Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 139

Thread: Township Forum closing down

  1. #111
    Gold Member Graylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Quebec, Ca
    Posts
    9,938
    Like Downton said, once the forum is closed, we cannot DO anything beside reading what is there. I too have posts in closed sections. Once the forums is closed, I believe the log-in will stop as it will be useless.

  2. #112
    Johnalex Zarco
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Graylady View Post
    Like Downton said, once the forum is closed, we cannot DO anything beside reading what is there. I too have posts in closed sections. Once the forums is closed, I believe the log-in will stop as it will be useless.
    Hm...possibly. Will have to wait and see. Will likely remove my signature just in case then...
    Last edited by Johnalex Zarco; 06-20-2020 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Deleted Signature from all posts.

  3. #113
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    89
    Something else people may want to consider is removing the town code and/or co-op information.

    Players can not be sure if they will remain in the same co-op, or even opt out altogether of racing at some point, making that information outdated. Also, the town codes used to change periodically, so if this is still the case, keeping that up on the read-only forum would become outdated also. (Does the code still change? I haven’t checked in ages!)

    As has also been mentioned, some or all post information can be deleted. Yes, time consuming, but for some possibly worth it in terms of ensuring text is taken care of according to personal standards/wishes, etc.

    And as Ruud mentioned, absolutely if anyone has a personal email anywhere posted, that should be deleted or changed - and pronto! That information should never have been allowed to be posted in the first place, so please make sure if you are in this category to take action.

    Finally, and this is for people who are savvy with web pages and such, it might be worth it to start (thinking about) gathering certain threads from this forum and working them into “wayback” pages at some point. When the forum is closed, all the massive amounts of really fantastic information will be lost, unless someone can create the wayback pages that will preserve them which can then be posted into the new unauthorized forum. Also worth copying, perhaps, are some of the decor pages with pictures of towns, etc... always nice for inspiration... and specifically the “tips” threads for new players... that sort of thing.

    Players will seek information that can assist them in game-playing until the game no longer exists. Very quickly players will realize how useless Facebook is in terms of finding actual information, and they will look for other online resources. For now, this forum will remain... but depending on timing, the game may run longer than the forum will be read-only, meaning Playrix may delete the forum and still operate the game... or not... and then the wayback pages won’t matter if the game is shut down alongside the forum.

  4. #114
    Johnalex Zarco
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle.One View Post
    Something else people may want to consider is removing the town code and/or co-op information.

    Players can not be sure if they will remain in the same co-op, or even opt out altogether of racing at some point, making that information outdated. Also, the town codes used to change periodically, so if this is still the case, keeping that up on the read-only forum would become outdated also. (Does the code still change? I haven’t checked in ages!)

    As has also been mentioned, some or all post information can be deleted. Yes, time consuming, but for some possibly worth it in terms of ensuring text is taken care of according to personal standards/wishes, etc.

    And as Ruud mentioned, absolutely if anyone has a personal email anywhere posted, that should be deleted or changed - and pronto! That information should never have been allowed to be posted in the first place, so please make sure if you are in this category to take action.

    Finally, and this is for people who are savvy with web pages and such, it might be worth it to start (thinking about) gathering certain threads from this forum and working them into “wayback” pages at some point. When the forum is closed, all the massive amounts of really fantastic information will be lost, unless someone can create the wayback pages that will preserve them which can then be posted into the new unauthorized forum. Also worth copying, perhaps, are some of the decor pages with pictures of towns, etc... always nice for inspiration... and specifically the “tips” threads for new players... that sort of thing.

    Players will seek information that can assist them in game-playing until the game no longer exists. Very quickly players will realize how useless Facebook is in terms of finding actual information, and they will look for other online resources. For now, this forum will remain... but depending on timing, the game may run longer than the forum will be read-only, meaning Playrix may delete the forum and still operate the game... or not... and then the wayback pages won’t matter if the game is shut down alongside the forum.
    A lot of good suggestions here. I would gladly do the "wayback" thing, but I don't have the time to do so (as that would require going through all the forums posts since the forums were created as early as 2013). The Unofficial Forums will be a good resource as time moves forward and such questions get reanswered there.

  5. #115
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,093
    Didn't the announcement say the forum will remain up as read-only? I figured we would still be able to search and read material posted here.

    I am not sure if there are copyright issues involved in harvesting material posted here for use elsewhere by anyone other than the writer or Playrix.
    Last edited by Mayfield; 06-23-2020 at 02:32 AM.

  6. #116
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    89
    Yes, the forum will be read-only until it is taken down, and that will absolutely happen. It’s just a question of when, as I addressed in my post. Either the information here will be available to view for some time while the game continues to plug along, and then at some point it is shut down with content all removed like it never existed, which would make the wayback pages nice to have, or... the forum is taken offline and shut down when they decide to literally take the game offline as well, in which case the pages wouldn’t matter. It’s a timing issue, due to the fact that the forum will be read-only for the time being.

