Thread: Very confused

Very confused

I have been trying for over an hour online to find out the answer to these questions:

1. When is the best time to opt out of regatta? (not for me)

2. If someone turns off their racing status for interseasonal regatta does the status turn back on before regatta?

3. When exactly do we get matched with teams the same size as ours? (For questions 1 & 2)

Thank you for your help. (I can be very internet challenged at times. )

1) You can opt-out anytime you want however, the "opt-in" / "opt-out" selection only takes effect on Tuesday (Android / iOS / Kindle / MAC) when the race starts. Actually the cut off is "1 hour before the race starts, 8AM UTC on Tuesdays". If you opt-out in the middle of a race it will *not* affect the current race but it will take effect for the next race. So, the "best time" is whenever you realize you cannot participate in the upcoming race.

2) Interseasonal week is *different* than regular regattas. The "opt-in" / "opt-out" status is *ignored*, everybody is listed as racing and can take tasks or not during interseasonal. There is no competition / race and it is supposed to be a more relaxing week of doing tasks and earning some rewards. Whatever was the setting of "opt-in" / "opt-out" was before the Interseasonal week remains in effect for the following Seasonal Regatta. Unless, of course, if you change it manually. Nothing happens "automatically".

3) That's a good question. Some folks believe you are matched when someone on your team takes ("Starts") the first task for the week. Others believe that it happens at the "Race Start Time" (i.e., 8AM UTC on Tuesdays). The only thing for certain is that the "size" of your competition group is based on the number of people listed as "Racing" at 7AM UTC on Tuesdays, that is, 1 hour before the official start time.

Hope this helps....

Thank you cdosr for the reply. In regards to your answer for question 3...

I live in the U.S. in the central time zone. For me right now it is 1:14 p.m. My phone (android) is what I play on and it says 13H 45M til regatta starts.

Do I go forward in my own time zone for the beginning of the regatta or what?

Ok, I'm on the East Coast of the US, 1 hour ahead of you.

Starting time for the regatta is 4AM EDT for me, 3AM CDT for you. Starting time is based in the UK time zone but without doing Daylight Saving Time, so 8AM UTC (Sometimes called Zulu Time (Military) or GMT (everywhere but England where GMT means something else) is 9AM BST (British Summer Time).

So, 3AM for you is 13:43 from now. In fact, 4AM for me is 13:43 for me too. So, for everyone the race starts in 13:43, a world wide starting time.

Ok...I found a time zone/time calculator and found the answer to my question from your answer to the same.

When I see the time remaining on my phone I go forward that amount of time and I get 3 a.m. as a starting time for regatta. Based on what you said the matching could be at 7 a.m. UTC (which is 2 a.m. here) so I will need to be on the game to restrict people that haven't been racing by about 1:55 a.m. my time so that we are not matched with more racers than we have actually racing.)

Thank you.

I just wasn't sure if the time remaining on my phone was right. I would hate to join the race an hour too late to restrict racers to find out that I needed to do it an hour earlier, then be matched wrong.

Okay, you have to restrict somebody at least an hour before the race starts to make sure they can't race, but at what point can you start restricting players to make sure they can't play in the next race?

I assume it has to be after one race ends and before the next one starts?

Doug
    Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by douglasnorth View Post
    Okay, you have to restrict somebody at least an hour before the race starts to make sure they can't race, but at what point can you start restricting players to make sure they can't play in the next race?

I assume it has to be after one race ends and before the next one starts?

Doug
    Windows 10
    Yes, it has to be between the end of one regatta and 1 hour before the beginning of the next. Essentially a 23 hour window. If you restrict too early you end up impacting the race their currently in, too late and they're still including in the upcoming race.

Now one aspect of "restricting" is that they player's "participate in seasonal regatta" setting is changed and they must manually change the setting themselves to get back in (must sit out at least one seasonal regatta). So if the person is marked as racing but is not doing anything in the current regatta, restricting them earlier doesn't affect the current race, they are helping the team anyway.
    Last edited by cdosr; 06-02-2020 at 02:07 AM.