Thread: Help please! Broken iPad, confused about process to get my game back

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help please! Broken iPad, confused about process to get my game back

Hope this is the right place to post this.

My iPad unexpectedly broke yesterday (iPad running iOS 13). The day before that, I had saved my game under the "Save Progress" tab, using my Apple ID (I don't have Facebook). After the iPad stopped working, I thought that I could load my town on my old iPhone. I downloaded the game from the App Store and went through the tutorial, but it didn't give me an option in the gear icon, to load my old progress.

I went to the support tab, and I found the page that talks about saving progress using an Apple ID instead of Facebook. However, I noticed that it said that the device must be running iOS 13 or higher. My old iPhone runs iOS 12.

I tried to contact Support via the support tab, and the Township Bot asked me a few questions. It then said, "Let's bring your game back", then asked me for my friend code, the exact name of my town, the exact level of my town, the exact number of tcash I had, and the approximate number of residents in my town. I was of course able to answer all of these, except for the EXACT number of tcash (I knew approximately, based on a screenshot I took on Saturday - I'm a tcash miser, haha), and I was off in my recollection about the approximate number of residents I have, because I forgot I had completed building an apartment building on Sunday I believe.

Because I had presumably gotten the number of tcash wrong, or my town population wrong, it kept asking me to go through the questions again. I did it, changing the amount of tcash, because I knew what it was approximately, give or take 3-5 tcash. Each time, it would say "Unfortunately, some of the data provided was incorrect and I failed to restore your town But no need to worry - let's try one more time! Please double-check your replies before entering and make sure there are no extra details in your answer. Do you want to try it again?" So we did it a few times. After each round, we had to try again.

Finally it got to the point where I said yes, let's try it again, but there was no reply back. And since then, I have gotten no reply back in the support tab conversation. It's like it's stuck. I also sent an email to Support, and received an auto-reply, which I have since replied to.

I have ordered a new iPad and it will arrive within a week

So here are my questions:
    (1) Will I have any problems reloading my progress on my new iPad when it arrives? It will of course be running iOS 13
    (2) in the meantime, is there any way to get my game progress back on my old iPhone, even though it runs iOS 12? (it's only urgent because I'm still checked in to the regatta, and I'm the leader of my coop, so they can't even uncheck me, so I'd like to try to salvage our regatta week so we don't get demoted back to silver league)

Sorry for the long post, hope someone can help!

R.

I play on an iPad and don't think I've ever seen a Save Progress tab.

I take it the operating system on the phone can't be updated anymore?

Look for GameCenter under Settings on your phone and try logging in there with your Player ID.

You'll need to scroll a long way down. Game Center is last in the group that begins with with Music.

Thought I wrote a reply but it got erased I think...

If your iPad is running iOS 13 (mine was a 6th gen iPad on iOS 13), there is an option to save your game progress using your Apple ID. The button "Save Progress" is the 5th button when you press the gear icon. It gives the option of saving via facebook or via apple ID. Also, if you go into the help and support button, the 1st topic listed is "UPDATES AND HOT TOPICS", and under that, the last topic listed is "Saving your game progress using your Apple ID". Doesn't mention Game Center.

Hope someone can help me, I just need some reassurance that the game will load on my new iPad, I'm kind of losing it over here!

Hi Sunnyweb,

I understand this function differently.
    You log in to Facebook with your Apple ID.
    If you are not on Facebook, this function is useless.
    I read on the Apple website that you should activate the Game Center before downloading the game to a new device.

But I'm not sure if this works, because I haven't tried it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Medamana View Post
    Hi Sunnyweb,

I understand this function differently.
    You log in to Facebook with your Apple ID.
    No. iPad users log into Facebook using our Facebook ID and password just like anyone else (Windows, Android, etc).

The Apple ID is for tracking things our the iPad/ iPhone accounts. It is also the ID used to sign into our iCloud data.

The Save Progress tab is new.

On the old phone running a version of iOS 12, sign into Game Center with your same Apple ID.
    Last edited by Mayfield; 06-16-2020 at 08:00 PM.

Thanks for all the answers so far!

I'm still so confused, hahahaha. I'm looking for someone who has used their Apple ID alone, to reload the game on another Apple device. Hoping someone who has done that, can answer here! Here's what I've been able to find out so far:

At some point in the past 3 or so months, in one of the updates, Playrix made it so that there is a second option to "save progress", other than Facebook. To find it, you go to the gear icon. The 5th button you see, says "Save Your Progress". If you click on it, it gives you 2 buttons. One is login with your Apple ID, the other is login with Facebook. More information about the Apple ID option is found via the "Help and Support" button. If you go to Help and Support, and then click on UPDATES AND HOT TOPICS, at the bottom is this:
    https://playrix.helpshift.com/webcha...-your-apple-id

It says: "If you're playing on iOS or macOS, you can now save your game progress not only via Facebook, but also using your Apple ID. This feature is only available on devices running on iOS 13+ and macOS Catalina (10.15+)." Then it tells you how (using the above buttons I spoke of). Then it says this at the bottom: "Your progress will be saved. If you want to restore your progress, please follow the instructions in this article." The word "article" links to the page on "Progress Transfer", which is
    https://playrix.helpshift.com/webcha...w-device&p=web
    That page tells you all about how to transfer progress from one device to another. Clear as mud!

Now what's interesting, is that the Homescapes game's support page, gives very similar information, but it's more detailed.
    https://playrix.helpshift.com/a/home...w-device&p=web
    There, it tells you: "If you want to synchronize game progress between two iOS devices, you can use iCloud, and for devices with iOS 13.0 and higher, you can use your Apple ID."

Given that both are Playrix games, I hope the information is the same for both, and that all I need is to get my new iPad, which will run iOS 13, and all will be fine. But I'd like some confirmation of that from someone, as I'm very stressed about the whole thing, and if I need to get Support involved, the sooner the better!

Thanks for listening to my long email, hope someone can provide some more info about this.

I'm sorry for you
    Last edited by neshka; 06-21-2020 at 12:55 PM.

I thought that if we played while logged in to Game Center our progress is automatically saved there.

The idea of a forced save is useful too, especially for people who don't use FB and games known to have synching problems.

Good news! The wonderful support people have restored my game on my old iPhone! This was done via the in-game support chat. It took a day, and I had to reinstall the game. And then it gave me the choice of continuing on with my "new" town, or getting my old level 82 town back. Naturally, you know which one I chose!

I'm still confused though about how it was done. I'm not sure if it was because (a) I had correctly saved my progress via the "save with my Apple ID" button, and there was just a glitch in downloading it onto the iPhone, or if it was because (b) I misunderstood what that button does, and it wasn't truly saved, but the nice people at support helped me anyway.

I'm going to try to make a facebook account just for this, because I'll need to get my game off this iPhone and onto my new iPad when it arrives.

But if anyone has been through this, and has used their Apple ID on an iOS 13+ device, and has switched devices from iOS to iOS, please let me know your experiences!

But woohoo! I got my game back!

It's nice to hear a happy outcome re TS Support.

I resisted using a Facebook for years, but finally gave in just for the game backup and transfer abilities.

Especially if you want to move or connect a game on devices with different operating systems, there aren't many other options (or maybe any other option for most games).

There is also the big side benefit to adding FB friends to our games.
    Last edited by Mayfield; 06-18-2020 at 04:55 PM.