend to do tasks. Only those marked as Racing count towards the co op total. So, for example, a co op of 20, with only 10 marked Racing, will compete only against others teams of 10 racers, keeping it a fair fight. You see? Some co ops deliberately keep some players as Not Racing to act as feeders for the Racers' tasks.

you can choose to mark yourself as Not Racing in the period between races.
    just as addition: you can do that any time you like; it will always work only for the NEXT regatta.
    The setting is behind the cog top left, where one sets notifications also, called something with "participate in regatta".