Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Township Forum closing down

Quote Originally Posted by Míc Miller View Post
    While you were doing that I was coding animated computer graphics (MIDAS) on an IBM 360 System with Hollerith cards and a 10" Tektronic 4010. (It was such a cute little green screen.)
    Textronix 4010!!! I remember those. Back at the University of Pittsburgh (late 60's) I modified a CalComp plotter package to put out code for the 4010 instead. Then added "zoom" and other features using the two thumbnail wheels.

The Crystallography Department used it for Electron Bond diagrams. They used to take hours on the CalComp, seconds on the Textronicx, saved paper too.

System/360 was the 2nd sysstem I learned, cut my Hollerith teeth on an old 7090

Oh boy ! Hollerith cards LOL You bring memory of learning Fortran in early 70s while studying math at University. My first contact with computers. Was dreaming of a personal machine at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post
    Textronix 4010!!! I remember those. Back at the University of Pittsburgh (late 60's) I modified a CalComp plotter package to put out code for the 4010 instead. Then added "zoom" and other features using the two thumbnail wheels.

The Crystallography Department used it for Electron Bond diagrams. They used to take hours on the CalComp, seconds on the Textronicx, saved paper too.

System/360 was the 2nd sysstem I learned, cut my Hollerith teeth on an old 7090
    You just returned the favor of a flashback, Charlie. My first interactive CADD position introduced me to the tortuous wet ink pen plotter and how Murphy's Law made a pen run out of ink near the end of a final floor plan plot on Mylar. That thing was evil! Fortunately I had a dual Tektronic 4014 workstation I learned to ride and love like it was Trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Míc Miller View Post
    You just returned the favor of a flashback, Charlie. My first interactive CADD position introduced me to the tortuous wet ink pen plotter and how Murphy's Law made a pen run out of ink near the end of a final floor plan plot on Mylar. That thing was evil! Fortunately I had a dual Tektronic 4014 workstation I learned to ride and love like it was Trigger.
    Without all the gory details (unless you want them), our CalComp was an off-line unit where we "spooled up" several jobs onto a MagTape for processing. There was a log so the operator knew how to label each plot for their eventual owner.

The application had a way to enter "comments" into the log that the operator would get. The most common comment was "Please Fill Ink Cartridge Before Starting My Plot"

Quote Originally Posted by Graylady View Post
    Oh boy ! Hollerith cards LOL You bring memory of learning Fortran in early 70s while studying math at University. My first contact with computers. Was dreaming of a personal machine at the time.
    My wife studied in the Math Department, FORTRAN was her language too, great for statistics and other nerdy math problems. After all, it's name means "FORmula TRANslator", has math written all over it

I was in the Computer Science Department, we went straight to Assembly / Machine Language. FORTRAN was an afterthought, just the last 2 weeks of the semester and never made it on the Final

Quote Originally Posted by Graylady View Post
    Was dreaming of a personal machine at the time.
    Same here. Oh how I lit up after 30 minutes on the Mac.

I just joined. Like many I'm sure, I'm somewhat elderly, compromised by health conditions, and trying to stay out of the way. I've played, but not so intently, so many games. I just dedicated myself to this game, just to keep myself occupied - and well, it's just another sad piece of news which seems to be a daily occurrence. I'll check out the other forum. I have been enjoying the game so much, just to occupy my thoughts and time. I live up in the mountains, with no visitors - so, well... as they say - this sucks. Township was/is a unique game, to me anyway. I've enjoyed it, and will continue. Thanks for your original efforts, sorry you can not continue them.

I'm Sad and Shocked! I Will Be A New Forum Follower. I Thank Everyone For AllThe Info,Help & Laughs!!!

I dislike it when companies only have facebook as a communication page. But it is a new trend apperently for companies to do this. Still wonder why since facebook is a mess and having a forum online doesn't cost a lot of money Then again since they themself don't show here it is less usefull since a lot of the time it is just use the ingame ticket system since we can't do anything here.

I also agree with the others comments about FB. I don’t have an account for the same reasons and have always felt that it was unfair that I was not able to have the same chance to participate in activities for special prizes. I was still learning how to post on here but have learned much just from reading what other people posted. So thank you all for your help. Due to my recent illnesses this game has helped keep my mind occupied. I wish you all well. JJ’s Township.