Page 65 of 75 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself Here!

I’m past due for this post

I am an American woman and a veteran of the US Air Force 1982-92. Yeah I’m an old phart. Been married 30 years and raised 2 boys into adulthood. We have 2 rescue dogs; one small poodle/terrier mix that belongs to my oldest, and a recently adopted 7 month old puppy that we suspect is a coonhound. During my military service I traveled to many countries. After a 5 year tour in the UK I am able to speak the Queen’s English fluently. I am left-handed. My biggest dream is to go on a mission to Uganda Africa. I am also serious amateur photographer.

With intervention I gave up the cancer sticks & cussing many years ago (ref to others’ confessions ). I’d like to say I can give up on township at any time, but what would I do with all my free time???
    Baruch haba b'shem Adonai!

Township: New Jerusalem URS6LH
    Co-op: Towdah #W5N5H2
    Platform: iOS

Quote Originally Posted by F106lady View Post
    I’m past due for this post

I am an American woman and a veteran of the US Air Force 1982-92. Yeah I’m an old phart. ...
    LOL - welcome to posting, F106lady btw, I doubt you're the only old woman here... *G*
    Above all, while I don't understand everything you say (really not, lol), I like that you explain a lot of things you mention
    Happy towning!

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    LOL - welcome to posting, F106lady btw, I doubt you're the only old woman here... *G*
    Above all, while I don't understand everything you say (really not, lol), I like that you explain a lot of things you mention
    Happy towning!

Sorry I forget there’s a multi-national community here... ‘old phart’ is a cleaner version of ‘old fart’; when an American uses ‘old fart’ it means an old person who farts a lot *sheepish grin*. Yes, from reading posts I know there are *ahem* mature women here Wie gehts? I spreche auch ein bisschen Deutsch (with the help of google translator LOL)

Sorry I forget there’s a multi-national community here...
    It looked like it and just that expression I did understand, lol! from other fora - it was more the military stuff (collectibles, tech stuff) and the part with the reference to others' confessions, but not bad enough to ask/insist (prolly wouldn't understand the explanations either). In any case, thanks for using punctuation, lol!

Wie gehts? I spreche auch ein bisschen Deutsch (with the help of google translator LOL)
    that's cute, danke! I had thought before already of asking you whether you were in Germany also with your trips - were you?

btw, I'd recommend adding the # to your Coop tag in your signature; it's needed and not everyone will know it.
    Last edited by _DD_; 04-28-2019 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    ...I had thought before already of asking you whether you were in Germany also with your trips - were you?

btw, I'd recommend adding the # to your Coop tag in your signature; it's needed and not everyone will know it.
    Adding # - done

Spent in Germany, yes I have at various times. Not for more than a month. Temporary work assignment (1986), church retreat (1990), and various flight lay-overs (in mid-late 1980s).

I grew up in central Texas, in an area dominated by German culture. In high school I was motivated to take 2 years to learn the German language. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to use what I learned. I had learned the southern German and the Air Force temporarily assigned me near Leck, about 10km from the northern border. No one understood me, and I couldn’t understand them :/

I did however pull a prank on a friend. My friend’s nick-name was Goose, *everyone* called him that. He asked me to teach him how to say ‘My name is Goose’ in German. For several days I had him practicing ‘Ich bin ein dumme Gans’ (not sure if I spelled that correctly). He fell for it lol... Because Goose and I were on different work shifts it was over a week before I saw him again. When he finally did see me he was so mad he was swinging his fists, yelling ‘not only did you teach me to say I am a dumb goose, but I am a dumb *female* goose!’

*best prank ever* ROTFL
    Last edited by F106lady; 04-28-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Adding # - done
    The friends code does NOT use the #, only the Coop tag.

Spent in Germany, yes I have at various times. ...church retreat (1990), ...
    That one gets a question mark - what did you have to do there for that?

...I had learned the southern German and the Air Force temporarily assigned me near Leck, about 10km from the northern border. No one understood me, and I couldn’t understand them :/
    Astonishing... I would have expected you were taught high German in school, which is understood everywhere, and esp. in Northern Germany, cos they are close to each other. To be taught a Southern German dialect is...unusual. Lol, even here.

...For several days I had him practicing ‘Ich bin ein dumme Gans’ (not sure if I spelled that correctly).
    "eine", otherwise correct, grammar-wise. I'll just say I understand if/that he didn't call you friend anymore afterwards. I assume that also the recipient(s) of his little speech didn't understand why he was telling them that, when they expected just to hear his name.
    Last edited by _DD_; 04-28-2019 at 04:31 PM.

F106lady, you‘re so right about german accents! While I was at the university (I‘m german and studied in Mainz), I‘ve been working in the library of comparatative linguistics together with a friend who was born in Tokio and bilingual german-japanese. One day we were told to welcome a student from Japan at Frankfurt airport, who was going to study in Germany. The student had already been leaving one year in Germany and was suppoesed to speak german. We dutifully went to the airport, greeted the student, he said something, which I took to be japanese, because I couldn’t understand it. The puzzled look of my friend told me that I was wrong ... After many minutes my friend and the student resorted to japanese, and he explained that he had been living on an isolated farm in southern Bavaria, from where he got his „german“ ... he had to start from scratch, poor boy ...

Just a little aside for you F106lady (and anybody else who isn't aware) - our resident spambot very much distrusts use of the 'at' symbol within posts. We have had words with him, but he remains stubbornly likely to throw innocent posts containing it into the Moderation queue. There they sit until one of your friendly neighbourhood Mods either performs a catch and release, or deletes it if you've had more success with a later version of the post. So that symbol is better avoided where possible.

Besslady - gotcha

_DD_ - yes unusual, my teacher was a German who had immigrated as a child - German (süddeutsch?) was spoken in her home growing up.

As for my friend Goose, we were good. He knew it was a joke Working with men like I did, we were always joking or pranking with each other.

PS church ‘retreat’ hmm probably lost in translation... sort of a convention or gathering of several different churches (from both the UK and Germany) at one location.

Zimblestern - I know, right? Dialects are always fun to deal with. I always love to interact with the natives when visiting a different country, showing interest in their language & culture goes a long way
    Last edited by F106lady; 04-29-2019 at 04:41 AM.

_DD_ - yes unusual, my teacher was a German who had immigrated as a child - German (süddeutsch?) was spoken in her home growing up.
    there is no Süddeutsch as language, hence my choice of "dialect" - the differentiation is done by countries, and in this case, most probably Bayrisch for/from Bayern; it's the biggest one in Süddeutschland (and still would have differences between f.e. regions and towns).
    I still find the behaviour of that German teacher, to teach their dialect in an official teacher role, irresponsible. It's not as if they don't know high German (the correct forms).

PS church ‘retreat’ hmm probably lost in translation... sort of a convention or gathering of several different churches (from both the UK and Germany) at one location.
    yes, it is translated as Kirchenrückzug, which, frankly, doesn't make sense as word alone, so it must be sort of a name, an event (?). Who or what triggers it and invites, and to talk about what? you were participant in this case?