Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How Township Updates Are Made

How Township Updates Are Made

Hello there!

Following your requests, we made a story about how we develop game updates. This is a very complicated multi-level process, and once you install a new update, we know how the next ones are going to look like. So are you ready to get a glimpse behind the scenes?

Brainstorming

It all starts with the question: ‘How can we make Township better?’ Every game designer wakes up thinking about it. The process of improving the game never ends, so for every due update they meet for brainstorming sessions to choose the most promising ideas and prepare the so-called game design document (GDD). It contains information about the new features, how they’ll operate, and comply with the rest of the game world and basically describes tasks for the rest of the team: artists, programmers, game writers, and QA guys (the latest is not “questions and answers”; in the game industry it stands for Quality Assurance ).

From concept to image

The first ones to get their hands on the game design document are artists. Following the reference pictures provided by game designers, they use their boundless imagination to create unique Township art. Everything you see in the game—buildings and decorations, animals and characters, in-game windows, buttons and even fonts are created from scratch.

Art comes to life

Once the art is ready, the spotlight goes to programmers. They compile a prototype according to GDD to see if all the ideas are workable. Sometimes game designers come to a conclusion that in reality their ideas are far less exciting than their paper originals. At this stage they need to transform the GDD. In this case the art gets modified and programmers have to compile another prototype until the Team is satisfied with it.

If according to the GDD there’re elements (characters, dialogues, or buildings) which are supposed to be in motion, we turn to animators. These talented guys make the art alive and that’s why townspeople and animals at the Zoo look so real!

Polishing up

Once the prototype is ready, the Township team gets to the final stage of the development process: game designers recalculate the game balance according to the implemented innovations, link new factories, decorations, and enclosures with levels; game writers think of catchy texts, tips and tutorials; programmers add special effects and make final adjustments.

Crash test

One of the crucial stages is to ensure everything works properly. It’s time for the Quality Assurance team to shine! Their task is to crash everything possible that the developers have worked so hard on. And it’s a good thing if the QA guys manage to break something, because it decreases chances of our players facing game bugs. Only after that the update is submitted to appstores.

Day X

THE day comes. We’re very nervous, we’re looking forward to your reactions and reviews… That’s when our stress-resistant Customer Support and Community managers are on the lookout. If you have any problems with the game, they’re first to come to the rescue and report to the developers. These guys are also so nice that they always make sure you are having fun in the communities too!

P.S. We value our players and always consider their feedback very seriously, because this is what inspires us every day we come to work! If you have any questions, post them in the comments to this thread and we’ll be happy to answer.

We hope our friendship will continue and your towns will keep thriving forever and ever!

Very interesting to see how the steps progress from idea to finished product.

As a long time player and Forum member, I have lost track of the many, many player ideas that have been implemented into the game. It was always fun to have dialog with an Admin about our ideas - what might work, what might not, and to hear that the more workable ideas would be taken to the "team" for consideration.

When updates later appeared with some of these ideas actually implemented, it was very exciting.

This doesn't seem to happen anymore.
    Level 155
    Zoo Level 45
    IOS - iPad Air

Co-Op: Sogno Mare (Sea Dream) - Sail only for certain rewards.
    Town: Far Niente Bay

Ideas That Cannot Be Implemented At This Time (Or Ever)

Thank you Anastasia for sharing this on the Forum. I find the whole concept and process so interesting. The way that the teams work a!ongside and with each other. Now that is REAL teamwork! Thank you to the whole team(s) at Playrix who continue to make this game so enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nana View Post
    Very interesting to see how the steps progress from idea to finished product.

As a long time player and Forum member, I have lost track of the many, many player ideas that have been implemented into the game. It was always fun to have dialog with an Admin about our ideas - what might work, what might not, and to hear that the more workable ideas would be taken to the "team" for consideration.

When updates later appeared with some of these ideas actually implemented, it was very exciting.

This doesn't seem to happen anymore.
    Hello Nana!

Glad you liked the story We still implement players' suggestions in the new updates! And we'll always do that, because Townshippers' ideas are the best! Maybe it happened so that not many suggestions from the forum made it to the game lately. It could be because recently we picked some of the ones posted on Facebook or submitted to our Support Team. However, please rest assured that we collect our forumers' feedback every month!

What is for the Admin communication concerning new ideas, we'll definitely work to improve it

Quote Originally Posted by hyacinth View Post
    Thank you Anastasia for sharing this on the Forum. I find the whole concept and process so interesting. The way that the teams work a!ongside and with each other. Now that is REAL teamwork! Thank you to the whole team(s) at Playrix who continue to make this game so enjoyable.
    Thanks a ton, hyacinth! It's always a great pleasure for us to hear such kind words about our work

Hi Anastasia!
    Thanks for posting this, i had no idea of the amount of work which goes into developing a game or an update so this is a real eye opener!
    Huge thanks to the entire playrix workforce!
    Last edited by Ann; 01-16-2017 at 05:44 PM.
    Town Name Boo..........Name changes weekly, but always with a Boo!
    Friend code AA7WY3
    Town Level 154
    Coop Name Castaways
    Coop Code #CSF7JN

Hi everybody at Playrix,
    This game is sooo good! I love the design, the caracters, the animations. I spend quite a lot of time observing my citizens in my town
    Thank you for all your efforts and for the quality of Township!

Really enjoyed this article. Thank you. Looks like a great place to work. How can a gamer get a Playrix dinosaur stuffed animal? Saw it on a bookcase, it is very cute!☺

Thanks for the notice on how you update.

Quote Originally Posted by Mots-maux View Post
    Hi everybody at Playrix,
    This game is sooo good! I love the design, the caracters, the animations. I spend quite a lot of time observing my citizens in my town
    Thank you for all your efforts and for the quality of Township!
    I do the same thing. The people that are not playing, are really missing out. I love looking at the animals iin the zoo.