Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Co-op Leadership Questions

Co-op Leadership Questions

As co-op leaders, we all face the same challenges; for example, getting non-racing members to opt out before the race starts.

But I have a new challenge on which I'd like your opinions. We are a relaxed racing co-op, and every member racing insists they really want to participate in the race. But at the start of each race, a few members each take a long plane task, then apparently forget about it, because they seldom finish even that one task.

In our chat, we're offering help and asking them to hurry, even suggesting they abandon the plane task for something quicker. With no success; they seem to feel they are "racing" if they have an active task, completed or not.

Of course, we have some competitive racers too who aren't happy with the sub-1000 scorers.

So how do I get the s/low racers to choose more strategically? I can't tell if they don't understand racing, or don't understand how to play Township, or don't login very often or for very long, or if it's something else entirely.

Any thoughts?

I'm not a leader but have been co-leader in a few co-ops. You have two choices. Put up with it or tell them to opt out if they can't complete X number of tasks and then start kicking out the dead wood. If you are not willing to kick people out, you have no leverage, and you are not being fair to the ones that work at the regatta. There are always people willing to take advantage of nice people, and that is what you have.

Put on description of group 3 task minimum to stay in co-op. Than stick to it at end of regatta if they failed to make 3 task kick them out of your co-op. If someone is going on vacation or will not have internet they notify in advance in chat. I allow them to stay otherwise they are out. Why would you join a co-op not to play. If they have unchecked participate in regatta they stay with us.

Hi Snissen, you don't say how relaxed you want to race. Is there a set minimum? Do you and those who want to race agree on the same racing style?

In this case, I would send out a global message stating what your co-op is trying to achieve. ie, everyone has to complete a minimum of x tasks, anyone not completing one task will be removed from the co-op by..., please state in chat that you understand these requirements, anyone not posting in chat will be removed before the start of the next race.

If they are not responding to continued 'encouragement' then they need to be removed from the co-op for the benefit of the remaining racing team.
    Forever living in hope lol

Forum member since June 2015 - Fed up with the Regatta 'rewards'!!
    Little Wonders #UPN7VG ~ now recruiting ~ Level 64+
    Level 155 - Android Friend code RNDXDC. I'm full but happy to stay on your pending tabs.

Imp: - Level 137 - Android 4CP9XT

It sounds like they are totally taking advantage of the rest of the team. They have no interest in playing and just want the rewards. They are no different than a player opted in that takes no tasks.

Set your team goals and stipulate that players opted in must do x # of tasks or be opted out. If they dont comply kick them out. And dont feel bad about it, because they clearly don't feel badly about taking advantage of you and the team.

First, agree with everything said above. You have to let them go for the good of the team. If you don't, your good players will leave you first. No need to call them "dead wood" or "boat anchors" or other derogative terms, just tell them they are not a good fit for your team.

If you don't want to feel badly about it, post a note in your chat telling them that their style of play is not compatible with your co-op goals and recommend they visit the forum here and look for co-ops that have similar goals. There are plenty of sticky threads and plenty of places they can go. Give them a chance to leave on their own and drop the hammer on Monday afternoon.

Even if they don't read the chat, your other teammates do and will see that you're taking action.

hi snissen,
    just wanted to add to the very good advice you've received here already: When you have done what has been suggested here, and you'd have to kick ppl out, don't forget that you can overwrite the default text of the kick msg, with another explanation or even the offer to come back when they follow the Coop rules. That might be helpful - at least for how you feel - if these players don't react in Chat (which they seem to do now already?).

And I thought you might find this post by Vuurvl interesting in this context additionally; a very good overview/summary IMO. It's about new players originally, but has quite some truth in it, esp. I think about the reasons why Coop leaders so often don't "want to" kick players.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaZS View Post
    It sounds like they are totally taking advantage of the rest of the team. They have no interest in playing and just want the rewards. They are no different than a player opted in that takes no tasks.

Set your team goals and stipulate that players opted in must do x # of tasks or be opted out. If they dont comply kick them out. And dont feel bad about it, because they clearly don't feel badly about taking advantage of you and the team.
    Be careful assuming the worst about other players. Oh, this behaviour surely works out as "taking advantage" for the rest of the team. But it could be kids that don't read or don't fully grasp what's expected of them in a game group effort. There's no doubt about the outcome for the rest of the team. But the intent, or lack of it, we rarely know.

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    hi snissen,
    just wanted to add to the very good advice you've received here already: When you have done what has been suggested here, and you'd have to kick ppl out, don't forget that you can overwrite the default text of the kick msg, with another explanation or even the offer to come back when they follow the Coop rules. That might be helpful - at least for how you feel - if these players don't react in Chat (which they seem to do now already?).

And I thought you might find this post by Vuurvl interesting in this context additionally; a very good overview/summary IMO. It's about new players originally, but has quite some truth in it, esp. I think about the reasons why Coop leaders so often don't "want to" kick players.

Good luck!
    thanks!

Don't be too afraid to kick a player that's non responsive, of whom you think it could be a kid. If they're totally unresponsive in chat, they are likely to not consider themselves a group member really. So you kick them, they just join another random coop, because they like the bee symbol or something. Such loose ties don't hurt when you break them. It's only when players are active in chat, that bonds are formed, and kicking may be a more painful decision.

In a situation like yours, Snissen (older coop with members that have grown different game goals over time), you could also consider a coop break up. This has the advantage that you create two groups, rather than one group and a bunch of kicked individuals. And the old coop can keep their "rules" and keep playing as they were, while the new coop can turn their game up a notch or two. Breakups can be painful too, but being open and calm about them, giving it a bit of time to sink in - don't ninja this! -, making clear it's the best for all involved, keeping those you leave behind on your friendlist, stuff like that can help to prevent drama.

Good luck!
    Blue trashcan: dumping has no effect on current race, only deducts points from Global score (Global Leaderboard etc.)
    Red trashcan: DON'T USE unless you really wish to lose those points in your race!

Android Township player, township name Vuurvlinderstad
    Coop: De Oranjetompoucen, tag #DEQ8WE

You can't ☹️accept them or let them go I still think leaders should be able to change people's racing status but I think that's unlikely
    Annielens town

I appreciate all the comments here, though I don't agree with all of them.

I'm starting the process by seeing if I can get every co-op member to respond to a "roll call" in game chat. If someone does not respond to repeated calls over many days, we will consider dropping them from the co-op. The first criterium for membership is, respond when your name is called.