Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Characters With Disabilities

It's not about social justice. It's about me seeing folks who look like me in the game. Not sure why you'd lump us disabled in with criminals, anyway! They have Black folks and other folks of color in Township, which is awesome! I hope you wouldn't equate or feel they're on the level of criminals.

Of course, I'm sure there was resistance to that addition, too.

I want someone in the game who looks like me too!
    Town - DALISCAPE
    Coop - seul en mer(#SEU82G)
    Be kind.

I am 100% disability from my injuries during my service to my country. I am also confined to a wheelchair; from the Vietnam War. It is a type of prison, and I do not want to wear it as a badge of honor, because people have a tendency to stare. I have heard kids ask their parents "why is he in that wheelchair". Then the parents guide their kids to get as far away as possible. Treating me as if I have lepercy (sp). Opposite: I get a "welcome home", or a "thank you for your service once in awhile. Last, the war also left me with a gift" PTSD, depression, nightmares, & and reoccurring intrusive thoughts about my injuries, over & over. Group therapy with other vets with same symptoms, is the highlight of my week. Bitterness is not pleasant.

Ravensville

P.S. How is this for Reality? Parking spaces in any city is a major problem. Do have a testing ground (we already have it, but only use the lower half with the cars moving in and out occassionally.). Plus, put a few parked cars in the parking spaces, and allow us to purchase more than one, So, we can put a few around town. Last, give a a few more parking garages as well.

What would a depressed person look like? What would a criminal look like?

I support this idea. There is one gentleman character that uses a cane, but there needs to be more. Diverse representation adds to the game. I prefer a game that is inclusive of different ages, sizes, ethnicities, dis/abilities etc. I wouldn't want to play a game that was only male characters or only young adults or only white folks.

Level: over 100
    Upgrades: all Trains & Islands 50 percent time. all Factories at 8 shelves
    Zoo: all restaurants purchased

Quote Originally Posted by reenactor97 View Post
    I am 100% disability from my injuries during my service to my country. I am also confined to a wheelchair; from the Vietnam War. It is a type of prison, and I do not want to wear it as a badge of honor, because people have a tendency to stare. I have heard kids ask their parents "why is he in that wheelchair". Then the parents guide their kids to get as far away as possible. Treating me as if I have lepercy (sp). Opposite: I get a "welcome home", or a "thank you for your service once in awhile. Last, the war also left me with a gift" PTSD, depression, nightmares, & and reoccurring intrusive thoughts about my injuries, over & over. Group therapy with other vets with same symptoms, is the highlight of my week. Bitterness is not pleasant.

Ravensville

P.S. How is this for Reality? Parking spaces in any city is a major problem. Do have a testing ground (we already have it, but only use the lower half with the cars moving in and out occassionally.). Plus, put a few parked cars in the parking spaces, and allow us to purchase more than one, So, we can put a few around town. Last, give a a few more parking garages as well.
    Reenactor, thank you for your service...much appreciated!

This may be a "fantasy" game but acceptance comes through integration in Township and RL.

I think it only appropriate to have townies in wheelchairs and such.
    Game Name: This Is It
    Town Name: Hank
    Town Level: 173
    Castaway Co op
    Platform: Kindle Fire
    I'm Loving Memory of My Dear Friend and a founding Member of The Bonkers and Sucker's Spending Club: Love You, Kim

I really like this idea. I don't think it's just about being inclusive, but more about normalizing seeing people with disabilities, so adding some new characters with disabilities would be a great addition.

I don't want to speak on anyone's behalf (but apparently I'm going to anyway).

I don't believe anyone meant to equate people with disabilities to criminals (etc). IIRC, there has been conversation in the past about including criminals (I believe essentially the police dragging someone away in cuffs), and what is being reffered to in this instance is that sometimes trying to be "correct" can go too far. Where do we draw the line at having "everything included for the sake of correctness"?

It surprises me that there's not (to my knowledge) been any requests of an LGBT+ nature.
    Where are the women walking round in hijabs?
    The men in Judenhuts?
    When does it end?
    Then what is the solution for anyone offended that certain "groups" have been added?

Personally, for the reason given above, (normalising), I would like to see a couple wheelchairs/canes/crutches around town. Maybe someone with an aid dog.
    But again... Where do we draw the line?

Honestly, I feel like I've seen someone in a wheelchair before, but maybe I'm imagining things... :/
    IMPORTANT: As a Township moderator, I only have power to maintain its forum.
    - Township Support.
    - Before posting a question, please make use of:
    Township Wiki,
    • the stickies on top of each sub-forum,
    • the search function to see previous posts.

”Met a man wearin' a t-shirt, says "Virginia is for lovers"
    Had a Bible in his left hand and a bottle in the other
    He said "all you're really given is the sunshine and your name"
    We both started laughin' when the sky started to rain”

Well I think representing all aspects is cool...

My town magic it is not bogged down by the worlds ills I come to my town to get away from the worlds troubles and politics, that's what face book is for ha-ha....

but I do think LGBT+ representation would be great...
    Mary
    Co-op Peoples Choice #PE4MV6
    Town deadend
    Level 89

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
    I don't want to speak on anyone's behalf (but apparently I'm going to anyway).

I don't believe anyone meant to equate people with disabilities to criminals (etc). IIRC, there has been conversation in the past about including criminals (I believe essentially the police dragging someone away in cuffs), and what is being reffered to in this instance is that sometimes trying to be "correct" can go too far. Where do we draw the line at having "everything included for the sake of correctness"?

It surprises me that there's not (to my knowledge) been any requests of an LGBT+ nature.
    Where are the women walking round in hijabs?
    The men in Judenhuts?
    When does it end?
    Then what is the solution for anyone offended that certain "groups" have been added?

Personally, for the reason given above, (normalising), I would like to see a couple wheelchairs/canes/crutches around town. Maybe someone with an aid dog.
    But again... Where do we draw the line?

Honestly, I feel like I've seen someone in a wheelchair before, but maybe I'm imagining things... :/
    I'd love to see the odd wheelchair user or someone on a mobility scooter, and not just an elderly person on it either. After all, they are very commonplace and not some horrendous reminder of real life.

Asking for some visibly disabled townsfolk is not the thin end of the wedge that ends with every obscure interest group wanting to be represented, so no need to wonder where we draw the line. I think the line would be drawn at what isnt a normal part of ordinary life and what you would see walking down any street in a town. So, yes, hijabs, seeing-eye dogs, wheelchairs, LGBT (although how do they look different from anyone else?). Probably there are loads of disabled people in Township, anyway - you can't tell who is deaf, partially sighted, autistic, artificial limbs etc. Or stuck in bed in one of those hideous high rises.

It's a shame that disability was included in a list of social ills of real life that might not be wanted in TS. Imagine how a sick or disabled player would feel reading that? (and many of us play from our beds or wheelchairs so its not like its a rare thing). Surely we'd all like to see ourselves in our towns.