Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Level Disparity In Regatta

Level Disparity In Regatta

I would like to begin a non-threatening discussion over the disparity in levels in the Regetta.

In my opinion, it's takes skill for a level 95 to compete and win against levels 80-100. This is a fair playing field.
    For a 45 to compete against 80-100 is an uneven playing field and leads to frustration.
    There has been much discussion over skill, but not much over barn size and factory upgrades.

If the task calls for 8 donuts, lvl 95 with 8 shelves can fill this while lvl 45 with 6 shelves must take time to produce two more.
    When lvl 95 preps, they have a much larger barn Than the lvl 45, so the 95 can be more prepared.

It would "appear" more fair if the algorithms averaged the lvl and put like racers together.
    Example: lvl 45+60+55+80=240 divide by 4 players = average of 60. They play in the 41-60 lvl group.
    Example: lvl 95+100+80+75=350 divided by 4 players = 87.5. They would play in the 81-100 group.
    Example: lvl 50+75+85+80=290 divided by 4 players = 72.5. They would play in the 61-80 group.
    NOT: 45+60+55+70 competing against 100+85+95+75.

An algorithm like the examples would make the Regetta skill based, not won by who has the bigger barn and more factory shelves.
    Just my thoughts, please be kind in your responses and comments.

I'm sorry, but those who truly know how to play this game can win at any level against any level. Its all a matter of time management and figuring out how and what you can do the quickest at your level.

A few thoughts:

1. Level is not a good way to determine how competitive the co-op is, or even who the winner will be. A hardcore 45+60+55+70 will beat a relaxed 100+85+95+75 any day. Even with a smaller barn

2. Even if we grant that the higher level co-op has a significant advantage, using the mean is problematic with real-life co-ops. A few players at a much lower or higher level will throw it off. For an extreme example lvl 100+90+80+20 290/4 = 72.5 They would play in the level 61-80 group, even though 75% of their players are way above the upper limit.

On the other side of that coin, 100+50+50+50 would have to play in the same race as 80+80+80+80

I can see co-ops admitting competitive low levels to game the system. A co-op of 3 level 80s could move down a bracket by admitting a single level 40 player. And since a level 40 can complete 16 tasks in the same co-op as a lvl 80, this won't be a disadvantage for them.

3. Even though the 100+85+95+75 co-op may have an easier time doing the tasks, they can still only do 16 each. The lower level co-op can definitely catch up. The faster co-op wins in case of a tie, but except with small co-ops and extremely competitive races, this doesn't happen all that often. Plus, see #4.

4. Co-ops at a higher level will see a lower incidence of the "easy" tasks like helicopter, crops, animal feeding. They see more planes & trains. So, they will have to take longer, harder tasks to get to the same points, or they will have to wait around for dumped tasks.

Of course, there's always luck, randomness, and if either team spends tcash it's anyone's game.

If regattas had unlimited tasks I would agree with you, but since almost any level can do 16 high value tasks, I don't. I think the main advantage that higher-level co-ops have is practice, not larger barns & upgraded factories. They've had plenty of races to plan ahead and make a strategy. Even if you halved their barn sizes and un-upgraded their factories, they would still dominate. To wit, they aren't winning because they are high level. Being around for a long time is both the reason they are high level and the reason they are winning regattas.

To that end, maybe a grouping based on past performance in the regatta would be appropriate (perhaps based on average points or performance in the previous race)

Another thing I've thought about is having another league above gold, maybe a "champions league," with the top three in gold moving out each race. I bet in a few weeks the races in gold would be much more fun for those closer to the bottom (hello from my-coop!).

I'm not saying the way it's done is perfect, I just don't know that putting similar levels together would make the race more fair.
    Last edited by Honor; 06-24-2017 at 05:45 AM.

As an aside, there is a thread featuring some great discussion of this topic here.
    Town: Amoria (Level 90)
    Platform: iOS (WVMX6K) + Facebook
    Always looking for friends who are kind, helpful, & design their towns to look like real ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly wood View Post
    For a 45 to compete against 80-100 is an uneven playing field and leads to frustration.
    There has been much discussion over skill, but not much over barn size and factory upgrades.

If the task calls for 8 donuts, lvl 95 with 8 shelves can fill this while lvl 45 with 6 shelves must take time to produce two more.
    When lvl 95 preps, they have a much larger barn Than the lvl 45, so the 95 can be more prepared.
    There are compensations in the game. A level 45 would get tasks not available to a level 90 such as harvest strawberries, bring peaches, produce bagels etc. Do you think that these are enough to narrow the gap or should more be done?

i hear that a lot about compensations for lower levels when they race getting lower level rated tasks. Problem is, I don't see that. The planes and trains I get when NOT racing are much easier to fill then the planes and trains I get during Regetta. My planes typically ask for 1 or 2 of each item when I am not racing. During Regetta I get asked for 3 to 4 of each item and higher level items such as hats and rubber boats. The crops asked for are usually around 9 each, during Regetta I was asked for 60+ when I only have 80 fields. Even the higher levels in our coop were shocked by the ridiculous planes and trains I was getting. I wonder if other lower levels have noticed the planes and trains are harder during Regetta. I don't know that there's an answer or solution, it just seems to be that's the way it is. I totally agree with Honor. It's not perfect. I don't see a solution but am grateful for the conversation. I love the game, it's so much fun to play. Not having a trophy does not discourage me from pumping out those planes and trains, or feeding my zoo animals (the babies are soooooo cute). OMG, when I got my pigs I fell in love with their cute little pink faces, lol.

