Thread: New Mechanic: The Frog

New Mechanic: The Frog

Proposing a new game mechanic: the Frog

The Frog is found in levels with a river and lilypads. It will start the game on a lilypad and will move with the current. It is not affected by gravity and will stay on the river at all times, preventing the items above it from falling.

If a match is made next to a frog, it will jump (sink and reappear) to a random location on the river, swapping places with a different lilypad. The contents of the other lilypad will be transferred to the first one.

If a bomb is activated near a frog, it will be disabled, similar to the mole. It won't be able to jump for a while, but it will still move with the current as it is sitting on the lilypad.

The frog is not affected by rainbow blasts, honey, vines, butterfly movement, moles or other frogs. It will be able to swap places with anything that is on a lilypad, including fruit, bombs, RBs, drinks, butterflies, honey pots, frozen items and boxes.

This would hopefully introduce more levels where the frog is either a fruit-swapping nuisance, or necessary in transporting items across the field. Previous levels without a frog may be recycled.

Any comments?

I like the idea of this obstacle

Unfortunately this game mechanic will never be implemented, because its inspiration, the mole, was removed by public vote.

Apparently, there are many Gardenscapes players who cannot handle the complexity of the mole (as well as anything that is challenging or difficult). These people ask for less obstacles, cheaper tasks and free stars, instead of tackling the game like they should.

I believe that the game is supposed to be difficult, because it makes the garden more rewarding. There is no satisfaction in an easy-to-obtain garden. The journey is more important than the destination.

Yes, the mole was annoying and hard. But that is why Gardenscapes is classed as a puzzle game. Without challenging things like moles, the game is not as puzzling anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage Mage View Post
    Unfortunately this game mechanic will never be implemented, because its inspiration, the mole, was removed by public vote.

Apparently, there are many Gardenscapes players who cannot handle the complexity of the mole (as well as anything that is challenging or difficult). These people ask for less obstacles, cheaper tasks and free stars, instead of tackling the game like they should.

I believe that the game is supposed to be difficult, because it makes the garden more rewarding. There is no satisfaction in an easy-to-obtain garden. The journey is more important than the destination.

Yes, the mole was annoying and hard. But that is why Gardenscapes is classed as a puzzle game. Without challenging things like moles, the game is not as puzzling anymore.
    The problem with the mole wasn't that it was "hard" or "complex"... it was that it was an active player screw. There are plenty of other elements (honey, ivy, boxes) that are "hard" and/or "complex", but are nowhere near as rage-inducing as the moles were.

I agree, frogs in other game has been took away all color as they has been. Green frog - leafes, red - apples etc. But yeah i can imagine complain like its insane or undoable like moles pretend to be (not for me).

I like this idea, too bad it will never come alive. Sage Your ideas are pretty cool, waiting for more 😉