Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Township Forum closing down

I’ve seen the Township wiki you link to and it just doesn’t “flow” for me, personally. I’m a forum fan. I have moved to the other side but I think I’ve only posted once or twice... tried to figure out how to attach a photo but couldn’t master it (or is that this forum?! I know for sure I’ve tried here but couldn’t get it to work...) so just relegated myself to posting words, not pics. 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by gggillis View Post

Attachment 56355
    This kind of WABAC machine?
    As Improbable as is seems, Yes! Was just what I was thinking of when I saw the discussion on Wayback I wonder if that's where they got the name from.

Johnalex Zarco
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle.One View Post
    I’ve seen the Township wiki you link to and it just doesn’t “flow” for me, personally. I’m a forum fan. I have moved to the other side but I think I’ve only posted once or twice... tried to figure out how to attach a photo but couldn’t master it (or is that this forum?! I know for sure I’ve tried here but couldn’t get it to work...) so just relegated myself to posting words, not pics.
    On the unofficial forum? If you need any help, feel free to send me a pm via this link.
    I figured out how to attach images just yesterday and am still learning a lot of new things on there. I have to say, the new forum is so much more user-friendly once you figure out what you're doing lol.

Apologies if this has been mentioned already (currently harvesting corn like a lunatic, so no time to read the whole thread), but back when IMDB closed their forum, some enterprising sole moved a large proportion of posts to moviechat. Don't know how it was done and whether they obtained permission to do it, but I expect it was rather laborious!

Johnalex Zarco
    Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    [...]
    I also think it is only a matter of (a bit more) time, until this forum will vanish. After all, Playrix has to pay sthg to vBulletin for it, and why should they...
    [..]
    Likely true...which could be another reason (in addition to what Mayfield mentioned earlier about stifling mindful discussion) why they are closing the forums down.

Johnalex Zarco
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiosnic View Post
    Apologies if this has been mentioned already (currently harvesting corn like a lunatic, so no time to read the whole thread), but back when IMDB closed their forum, some enterprising sole moved a large proportion of posts to moviechat. Don't know how it was done and whether they obtained permission to do it, but I expect it was rather laborious!
    I didn't even know IMDB had a forum, and I haven't even heard of Moviechat. Must've had a lot of time, as I don't know of any software that can do that (though I am sure on exists, one always exists in the modern era)

I’ve seen the Township wiki you link to and it just doesn’t “flow” for me, personally. I’m a forum fan.
    I agree, the Wiki is more for information about the game. Their forum mainly consists of questions, too I just meant to clarify re. the remark "if there is one".

I have moved to the other side but I think I’ve only posted once or twice... tried to figure out how to attach a photo but couldn’t master it (or is that this forum?! I know for sure I’ve tried here but couldn’t get it to work...) so just relegated myself to posting words, not pics. ���� ��
    We will have time to talk this over, over there
    Here, in this forum, is already a thread explaining how to add a screenshot, and you would be the first not to manage it.
    Or just ask in the other place - tell your OS (pls!), so someone with the same can answer.
    ETA: just saw Johnalex' post - I don't think a PM is necessary; just post your question, when it is not already described there.

Also important: most often, screenshots are simply too big in size for what is allowed in fora.
    Before trying to upload in a forum, search online for a free tool to "compress png" (or jpeg) or "shrink pdf" (one can switch there then) - it's quite easy then.
    YOU with all your thoughtful attentiveness won't tell me you plan to stop learning sthg new?

========

LOL, Gary, which question do you answer there with that cute little machine??
    Last edited by _DD_; 06-23-2020 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post
    As Improbable as is seems, Yes! Was just what I was thinking of when I saw the discussion on Wayback I wonder if that's where they got the name from.

Wikipedia sees them as different:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WABAC_machine

(I still have no idea. We probably didn't have that film or series or whatever)

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    Wikipedia sees them as different:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WABAC_machine

(I still have no idea. We probably didn't have that film or series or whatever)
    Later in the article it does say the modern web site was named for the device
    In popular culture
    The Wayback Machine of the Internet Archive was named after the WABAC.[18][19]
    Also, Rocky & Bullwinkle was (and still is) a popular cartoon show. For a cartoon it's humor was a bit above the average child but grown ups got it. It was full of bad puns and made fun of a lot of pop culture at the time. I have the full set on DVD (of course I do)

Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post
    Later in the article it does say the modern web site was named for the device ...
    ah I didn't read that far then (too much English ); I meant the preliminary sentence with link to the other article.
    LOL at your "of course" (yes!) and thanks for the explanation!