Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting regatta with a ton of points

Starting regatta with a ton of points

I don't want to cry cheating because I am a lower level player and so are most of my team mates. I mostly just want to wrap my brain around this and get some advice on how to compete against these sort of teams. We have 22 racing with levels from 26-50. Most are in the mid to high 30 levels. We are in the Golden league.
    I understand people spend real money on the game to use tons of t-cash and that you can prepare for the regatta by having your trains and planes ready to go. Also you can recall the tasks from the last time, say make 12 ice cream cones and have all 6 ready to go at the start.
    However, right at the beginning of the regatta the leading team had over 1,000 points. I'm not talking about 12 hours in I'm talking within 5 minutes they had that much and have continued on to collect almost 29,000 points at this point in the regatta. Their levels range from 56-101. There is 2 days left in the regatta.
    Our team has 100% participation with most doing around 8-9 tasks but some doing the max. Still, we are way far from the top 3 and don't even have a fighting chance at this point. Totally cool, it's just for fun, but we aren't even scratching the surface here and I want to know why.
    I want to understand how they could get so many points right off the bat. There is 11 available tasks that take 20(?) Min to refresh. I am not sure but from what I understand and have experienced that if everyone picks up the tasks you have to wait for one for yourself. Even if that's not true, only some are immediate tasks where you are called to make one item. Otherwise, there are feeding tasks, plane, train and boat tasks. There is no way to do those immediately. Even if you had your first round ready, you would have to wait for the next plane, train or boat to finish the task. Most tasks call for 7-10 trains. That's 3 rounds of waiting in between. Say you were to use t-cash to get them immediately back. You would have to be completely lucky to have everything ready to fill. Sure you can ask for help and you may have a really big barn. But as far as the barn theories I have read, they don't add up for me, because even if your barn is larger, you did that by leveling up many times, which increases the amount of items in play significantly.
    So basically I just want to hear from the big dogs, how does a team finish 10-12 tasks in 5 minutes at midnight when the regatta starts? Is it possible to get only "make X amount of Y tasks" in your task bank so there's a chance there would be no waiting in between? Do you think they are playing legitimately?
    Also, if you do the math 29,000 / 20 people is 1,450 each person. If the maximum number of tasks is 15 and the average task is 105-110 then that means everyone has already done the maximum or close to it, and quite possibly have paid for the extra one. Wouldn't their score cap at some point when everyone has done the max tasks. At what point do you think that would happen? My guess is at around 32-33k points, which they are really close to considering.
    I understand people really love this game, I absolutely do. However, it is impossible for me to spend unlimited amounts of money to get my goods transportation back right away and make stuff immediately and also to play constantly all day long without having to do other things or take a break while I wait for stuff to be made.
    Please help me understand if not help my team compete against this very surprising development I have come across!
    Sorry so long. Thanks for reading!

Well, not sure that what I do as a solo racer would apply to a large team, but here's how I get off to a very fast start:
    1. I spend the first few hours, sometimes all of Tuesday just dumping the tasks I won't do
    2. I get head starts wherever I can on the tasks I will do, such as 4 boats sent for an item, all factory tasks started with at least 5 items, zoo hots collection underway, no honey, wool or bacon collected just in case
    3. Keep dumping, looking for the super fast tasks
    4. At this point I have until the first factory clogs up or the boats come back before I have to make a decision to start
    5. When I do start, I do fastest tasks first, HOL, mining, helicopters, zoo, feed animals
    6. Now it's time to worry about the 2nd tier tasks like clicking start on the boats if they are back, or planting crops or hitting start on a factory task if either could be completed before the boats come back

I usually get the first 4 tasks in under an hour, the first 7 -9 in about 3 hours and aim for 12-15 done the first day. I like to reserve one for overnight and have a choice of 2 or 3 almost done for next morning's coffee.

You probably will not be able to do all the overlapping that I do unless your team is unusually good at communicating and reserving tasks, but you should be able to dump and plan a strategy for awhile before you hit the water.
    On a team of 22 the points will count more than speed anyway, so I'm not sure you need to worry about speed or fast starts. In your case, I would give the super fast tasks to the people who have trouble finishing all their tasks.
    Also in your case, 100% participation might not be doing you a favour if most of those people can only do slightly more than half the possible tasks. Maybe get a system going where some people opt out every week and a smaller group races harder.

1000 points in the first few minutes just means that about 1/3 of that team has posted high scoring tasks early in the regatta, and the server has been a bit laggy delivering the bad news.
    You can do this to someone next week lol. Just get 7 or 8 people poised and prepared to hit the water with 125 and overs that are done or nearly done at their start.

