Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 139

Thread: Township Forum closing down

  1. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,094
    I do have a FB account but their FB page is just a random pile of useless chaos. It is pretty obvious most posters have never read what anyone else said, they just post.

    The structure of Facebook is totally unsuited for organizing information in a topical way and especially for saving information you might want to refer to again. It's just people talking about themselves or complaining about this or that. There is little or no actual discussion. It's a bit like what we would see here if they eliminated the subforums, threads and topics, and just showed all the posts in one long list in the order they posted.

    I think, frankly, elimination of game forums is done expressly to suppress coherent thinking and organized discussion (and sometimes criticism) by burying it in the chaos.

    All they really want is a place to make announcements.
    Last edited by Mayfield; 05-27-2020 at 01:18 PM.

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayfield View Post
    .....I think, frankly, elimination of game forums is done expressly to suppress coherent thinking and organized discussion (and sometimes criticism) by burying it in the chaos.

    All they really want is a place to make announcements.
    I think there is truth in what you say Mayfield

    They have said they are working to organise the FB group, but I have no idea of the abilities to do so on the FB platform. Plus with such a huge amount of members it will be a big task for them. Still I hope it becomes a place for people who want to, to enjoy the new community there

    For those of you who haven't already, read Anna's thread linked below for links to the FB Township Family Group etc:

    'Forum Change News'
    Last edited by Downton; 05-28-2020 at 09:06 PM.

  3. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,181
    They say a lot of things but over the years we have learnt what they say and what they do are very different.
    How they are going to put things in order on FB without changing the way FB is set up..I would love to see.
    The groups are the best they will get, in that members can reply to a post. But that’s it.
    FB isn’t and has never been an orderly place to be.
    It will be very interesting to see how they achieve what they say they will do.

  4. #84
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayfield View Post
    I do have a FB account but their FB page is just a random pile of useless chaos. It is pretty obvious most posters have never read what anyone else said, they just post.

    The structure of Facebook is totally unsuited for organizing information in a topical way and especially for saving information you might want to refer to again. It's just people talking about themselves or complaining about this or that. There is little or no actual discussion. It's a bit like what we would see here if they eliminated the subforums, threads and topics, and just showed all the posts in one long list in the order they posted.

    I think, frankly, elimination of game forums is done expressly to suppress coherent thinking and organized discussion (and sometimes criticism) by burying it in the chaos.

    All they really want is a place to make announcements.
    Your choice of word “chaos” for describing what a “pile of” Facebook is, is generous. I was thinking more along the lines of a “pile of s—-.” 😁

    Your overall assessment is laser accurate on FB in general, well-written, and you’re absolutely correct in the reason you give re. motives companies have for disengaging from traditional forums. As I said somewhere earlier, forums are not in the best financial interests for games; they try to play to impatience and emotion by triggering impulse buys while forums focus on strategy to maximize game opportunities without outlaying much, of any, cash. Downplaying coherent thinking and criticism as you put it is so right on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Downton View Post
    I think there is truth in what you say Mayfield

    They have said they are working to organise the FB group, but I have no idea of the abilities to do so on the FB platform. Plus with such a huge amount of members it will be a big task for them. Still I hope it becomes a place for people who want to, to enjoy the new community there

    For those of you who haven't already, read Anna's thread linked below for links to the FB Township Family Group etc:

    'Forum Change News'
    I am one who doesn’t think mass FB pages like the one Township has, or any other game or company or cause, has, is anything close to a “community.” Communities are where people gather and engage and stay. They work for the betterment of said place/community and have basic rules of decorum, along with other things like “rights” we won’t get into here. FB mass pages don’t “work” with any of these words: gather, engage, stay, work toward betterment, rules of decorum, “rights.”

    What is FB to me? If I called it a “pile of s***” above, then it makes FB nothing more than a fancy “s*** show.” 🙃

    This of course does not apply to smaller groups, which DO fit with the above mentioned words that describe communities... Corporate pages for the plebs? For the masses? The commoners? No.

  5. #85
    Johnalex Zarco
    Guest

    Forum Closure

    Hi.
    I am posting this here because there is no where else I can post this and get a proper answer from the Township admins that I know of right now. I tried to message Ms. Petrova with my question but that apparently doesn't work (probably for good reason).
    Once the Township forums are closed, does this mean any groups using the forum server will be closed as well? There are many forum members who aren't on Facebook or are planning to cease use of Facebook in the near or distant future and aren't sure about the new unofficial forum (like myself).
    However, the current forum server allows us to create groups and I was wondering if the closure of the Township forum will effect these?
    Thank-you for taking the time to answer my question.

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnalex Zarco View Post
    Hi.
    I am posting this here because there is no where else I can post this and get a proper answer from the Township admins that I know of right now. I tried to message Ms. Petrova with my question but that apparently doesn't work (probably for good reason).
    Once the Township forums are closed, does this mean any groups using the forum server will be closed as well? There are many forum members who aren't on Facebook or are planning to cease use of Facebook in the near or distant future and aren't sure about the new unofficial forum (like myself).
    However, the current forum server allows us to create groups and I was wondering if the closure of the Township forum will effect these?
    Thank-you for taking the time to answer my question.
    Hi,

    Not an admin, but i can answer your question. Yes, the groups will be read-only, as the rest of the forum. They won't be removed, but members won't be able to post new messages/posts, just read the existing ones.
    IMPORTANT: As a Township, Gardenscapes and Homescapes moderator, I only have power to maintain the forums.
    Township Support | Gardenscapes Support | Homescapes Support
    FORUM RULES

  7. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,181
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnalex Zarco View Post
    Hi.
    I am posting this here because there is no where else I can post this and get a proper answer from the Township admins that I know of right now. I tried to message Ms. Petrova with my question but that apparently doesn't work (probably for good reason).
    Once the Township forums are closed, does this mean any groups using the forum server will be closed as well? There are many forum members who aren't on Facebook or are planning to cease use of Facebook in the near or distant future and aren't sure about the new unofficial forum (like myself).
    However, the current forum server allows us to create groups and I was wondering if the closure of the Township forum will effect these?
    Thank-you for taking the time to answer my question.
    You have nothing to lose by joining the unofficial forum. At least try it out.
    If you find you don’t like it you can always leave, but I would at least try it and see.

  8. #88
    Gold Member Rocky_Ruud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Spijkenisse, The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,675
    The same counts for the FB group Township family

  9. #89
    Johnalex Zarco
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
    Hi,

    Not an admin, but i can answer your question. Yes, the groups will be read-only, as the rest of the forum. They won't be removed, but members won't be able to post new messages/posts, just read the existing ones.
    This is depressing news. Thank-you for answering though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddz View Post
    You have nothing to lose by joining the unofficial forum. At least try it out.
    If you find you don’t like it you can always leave, but I would at least try it and see.
    I will try it, just weary of it's design.

    Quote Originally Posted by gggillis View Post
    I agree with Cuddz you can give the unofficial forum a try and if you don't like it just unjoin(? is that a word?)
    here's a link https://township.forumotion.com/
    Thank-you for the link.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Ruud View Post
    The same counts for the FB group Township family
    I am in that group and it is absolutely a terrible idea. While good, there is a lot of chaos as Mayfield pointed out above. I only use the groups for posting, and usually relied on the forums and Township's FB page to get info on updates and such. Unfortunately, Facebook has become nothing but politics and that gets tiring quite easily.

  10. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,181
    There are now 100 themes to choose from 8n the unofficial forum,
    So you can design it as you wish

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •