Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Tips For New Players

SuzyD
    Quote Originally Posted by Talpa View Post
    One thing I did not realise until someone else pointed it on the forum, is that there is a solution if the market dealer does not provide just enough of a vital commodity to fill a vital order.
    You must search for an alternative item, dismiss that, then start a new search for the goods you need and you will find that a new number appears. It may take several searches to obtain the minimum quantity you really require but it can be useful in times of crisis and save time and angst.
    I was coming to post just that -- you beat me to it!

I would only add that there are limits to quantity to keep in mind:

Regular items:
    9 is the usual max for most items.
    12 is the max for low-cost items, such as bagels, burgers, sugar, as well as all animal products and crops.
    5 is the max for island items, sad but true.

Mining:
    5 is also the max for dynamite and TNT for the mine.
    9 is the max for platinum and gold ore.
    13 is the max for silver and copper ore.
    15 is the max for the pick axe for the mine.

Ali Land
    Resist the urge to stack up factory orders. if your sitting down to play for over an hour, your requirements are going to change. You might want loads of bagels for something and stack up the order only to find you could really use a bread that could quickly have been made in the middle . I have often tied up a factory for hours only to find the items show up ten minutes later in the market, and I might need loads of butter, but then find I'm only one cream short of helping out a friend.

Planing ahead does not mean commiting yourself. you mainly want to make quick items while your playing, and stack up those long items to be produced while your away from the game. Sure your big problem might seem to be clearing barn space and getting raw materials in to factories will clear a little room, but in the long run your just putting of the problem - stuff you or your friends need is valuable, stocking up timely items not so much.
    Last edited by Bessville; 09-13-2018 at 06:44 AM.

Barn Tools A major source of frustration for so many. In my game I have figured out the system and, for me, it never fails (at least so far), which totally eliminates my frustration! Here is how it works: 1/2 level plus 1 full level plus 1/2 level = barn upgrade (all tools in stock). Every barn expansion will feature 1 tool that comes in last and causes you grief and worry - for me the shortfall tool changes with each new expansion.

So here is an easy to understand example. Barn just got expanded at:

Level 50 1/2 - begin collecting tools for next expansion (you probably have some carryover tools)
    Level 51 - not enough tools to expand, toward the end you notice a shortfall in 1 tool - less than the other 2 tools
    Level 51 1/2 - shortfall tool starts to arrive, all 3 tools meet total needed and barn is expanded - start process again for next expansion

I have seen this scenario occur regularly since about Level 60 (didn't pay attention before then, got frustrated instead) and my barn expands just like clockwork, right on schedule!

Quote Originally Posted by Graylady View Post
    Sorry to disagree Erica Here is my tip :

Keep only the necessary tools for the next barn upgrade

Barn tools are the same as Community buildings tools. They may get way off if you keep all of them. Never keep more then 5 to 10 over the next quantity. If you need 20 of each for your next upgrade, sell any tool over 30.
    Sorry GrayLady, I agree with ITSWTVR, never sell barn tools. I did as you state and by the time I reached mid player levels I had a very pathetic sized barn for the amount of tools that is being required for these last community buildings. The barn can never be big enough, but when it is too small, makes playing and juggling very difficult.
    Last edited by Bessville; 09-13-2018 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbox View Post
    Visit Ernie when doing multiple helicopter runs
    Sending off the helicopter and waiting can be a drag. Send it off and visit Ernie or if you have friends then quickly return to your town. Your helicopter will be magically back to do another order.

Haha bet you thought I'd say grow and sell wheat.
    Put your helicopter in the middle of town and your runs will be more consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasallee View Post
    Sorry GrayLady, I agree with ITSWTVR, never sell barn tools. I did as you state and by the time I reached mid player levels I had a very pathetic sized barn for the amount of tools that is being required for these last community buildings. The barn can never be big enough, but when it is too small, makes playing and juggling very difficult.
    Sorry, but I don't see the logic in holding on to the excess barn tools. Once I have over and above 1 or 2 types of tool needed for the next upgrade, I start selling the excess while accumulating the much needed third tool required in order to complete the upgrade. Holding on to the excess only increases the disparity between tools and takes up valuable barn space, in my experience.

Actually, Pink, there is a very true barn tool horror story experienced by Ralph back in the day and which Graylady, myself, and several others watched play out over a long period of time. As with all good tips, sometimes you have to experience something really bad before you learn how to cleverly turn it back to good. Graylady's advice about the barn tools is exactly the right advice, as you noted, because we saw what happened to Ralph and others who didn't sell off excess tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Nana View Post
    Actually, Pink, there is a very true barn tool horror story experienced by Ralph back in the day and which Graylady, myself, and several others watched play out over a long period of time. As with all good tips, sometimes you have to experience something really bad before you learn how to cleverly turn it back to good. Graylady's advice about the barn tools is exactly the right advice, as you noted, because we saw what happened to Ralph and others who didn't sell off excess tools.
    I remember that period quite well Nana

I was keeping ALL the barn tools I received having the notion that it would help me upgrade my barn faster. That was the worst thing I did in the game. The more I kept the tools, the more I got the same. At one point I had enough hammers for 7 upgrades and had enough paint for 3 or 4 upgrades but I could not get nails. I end up receiving 10 times more hammers then nails. Instead of upgrading faster it was getting harder and harder to upgrade my barn (6 to 8 weeks) I finally got the message and sold all the extra hammers and paints to start from scratch. That is when I started receiving nails more regularly.

In short : you are afraid of selling some barn tools ? NEVER keep more then 1 extra upgrade or you will run into a nightmare. I've been testing it and suffer for months. I never keep more then 10 extra tools and upgrade my barn every 2 weeks since I adopt that way of dealing with those tools.

Jem
    If you are having a problem with running out of space for town expansion there are three things you can do.

1. Buy only one cow barn and expand it as quickly as possible till you have six cows. One cow barn can keep up easily with the dairy factory, the fast food restaurant and the ice cream factory. Buying more than one cow barn will not improve your dairy factory output as there is only one dairy factory which means that you cannot make more products by having more cows.

2. Buy only one feed factory. One can easily keep up with feed needed for your animals.

3. Look at you town and see if you are surrounding most of your buildings with roads. If you are, then try having a road on only one side of a building with the exception of road crossings, then it's OK to have a road on two sides. This leaves room for trees, flowers and other decorations. Build roads only when absolutely necessary to connect all your buildings, you will be able to meet all your road requirements eventually, it may take a bit longer but you will have avoided the frustration of constantly running out of room and never having enough space for more community buildings.

Right now I have built all of my community buildings which are all connected by roads/pavement. I have been adding the large monumental buildings that I want and have been able to use a large number of land expansions as parks that don't look exactly like other parks already built, I like the variety. I still have at least 3 land expansions that I have not set aside for parks that I can develope if I need more space, I'll keep them virgin until I decided what I want to do with them. All of this makes the game more fun to play and leaves my township looking spacious - just like I want.
    Last edited by Bessville; 09-13-2018 at 06:47 AM.

SuzyD
    Everything active that requires time in the game can be tapped on for additional information.

Tap on feeding animals to see how much longer before the product is ready.
    Tap on growing crops to see how much longer until ripe.
    Tap on a train waiting to be filled to see how long the next train on that railroad will take to arrive after you send the one you have.
    Last edited by Bessville; 09-13-2018 at 02:30 PM.