Township: Pixelsticks
    Co op: Float My Boat
    Faster than faster than the wind

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the advice.
    I am having trouble understanding how you get the "quick" tasks done so fast. Say for instance make 10 hats or make 12 ice cream cones. Even if you have the 6 ready and all the ingredients, you are still waiting for those to finish. Are you using a ton of t-cash?
    Which tasks are you able to finish in an hour, just for an example, so I can wrap my head around it?
    Also, aren't the tasks you dump counted against you? I thought there was some sort of consequence, like counting as one of your task.
    I appreciate your advice and I can see how you can get things done fast if you strategize. If dumping tasks doesn't count against you, then yes that's a great idea. However you do have to wait after dumping the tasks, so I don't see how this was a strategy for the winning team. I understand speed isn't the biggest thing in our regatta, however I just saw the ridiculously fast accumulation of points as something fishy.

Thank you again for your reply.

Which tasks are you able to finish in an hour? Mining, House of Luck, Helicopter orders, and, if it is offered, collecting milk while using a boost to double animal output. Those are some I can think of off the top of my head.

You need to keep in mind that some people have upgraded their factories so they are 20% faster than a non-upgraded version. Then, if they use the boost that makes all factories 30% faster, now their factories produce items in half the time they did when they were first built. So, if someone picks a task to make say, 12 shirts, and they already have all the cotton cloth made, then they start it before they take the task and have six waiting on the factory shelves, then after they take it, they only have six more to make. Off the top of my head, I cannot remember how long it takes to make one shirt, so maybe you still cannot make six in an hour, but I am just using them as an example. There are things that could definitely make quite a few in an hour at half time.

Same with planting crops ahead of time then, right as you take the task, use a boost that doubles the crops. If you figured correctly and had half of what you needed for the task planted ahead of time, all you have to do is harvest them and you're done.

Those are just some ways to complete regatta tasks quickly. I am sure others will have other/better ideas.
    Township Called: Lakeland Hills
    Co-Op Named: Friendly Farmers #FRG5G5
    Playing On Android
    Level: 101
    No Zoo

Peggy covered most of mine, but I would add zoo hots (just over an hour on an average day and under on a great menu), wheat, omg I love the wheat growing lol, feeding animals is 80 mins for me, and a middle item boat is instant IF you sent the boat 6 hours or whatever ago and used ingots.
    Also, the factory tasks which work well are the low number ones, 8 items or so. I do sometimes use t cash to speed up the last factory item if another task is ready to go, but my usual strategy I call under 30 - under 30 t cash (including the 16th task) and under 30 hours. The fun part for me is calculating the most efficient way to achieve that each race.

On a big team I guess I would encourage people to wait for tasks they want and can do quickly rather than trying to look busy in case the boss shows up. When I had a larger team, I had 2 people who would consistently pick the til the race is over time limit ones like trains, thinking this can't possibly fail and at least I will get one done. This is a bad plan in my experience lol. Better to ask if they have the next 2 hours to play and then try to get them to take animals or helicopters or hol if it's there.

Co op: Float My Boat
    High seas strategist

Wassup, CrazyTown! There is a lot of information already revealed by Garvamatic and Peggy. I'm about to hit you with some more. LOL

The regatta offers serious opportunities for analysis and optimization. You and your team should consider as many points as possible from the following list:
    * How active (number of hours playing per day)
    * How helpful (lower levels don't have all the factories; their upgrades are minimal; their strategies may need fine-tuning)
    * How thrifty (T-cash strategies are hugely different, depending on whether you spend 0, a little or a lot)
    * Which tasks are dogs (not just low-scoring, but "bang-for-the-buck" efficiency)
    * How competitive do you all want to be?

So, let's break those down!

How Active
    If you play more than six hours a day, you can do a lot more planning than someone who pops in only during lunch hour. Hopefully, the regatta planners in the co-op are active enough to monitor progress and interested enough in recording it for future reference. It's the only way to consistently improve.

Monitoring consists of seeing who likes what, who communicates (and doesn't!), what the average task score is, etc. Recording things is a subjective process. I record the race task points of each player, when I can. I also record how many potential points were left on the table, so that we can decide future thresholds, such as dropping all tasks below 133.

How Helpful
    The resources each co-op member brings include fields, as well as the number of ships and trains , factories, zoo resources and mining tools. Beyond that, the size of their barns, the level of upgrades to trains and factories and their willingness to use ingots on ships will determine their potential. Maximizing the use of the Request Products buttons will help team mates score clovers for HOL.

How Thrifty
    I consider three distinct strategies: Zero T-Cash, Conservative T-Cash and Liberal T-Cash. Again, this is subjective, but an example of conservative use of T-cash is buying a few clovers to complete that HOL task.

Dog Tasks
    After carefully analyzing every available task (Thank You, BrendonL!!!), I have identified the key performance indicator as a unit I call quantity per hour (qph).
    wc-task ranking ships 135.jpg

Quantity per hour is calculated differently for each class of tasks but, essentially, it is that amount of "product" you can collect, harvest or manufacture in one hour.

Take the 135 Ship tasks. Trips to and from the four islands take different amounts of time, so that factors into the overall efficiency of a task. Instinctively, shrimp tasks might seem to be the best, because you can get all eight in one trip. Indeed, watermelon tasks are only marginally more efficient. Circumstances will obviously dictate which one you should take, when you have that lucky choice!