    Concerning copyright, post authors give up probable ownership to the forum platform, possibly, not Playrix. Playrix does not own the forum site, they merely rent the space. If authors don’t wish for their information to be used, as has been indicated, post text can be deleted while it is still an option.

    Wayback archives millions of web pages for various reasons that run the gamut from serious as in preserving history, news articles at various points of copy editing, preserving articles and photos, etc. before they are scrubbed, all the way down to silly and rather unimportant reasons like this forum’s, for example. A major shortcoming of the Internet is how it can quickly be manipulated by removing and/or altering information, so having a way to preserve information is very important for civilization as a whole as everything is distributed online, and if millions of pages and such can be altered and literally removed from existence, it makes it very difficult to have any sort of history that can be trusted. Diving deep here but anyway...

    If you think of it as archiving it is a different way of looking at moving these pages. A game of semantics, yes, of course. But everything is a game. Best to call it like it is and make it work for you so you can come out the winner, in this case the winners being players of this game who might want to access good information from the “old forum” if the read-only option is taken away before the game itself goes dark. Nothing more, nothing less. Further, the unofficial forum has “harvested,” as you put it, screenshots of FB conversations and the copyright issue has not come up. Taking pages from here to there is the same concept.

    A game forum I was on before took wayback pages from a couple of company games that had their forums literally taken offline (no read-only grace period) and moved them to their respective alternate unofficial forums.

  7. #117
    Gold Member _DD_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    8,978
    Mentioning the source of any copied page is a common way of avoiding copyright violations and might help here, too.
    (yes, with exceptions, but still, a good first step)

    I also think it is only a matter of (a bit more) time, until this forum will vanish. After all, Playrix has to pay sthg to vBulletin for it, and why should they...


    Hadn't heard of Wayback before; and reading up a bit on it, it is a fascinating undertaking. Thanks, Eagle.One
    I doubt anyone will have the time for it; it's as with Wikipedia, or the Wikis, it seems to me - it needs LOTS of time. And probably a bit of knowledge about the handling as well
    Last edited by _DD_; 06-23-2020 at 11:49 AM.

  8. #118
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    89
    👍 You’re welcome, DD!

    I, too, think converting a few threads over would take a lot of time. With the game I saw it happen with before, the game also had been around for about six years, and some of the “kingpin” forumers of that forum moved some informational and fun threads over, kinda like for a posterity thing (the fun or comical ones.) Some of the threads transferred were quite large. It was neat to see them moved, and it was all documented because Wayback always notates the source and date (one reason why it is so important.)

    Wiki would probably fill in the gap, if there is one, in case the official forum goes dark before the game does, so that would still be a decent source for just straight game data, but not for gleaning really good tips and strategies.

    I’d venture a guess as to why Wayback isn’t more known: it’s not something the global/tech/media/political/internet power brokers like. It captures in time many things those in power positions might like to erase/tweak to omit/change details at some juncture to suit various other powerful parties. It checks the manipulation and erasure of history. And as such, if more people knew about it and created pages themselves, it might become more of a threat. So, for these power brokers, it’s best to make sure it’s kept out of the spotlight as much as possible.

    (“The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history.” — George Orwell)

    Anyway, I threw it out merely as a possible suggestion in case anyone might be interested... with the forum still being read-only for some time, I suppose people could screenshot various things they wanted to save. I wasn’t inferring it’s necessary, or even desired.

    For me, I think I’m going to go back through the design section and screenshot some neat town photos just to have. Even for when the game is gone. I’ve seen so many beautiful little corners of so many towns, having these little treasures that show the generally wonderful and fanciful decor alongside the fantastic imagination of players... well, it will bring back nice memories of the game.

    🙂
    Last edited by Eagle.One; 06-23-2020 at 03:04 PM.

  9. #119
    Gold Member _DD_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    8,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle.One View Post
    ...Wiki would probably fill in the gap, if there is one, in case the official forum goes dark before the game does, so that would still be a decent source for just straight game data, but not for gleaning really good tips and strategies.
    Yes, there is (at least) one, here. Not noticed yet?
    It also has a lot of questions and (sometimes) answers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle.One View Post
    I’d venture a guess as to why Wayback isn’t more known: it’s not something the global/tech/media/political/internet power brokers like. ...
    That is a very daring theory... I admit I'm not keen on anything that sounds like a conspiracy (theory), even less "in these times", and esp. world wide and of groups that do NOT work together, but don't understand enough of their mechanisms here to follow anyway.


    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle.One View Post
    Anyway, I threw it out merely as a possible suggestion in case anyone might be interested... with the forum still being read-only for some time, I suppose people could screenshot various things they wanted to save. I wasn’t inferring it’s necessary, or even desired.
    I think that was clear from your posts Just a very nice hint about possibilities.

    and I hope you found your way to the other side (the Unofficial TS forum, as mentioned here), maybe to share your screenshots there or view those of others

  10. #120

    Wabac-Cartoon.jpg
    This kind of WABAC machine?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •