Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions for experts about layout

snissen

Questions for experts about layout

In the FAQs, a few of the more experienced players mentioned that they saved money by not expanding land until they had to. That leaves me, a newbie to town simulations, with a few questions about how to lay out my town:

1. I understand the idea of grouping active items (fields, animals, factories) into "watch zones", while isolating static items (house, community buildings) to the periphery, the better to focus on one screen the items requiring your attention. But I have trouble finding the factory I need in all the visual clutter, so I have to leave some spacing around them, which meant I had to expand early. Is there a better way to do this? I'd hate to have to stop playing due to vision headaches

2. (Related topic) If you're not expanding early, do you just cram all the static items (houses, community buildings) together? Or do you use some logic or esthetic that calls for decorations, spacing and grouping? Two examples: a) Do you vary the houses in a neighborhood and put space and trees between them? Do you even think in terms of "neighborhoods"? b) Do you have theme areas, like a wedding plaza, university park, recreation beach?

3. So, in the interest of saving land, why build roads at all, except as spacing? Is there any reason, in the logic of the game, to make buildings reachable by roads? If so, does it matter what kinds of roads? (Hint: want to tie up traffic? Build a roundabout.)

4. Finally, an unrelated question about the mine: I just noticed that some blocks in the mine are different colors, more than just open or filled. I think the gray color means a harder surface, which takes more effort to clear. But there's a darker colored block too, and I don't know what that means. I love the guides that y'all have posted that list objects in the game and their values. (Me, I'm keeping an ingredients list.) Have you posted similar information about the colored blocks in the mine?

Thanks for listening. I love the community aspect to this game. Sande
    Last edited by snissen; 08-31-2015 at 09:07 PM.

Hi snissen

I'm afraid you won't find a single answer as every player found it's own way to do thing according to what was available when they were building things. As this changed a lot over time, every one has to create it's own solution. Many long time players had to squeeze everything together at one point because we did not have all the land players have right now.

As for the roads, it is up to you to use them or not. They are more a decoration or spacer and they have no specific role but don't forget the Achievement for using them.

In the mine we have dirt: dark brown, then light brown.
    We have grey rock that we can dig and very dark textured rock that can't be destroyed (you have to go around them).

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but how do I look at other peoples towns - those that are not on my friends list.....
    I would love to look at the towns of some of the long term players that I see on the forum.
    Lyndie

Lyndie - the only way to see anyone's town is through a friend connection in the game itself - we can see towns of our actual friends, pending friends, and find friends.

vanla
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyndie View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but how do I look at other peoples towns - those that are not on my friends list.....
    I would love to look at the towns of some of the long term players that I see on the forum.
    Lyndie
    I'm not sure if that's possible, however, if you're at the stage where you can send planes, you can check out the global top leaderboard at the airport to visit the towns of the 100 players who accumulated the most airport wings, those are high level players

Hi Vanla

We don't know who see who on that leaderboard. Finding forums members is not easy either. On the global top, I see Barbara and Elaine which are forums members but I don't see Cpws which should be there. I am there but people don't see Graylady, they see my real name. Beside, I'm sure I'm not on everyone list either.

I agree with Nana. The way to visit forums member's town, is through the friends system into the game.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Graylady View Post
    Hi Vanla

We don't know who see who on that leaderboard. Finding forums members is not easy either. On the global top, I see Barbara and Elaine which are forums members but I don't see Cpws which should be there. I am there but people don't see Graylady, they see my real name. Beside, I'm sure I'm not on everyone list either.

I agree with Nana. The way to visit forums member's town, is through the friends system into the game.
    Thanks all for your replies. I'll check the leaderboard now. It would be great if the avatar on the forum linked to that persons town..... I often see comments on people's layouts and itch to take a peek.
    Lyndie.

ElaineD1717

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Graylady View Post
    Hi Vanla

Everyone's welcome to visit me!! We'll share a glass of wine along the Riverwalk. It will have to be an afternoon engagement, however, since mornings and evenings don't come to our fair towns!!!

Please reserve a lovely scenic spot for me, Elaine. Would it be possible to sip a Brandy Manhattan as I inhale the lovely, misty ocean air?

ElaineD1717
    Nana...I have a perfect table all picked out and the bar tender is at our service with a knack for making our favorite drinks. I do believe we have more room at our table should any of our friends care to join us!! But the table is only for those supportive friends who believe in sticking by one another through thick or thin.