For example, do you have enough ships? Do you have enough time for a pre-loading cycle? Do you have enough time to get a second load? If time is running out, are you willing to spend ingots to maximize loads and/or spend T-cash to hurry ships?

Ranking the tasks helps you decide which ones to dump. Crops are tough for players with fewer than 70 fields. Even with all 115 fields, you can't just stop everything for 15 hours while you grow silk! Careful analysis of qph will help you minimize field usage.
    (Hint: coffee plant, jasmine, rice and rose are dogs! Read why at my blog: Harvester)

One final word about ranking tasks: your analysis may be biased, depending on your perception of the game, misapplied statistics and just plain faulty assumptions. My first iteration of the task ranking was awful, as I didn't take qph into account at all. This version is a bit better, but still assumes mid-level player resources. Also, I never did the zoo task, so I have no idea...LOL

Competitiveness
    This is the job of the co-op leader. Establish expectations, desires and rules. If you want a competitive co-op, make sure each member understands what their minimum requirements are. If you are kicking members for non-compliance, try to make that clear, up front.

I have found that, even if the official stance is "Casual", the level of competition naturally arises. Something about sucky rewards in 6th place, I guess!

I hope this gives you some idea of what some of us do in regattas. If you visit my blog, you'll find even more (excruciating, even) detail.
    When I get time, I plan to flesh out the blog so that my co-op members have as much info as they need.

Cheers,

Mitch
    Mitchell Allen

Hi Mitchell! I looked at your qhp charts but my brain has always had trouble with charts, lol! Anyway, what I am most curious about are the four crops you mention. Coffee, rice, jasmine and roses. You use the term 'dog' tasks but I am unclear whether that means they are good tasks or bad. I love dogs, so my mind automatically thought 'good' but then I remembered the phrase 'the dog days of summer' which makes me think of extremely long, hot days. So, are you say that those four, in particular, are not good ones to do? Or the opposite, that those four are the best ones?

I am not, in any way, disagreeing with your findings, I am just trying to understand them.
    Playing On Android
    No Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy77 View Post
    Hi Mitchell! I looked at your qhp charts but my brain has always had trouble with charts, lol! Anyway, what I am most curious about are the four crops you mention. Coffee, rice, jasmine and roses. You use the term 'dog' tasks but I am unclear whether that means they are good tasks or bad. I love dogs, so my mind automatically thought 'good' but then I remembered the phrase 'the dog days of summer' which makes me think of extremely long, hot days. So, are you say that those four, in particular, are not good ones to do? Or the opposite, that those four are the best ones?

I am not, in any way, disagreeing with your findings, I am just trying to understand them.
    I am pretty sure dog means bad in this context, though I have had good luck with the rose tasks.

As for Mitchell's chart and analysis overall, I just gotta say Holy Cow! I thought I was overdoing the analysis part lol.

One thing I would mention though is that quantity per hour doesn't really capture the quality of the tasks as much as it could since it works on a sort of 1 thing at a time assumption, as though a racer is going to devote this many hours to doing only that one thing. In actual fact, you can get a whole lot done, factory tasks doubled up and several tasks completed while waiting for shrimp boats to return, so I would tend to add a few quality points to boats and subtract a few from crops. Also the amount of time that Playrix assigns to each task is usually much more than the time required, sometimes as in zoo hots and helicopters insanely overestimated.

But really, just quibbling. That's an amazing chart.

Mood: humble
    Last edited by Garvamatic; 01-29-2017 at 07:17 PM. Reason: I am dumb

Quote Originally Posted by Garvamatic View Post
    I am pretty sure dog means bad in this context, though I have had good luck with the rose tasks.

As for Mitchell's chart and analysis overall, I just gotta say Holy Cow! I thought I was overdoing the analysis part lol.

One thing I would mention though is the quality per hour is actually more of a quantitative measurement than maybe it should be since it works on a sort of 1 thing at a time assumption, as though a racer is going to devote this many hours to doing only that one thing. In actual fact, you can get a whole lot done, factory tasks doubled up and several tasks completed while waiting for shrimp boats to return, so I would tend to add a few quality points to boats and subtract a few from crops.

But really, just quibbling. That's an amazing chart.

Mood: humble
    Yes, I kind of figured that's what he meant, too, but just wasn't sure. Thank you for answering though.
    Playing On Android
    No Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy77 View Post

Hiya, Peggy! As Garvamatic pointed out, "dog" is bad in this case. I love dogs, too, but I love idioms even more. LOL

Anyway, starting with Wheat, the task duration increases in an orderly fashion, from the fastest growing crop to the slowest. But only if you take out those four crops! Actually, Pine Trees and Potatoes have more generous time allowances, but still...

If jasmine were more "fair", its task duration would not be ten hours. It would be something between tomato's 15 and pepper's 19.

Despite the qph and ranking, any crop task can be done if you have pre-planted at least 77 fields and use the 2x Super-harvest booster.

If you don't have those luxuries, then yes, those four crops are the worst ones to attempt.

Cheers,

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitchell; 01-29-2017 at 07:33 PM. Reason: typo
    Mitchell Allen