Thread: Forums Guide: (Posting Threads, Editing Profiles, Changing Avatars, etc.)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Forums Guide: (Posting Threads, Editing Profiles, Changing Avatars, etc.)

Please be sure to first review the overall forum rules.

Township's forum is run by Playrix Staff (who pop in when they have a free moment) and moderated by Nevada, Bess and Dread (volunteers, not staff). 95% of the people you'll interact with here will be your fellow players.

Special thanks to Graylady for compiling the below information.

---

Table of Contents:

How do I see the latest posts?
    What is a sticky thread?
    How do I reply to a thread?
    How do I insert someone's text in my reply?
    How do I start my own thread?
    How do I edit or delete a post?
    How do I add a signature?
    How do I customize my avatar?
    How do I edit my profile?
    How do I search the forums?
    How do I find my own posts?
    I timed out. How do I retrieve my post?
    What do I do if I see spam or an inappropriate post/private message?
    My post/thread disappeared. How do I know what happened to it?
    My post/thread was moderated. What does that mean?

---

How do I see the latest posts?

On the main menu bar above, you will see a button marked "What's New?" and "New Posts."

"What's New?" will take you to the Activity Steam, which displays the latest posts in reverse order (latest first).

"New Posts" will take you to "New Posts," which displays the latest threads with recent posts in reverse order (latest first)

Please bear in mind that these results are not separated by game. Posts from the Township, Fishdom, and Gardenscapes forums appear together.

---

What is a sticky thread?

A sticky thread appears on top of all pages of a sub-forum. They have a yellow tag and the word "sticky" before their title. These threads are usually highly important/must-reads. Occasionally, there will be a few fun ones.

New players are advised to go through most (if not all) of them.

Only forum moderators and Playrix Staff can make stickies.

---

How do I reply to a thread?

Click on the thread you want to respond to and then scroll to the bottom.

There will be a box at the bottom that you can "Quick Reply" with...enter your text, click "Post Quick Reply," and voila!

You can also click "Go Advanced" if what you type is going to be particularly long or you want to add images or html.

---

How do I insert someone's text in my reply?

In very long thread, it's easier to understand posts if we know who someone is replying directly to.

If you want to reply to a specific post, click on the "Reply With Quote" button at the bottom right of that post. This will add the other poster's name and message into your answer.

If the other poster's message is super long and you want to reply to just a part of it, you can delete the extra. When you edit the text, just make sure you keep these 2 markers : [ QUOTE ] and [ /QUOTE ] These are important to identify what was written by the other poster.

Note: I had to insert space between the brackets and the word "QUOTE" to have the markers show up. To work properly, yours shouldn't have any spaces.

---

How do I start my own thread?

To start a new thread, click on the relevant sub-forum. For example, if you want to talk about your co-op, be sure to post in the "Co-op & Regatta Discussions" sub-forum.

Then click on the big blue "+Post New Thread" button on the top left.

Enter your text...click "Submit New Thread"...and voila!

Note: If your post is particularly long, contains complicated links, or a lot of pictures, there's a chance that it may tell you that a moderator has to approve it. As there are now three moderators, you can feel comfortable that your post will be reviewed shortly (within a day or so) and cleared. You don't have to worry about posting it again. Such posts may occasionally be edited by the moderators to prevent them needing repeated approval.

---

How do I edit or delete a post?

To edit, click the "edit post" button (bottom right of your post). Change whatever you need and save.

To delete, click the "edit post" button (bottom right of your post). Then click "Go Advanced." There will be a box at the top with delete options.

---

How do I add a signature?

Click the "Settings" button on the top right-hand corner of the screen.

On the left, you will see a section called "My Settings" with different options including "Edit Signature."

The next screen will have a preview on top and a box below to write your text.

Enter the text you want and then click the button "Save Signature" at the bottom right of the writing box.

Note: Signatures have a 500 character limit. If you go over, it will warn you/not allow you to save. Please don't use your signature to spam you coop advert into every post you make. We have recruitment threads for those.

---

How do I customize my avatar?

On the left, you will see a section called "My Settings" with different options including 'Edit Avatar.'

Click the "Edit Avatar" button.

Click the "Choose File" button and select the image you want from your computer, then choose "Use Custom Avatar" and save changes.

Note: Avatar size is 80x80. To avoid a distorted/fuzzy avatar, be sure to use an image editing program to resize.

---

How do I edit my profile?

On the left, you will see a section called "My Settings" with different options including "Edit Profile."

Enter the information you want and then click "Save Changes."

---

How do I search the forums?

The search bar is located on the right side of the screen. That big old white thing over there.

The more information you can provide the better your results will be. "Advanced Search" options are especially helpful.

---

How do I find my own posts?

Click "My Profile" on the top right of the page.

There will be a "My Activity" tab. If you don't have any forum friends added, all your posts should be immediately visible.

If you do have forum friends added, click the second filter (should be your account name) to just see your posts.

---

I timed out. How do I retrieve my post?

Sometimes, your login times out while writing a long post. If that happens and the system will not accept your post:

Click on the button "Go Advanced" at the bottom right.

A login page should pop up (usually with your data already). Login.

Your post should reappear. Click on "Submit Reply" on the bottom right.

---

What do I do if I see spam or an inappropriate post/private message?

There is a specific link that allows you to report a post/private message. It's a "!" in a triangle shape and appears on the bottom left grey bar (just underneath a post).

sign.png

It sends an email directly to moderators and thus allows us to act quickly.

---

My post/thread disappeared. How do I know what happened to it?

First off, refer back to the question "How do I find my own posts?" above.

If your post/thread appears on your profile, it's likely that it has been moved or merged into a related thread to keep things organized. You can click on it in your profile to be directly linked.

Moved/merged threads may also have a "thread redirect" in the sub-forum you originally posted. These are temporary and usually last 1 day (how active the forum member is, etc.). Clicking that will take you to the beginning of the related thread -- meaning you'll have to go to the last page(s) to locate it. Moved/merged posts in other members' threads unfortunately don't have a redirect feature.

If your post/thread is missing from your profile, it's likely that it has been deleted. In that case, you may receive a notification that it has been deleted for "such and such reason."

You are not allowed to question disciplinary actions moderators/admin take (closing forum threads, deleting forum posts/threads/toxic forumers’ accounts, etc.). These are never done lightly; you can be sure they are based on legitimate reasoning. We're here to be helpers, not dictators.

---

My post/thread was moderated. What does that mean?

That's the forum's automated spam filter kicking into gear. It tends to pick out posts that are long, feature different text colors, sizes, external links, etc. Basically, the more complicated a post the more the forum wants to double check that it's not spam. Members used to trick it by posting something like "1...2...3" and then editing in their desired text.

You no longer have to do that. The moderation queue (where those posts/threads are stored) is now clear and moderators make sure to release anything that falls in there on a daily basis.

---

If your question has gone unanswered, please browse the Board FAQ.

If you need further clarification, please create a thread here.

We hope you enjoy your forum experience!
    Last edited by Bessville; 11-01-2018 at 06:00 AM.
    Town: Amoria (Level 90)
    Platform: iOS (WVMX6K) + Facebook
    Always looking for friends who are kind, helpful, & design their towns to look like real ones.