Thread: Profile Picture linked to facebook will not update

Unhappy Profile Picture linked to facebook will not update

The profile picture linked in my game to my facebook profile picture will not update. The picture is a Christmas photo and has been there since I linked to facebook in November 2016.

I've searched the forums and have seen the following "suggestions" but nothing works:

Some suggest that other game players see my current facebook profile picture only I see the old one - I've asked fellow players and they all see the Christmas photo.

Some suggest deleting the game and reinstalling app - If I delete the game I will lose all my data so I don't want to do that and have to start over

Some suggest shutting down my ipad. I've done this, cleared history etc but it has not worked.

Anyone have another suggestion?

Missy has come up with several methods to try to kick it into gear. I've added a few things that made it work for me.

Note this is for IOS (iphones/ipads) only. For other people reading, I'm not sure how to do this on Android.

Method #1:
    1. Open Facebook.
    2. Change the privacy of the profile picture you no longer want to any non-public status. Township will not be able to connect to it anymore. The next server sync (might be a few days) should force the game to connect to the new public profile picture. If you've already deleted the profile picture you didn't want or this doesn't work, try the next method.

Method #2:
    1. Open Township and disconnect the game from Facebook in the game settings.
    2. Open your device settings, tap on Facebook, and log out of your account.
    3. Open the Safari browser and make sure you are logged out of Facebook there too (should be automatic because of second step but sometimes it lags).
    4. Restart your device.
    5. Open your device settings, tap on Facebook, and log into your account.
    6. Open Township and reconnect to Facebook in the game settings. If that doesn't work, there's the final method.

Method #3:
    1. Open your device settings and tap on Game Center.
    2. Make sure you are logged into Game Center (your Apple ID should be displayed/you shouldn't have to enter information). Game Center is what saves your Township data (Facebook theoretically also backs it up but it's not trustworthy).
    3. Open your device settings, tap on Facebook, and make sure you are logged into your account.
    3. Uninstall Township.
    4. Reinstall Township. Start the game and re-authorize Facebook in the game settings. It will likely prompt you with some message like "Are you sure you want to authorize connection to Facebook," say yes.

Uninstalling always feels risky, but it's the quickest way to get the sync going. I've done it several times with no issue.

As long as you are logged into Game Center, you will not lose any of your Township data.
    Last edited by Amoria; 04-05-2017 at 09:05 PM.
    Town: Amoria (Level 90)
    Platform: iOS (WVMX6K) + Facebook
    Always looking for friends who are kind, helpful, & design their towns to look like real ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Amoria View Post
    Missy has come up with several methods to try to kick it into gear. I've added a few things that made it work for me.

Note this is for IOS (iphones/ipads) only. For other people reading, I'm not sure how to do this on Android.

Method #1:
    1. Open Facebook.
    2. Change the privacy of the profile picture you no longer want to any non-public status. Township will not be able to connect to it anymore. The next server sync (might be a few days) should force the game to connect to the new public profile picture. If you've already deleted the profile picture you didn't want or this doesn't work, try the next method.

Method #2:
    1. Open Township and disconnect the game from Facebook in the game settings.
    2. Open your device settings, tap on Facebook, and log out of your account.
    3. Open the Safari browser and make sure you are logged out of Facebook there too (should be automatic because of second step but sometimes it lags).
    4. Restart your device.
    5. Open your device settings, tap on Facebook, and log into your account.
    6. Open Township and reconnect to Facebook in the game settings. If that doesn't work, there's the final method.

Method #3:
    1. Open your device settings and tap on Game Center.
    2. Make sure you are logged into Game Center (your Apple ID should be displayed/you shouldn't have to enter information). Game Center is what saves your Township data (Facebook theoretically also backs it up but it's not trustworthy).
    3. Open your device settings, tap on Facebook, and make sure you are logged into your account.
    3. Uninstall Township.
    4. Reinstall Township. Start the game and re-authorize Facebook in the game settings. It will likely prompt you with some message like "Are you sure you want to authorize connection to Facebook," say yes.

Uninstalling always feels risky, but it's the quickest way to get the sync going. I've done it several times with no issue.

As long as you are logged into Game Center, you will not lose any of your Township data.

I've tried all but the last one. On my ipad when I go to delete the app it says "caution you will lose all data by deleting this app". I'm afraid if I delete and reinstall that I will have to start over. If that is not the case, please let me know.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the game a few times, and I never lost my progress.

I had the same issue. Thanks Tazgirl. I tried your last suggestion and it worked perfectly and updated my pic to my FB profile pic. I also got the warnings that all data would be deleted. But I was signed in to both Game Center and FB. So when I went to the app store to reload Township.

It worked perfectly and no loss of progress. I used Method 3.

Same problem! my facebook pic didn't show up in the game despite i joined the game to my fb accaount, fix that please!
    Last edited by dreadnought; 05-15-2019 at 02:34 PM.