Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Penalty for Dumping Regatta Tasks?

Penalty for Dumping Regatta Tasks?

Does it count against you when you dump a task that you are not working on

No, it only count if you are trying to climb the global board. We always dump a bunch. It does not count against your regatta score.

I dumped some tasks and it shows that I still have tasks left but the system won't let me choose anything it says all tasks for the Regatta have been taken. However others in my coop have dumped a lot since then and they have not been penalized. It says I have completed 11 of 16 tasks however it won't let me choose any more tasks to complete. What can I do?
    Last edited by Patsy Casaretto; 06-30-2017 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patsy Casaretto View Post
    I dumped some tasks and it shows that I still have tasks left but the system won't let me choose anything it says all tasks for the Regatta have been taken. However others in my coop have dumped a lot since then and they have not been penalized. It says I have completed 11 of 16 tasks however it won't let me choose any more tasks to complete. What can I do?
    If you dump a task after you have started it, then it counts towards your 16 tasks, so you will lose the points from it and be unable to take another in it's place.
    If you dump a task straight from the board, then it only counts towards the final dump penalty, and is not counted in your 16 tasks.

This is one of the most mixed up and confused concepts in the regatta.

There are two distinct cases and unfortunately both are called "dumping". In fact, each one is a different thing and has drastically different effects. The good news is that the "Trashcan Icon" is a different color for each situation.

1) You (or your teammates) are looking at the task board trying to decide on what task to take next. In the set of tasks are some completely undesirable tasks (low points, too long, etc). You highlight that task and hit the "Blue Trashcan Icon" to discard the task (note I said "discard"). The result of this action is that the task is removed from the task board and a timer started for its replacement to appear (30 minutes). Statistically (found when you push the "statistics" button), your data line shows the number of times you've done this and there's also a total for the entire team. This type of "dumping" has no effect on your regatta race score whatsoever. However, when you team's final "Global Leaderboard Ranking Score" is computed, the average number of tasks "discarded" by the team's members is deducted from that ranking score.

2) You examine the task board and chose a task you'd like to do. You select it by clicking on the green "Start" button. This task is now yours to complete. Your count of remaining tasks you can perform in the regatta is reduced by 1. If, sometime during your attempt to do this task, you decide to "cancel" the task, you go to the task list where you and your teammates active tasks are listed (it is below the task board), make sure your name / task is highlighted, and hit the "Red Trashcan Icon" to cancel the task (note I said "cancel"). The result of doing this is that you and your team will receive a score of 0 for that task and you will not be allowed to replace that task with another. That is, you took it, you have to finish it or receive 0 points.

Now most people, and the game text itself, will call both of these cases "dumping". However, as you can see, how you "dump", either "discard" or "cancel", will have drastically different effects on your game, your score, and your ability to do more tasks.

Given Patsy's description of what happened, it seems that she "cancelled" her active task (or two) and her teammates have been "discarding" from the main task board.

One possible cause of this confusion is that Co-op "Members" cannot "discard" tasks from the task board. Therefore, number 1) above is not available to them. However, if they feel they should be helping the co-op by removing undesirable tasks from the task board, they may feel compelled to "start" the task and then "cancel" it as that is the only option available to them. If that's what "Members" are thinking, my advice is "don't do that", ask your Leader / Co-Leaders / Elders to manage the task board for you.

One other factor that contributes to some confusion is that the word "score" can be ambiguous. Your team actually has two "scores", one is the total of the points earned through doing tasks in the regatta by all the team members. This is the score that determines your placement in the race and your trophy (if any) and your promotion or demotion through the various leagues. This "score" is not affected by "discarding" tasks from the task board. It is obviously affected by any tasks that are "cancelled" after they were taken as they are then worth 0 points

The other "score" is used to determine your ranking in the Global Leadership Board (GLB) and is a complex formula that includes both your regatta score, the number of racing players, *and* the number of tasks "dumped" during the regatta. Not every team is interested in trying to rank highly on the GLB but those that are must keep "dumping" to a minimum. For those uninterested in being ranked on the GLB, they should not concern themselves with the number of tasks "discarded" from the task board.

The matrix below show the "dumping effects" in a more tabular way.

Dumping Impact.JPG

I hope this provides some clarity. Thank you for your kind attention.
    Last edited by cdosr; 01-03-2019 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Trashcan Icons now have different colors, minor updates

Hi Patsy

At the bottom of the small square on the right, what do you see? Do you see : tasks left 0/15 ? Tasks left 0/16? Something else? Did you already paid the 10 T-cash for the extra task? Did you check how many tasks you have on your list ? How many have the green checkmark?
    Graylady, Forum member since may 2014 --- Playing on Android, not on Facebook
    Township level 206, Zoo 194 animals, --- coop #HHPY84

Please read this important post by Playrix about Township : Wishes/requests already rejected by Playrix

Am not sure where to post this question, but this seems like a close enough thread.

This week's regatta race, there is one co-op who is racing hard - we take turns being in first place. Someone in their co-op didn't take all 135 tasks, so they are a few points behind us.

Our co-op is all doing 135 tasks and will pay for the 16th task. Therefore, we will be ahead of them at the end of the race.

But could they win first place if they dumped less tasks than us? Anyone know? Hope I've explained clearly.

Thanks! 😎
    Sandy aka truck taz
    Level 184
    Co-op: Merry Musketeers
    At max of in-game friends but pending works well ;-)

Hi Sandy

Dumping tasks has no effect on a race other then getting better/higher choices of tasks. At the end of the regatta, after the results are known, the penalty for dumping is applied on our weekly result for the leaderboard.
    Graylady, Forum member since may 2014 --- Playing on Android, not on Facebook
    Township level 206, Zoo 194 animals, --- coop #HHPY84

Please read this important post by Playrix about Township : Wishes/requests already rejected by Playrix

Thank you GL! You're so smart! 😂👏🙂👍😎. Ok now back to let the gang know!
    Sandy aka truck taz
    Level 184
    Co-op: Merry Musketeers
    At max of in-game friends but pending works well ;-)

Thank you, this helps. I kept hearing about dumping but I'm not able to dump any tasks on my board. And now I realize that's a job for our leader, who isn't active anymore. I think on Monday I'll start looking for a new Co-OP group.