I don’t know that I can add much to this. Most of what needs to be said has already been said. So, I can only say it in a different way. And this will be quite the wandering little post, for that is the way my brain works now.

The level of the players competing in a Regatta becomes more important the smaller the size of the Co-ops that are competing. I realize that is an assertion.

For example, do you really think a level 67 Co-op can win against a level 140 Co-op in a solo race? The level 140 Co-op should have all the speed upgrades done by this time. This assumes no one is spending money, for as Honor has said, money trumps all. I know as a solo racer, I always rejoice inside when I see that the highest level competitor is only in the 60’s. I like easy boring wins.

For the ones that are complaining that “It aint fair!”, let me offer you this comfort. The prizes you win in a Regatta suck so profusely, you aren’t missing anything even if you got smoked out of the top 3. An example is helpful here. You race solo and win 1st place. You spent 10 tcash buying the extra task. For first place, the top prize is 13 in tcash. You just won a net 3 tcash! Sweet!

It would be interesting to get the thoughts from big Co-ops who race and win consistently. There are two of these I know of who actually speak English and are having a modicum of success against the Russian and Chinese juggernaut on the Global leaderboard. This would be Debra’s “Helpers” and Danville’s “Givers Only Co-op” They are currently 20 and 21. In Giver’s Only Co-op (Hi Garvie!) there are players as low as 40’s that race. And yet they do it! It must be Regatta management, tactics, and strategy. That can overcome level in larger Co-op sizes.

This is a positive conversation and maybe from it, Playrix will make a tweak to the Regatta pairing algorithm. And when they do, it will probably outrage everyone when they see the effect. “Hey, that’s not fair!”
    Town - DALISCAPE

Be kind.

Hollywood does get the same tasks as us higher levels in her coop. I havent seen any easy tasks in quite awhile & if they did pop up on board we would definately allow the lower level players to have them.
    I know alot have been complaining tasks are getting harder. Its all over just about every post on Township mobile. They are, it doesnt discourage us tho...We all finish all 16 tasks at 135 several days b4 races end. The only reason Hollywood doesnt have her trophy is because she is a selfless team player who helped tremendously to allow the rest of the coop to race and win....We are going for the win for her now! Just wish the tasks would be more of a mix for all levels! That would be fair & make the regatta fun again!!!!✌💗⛵😀

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Banana View Post
    I don’t know that I can add much to this. Most of what needs to be said has already been said. So, I can only say it in a different way. And this will be quite the wandering little post, for that is the way my brain works now.

The level of the players competing in a Regatta becomes more important the smaller the size of the Co-ops that are competing. I realize that is an assertion.

For example, do you really think a level 67 Co-op can win against a level 140 Co-op in a solo race? The level 140 Co-op should have all the speed upgrades done by this time. This assumes no one is spending money, for as Honor has said, money trumps all. I know as a solo racer, I always rejoice inside when I see that the highest level competitor is only in the 60’s. I like easy boring wins.

For the ones that are complaining that “It aint fair!”, let me offer you this comfort. The prizes you win in a Regatta suck so profusely, you aren’t missing anything even if you got smoked out of the top 3. An example is helpful here. You race solo and win 1st place. You spent 10 tcash buying the extra task. For first place, the top prize is 13 in tcash. You just won a net 3 tcash! Sweet!

It would be interesting to get the thoughts from big Co-ops who race and win consistently. There are two of these I know of who actually speak English and are having a modicum of success against the Russian and Chinese juggernaut on the Global leaderboard. This would be Debra’s “Helpers” and Danville’s “Givers Only Co-op” They are currently 20 and 21. In Giver’s Only Co-op (Hi Garvie!) there are players as low as 40’s that race. And yet they do it! It must be Regatta management, tactics, and strategy. That can overcome level in larger Co-op sizes.

This is a positive conversation and maybe from it, Playrix will make a tweak to the Regatta pairing algorithm. And when they do, it will probably outrage everyone when they see the effect. “Hey, that’s not fair!”
    Love your Reply!!! Thank you!
    Last edited by Amoria; 06-24-2017 at 03:25 PM. Reason: merged

To be clear, I didn't mean that the planes and trains themselves are easier to fill, just that the tasks that appear on the board are more likely to be trains/planes. FWIW, I have heard that the quicker you fill the trains/planes, the harder the next ones will be. I'm not 100% sure that's true, but even so I always ask for help on at least one car, and most my trains come in fairly doable. When I fill them without asking for help, I get 3 cars asking for 16 cotton :\

Also, as Messy town pointed out, some of the tasks become impossible to get at higher levels. Check out bit.ly/RegattaTasks You'll see that some of the high point tasks wont show up . For example, now that everyone in my co-op is past level 40, we cannot get a 135 collect milk task. And I never see the produce 15 syrup anymore (used to do it multiple times per race).

I also don't know that it's enough to narrow the gap, but at least its something.

(This is all from player-sourced information, but so far it's been true for me)
    Last edited by Honor; 06-24-2017 at 02:40 PM. Reason: fixed link