Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Lock regatta task reservations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    5

    Lock regatta task reservations

    Hi! So this has been an issue in our coop for a while, with people getting very frustrated.
    We would love it if, when you make a reservation for a task in the regatta, that task is locked for the duration of the reservation (12h) so no one else can swoop in and steal it. Because a lot of people in the coop don't speak english, we cant ask them not to steal the task away, and a lot of people who have their stuff prepared waste their resources when a reserved task gets stolen, and they cant get many tokens to buy the rewards in the yacht club with. So I think it would be great to have something in place to prevent this.
    If locking the task may not be what you guys want, maybe you can send a notification to the person who reserved a task you want to take on and then that person can choose to give you permission to take it or not. Though that may be more complicated.
    At the moment I just don't see the point of reserving a task if you can't lock it and others can just steal it anyway.
    I hope you guys see where we are coming from and put an end to the frustrations in our coop!

  2. #2
    https://translate.google.com/
    We use this quite a bit. Copy it into a message and send to the group, that way it does not get lost in chat. If you have multiple languages other than English you will either have to wait for the cool down to send another or have someone else in the coop send it
    Last edited by gggillis; 03-28-2020 at 07:54 PM.

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    5
    Problem is we don't know what language they speak. We'd feel bad kicking people out just for that, since most of the time they are helpful in other ways.
    I dont know, i just thought it's valid to actually have a purpose for reservations.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,093
    I'd boot them anyway. They can't plead ignorance or misunderstanding. When a player starts to take a task reserved by someone else, we see a pop up warning us that the task was reserved by someone else, in whatever language our own game uses. To take the task anyway suggests they are selfish and just don't care they are screwing that player over. In the end, that me first attitude is not good to have in any coop.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayfield View Post
    I'd boot them anyway. They can't plead ignorance or misunderstanding. When a player starts to take a task reserved by someone else, we see a pop up warning us that the task was reserved by someone else, in whatever language our own game uses. To take the task anyway suggests they are selfish and just don't care they are screwing that player over. In the end, that me first attitude is not good to have in any coop.
    I don't know about anyone else's game, but mine only offers me a choice of 15 languages. According to most websites I've looked at there are around 7000 different languages in the world. Obviously some are quite rare, but at least two of the top 10 most spoken (ie Hindi and Bengali) aren't offered (in my game). So it seems pretty obvious that some people are forced to play using a language that they may not speak fluently. If a co-op has a rule of fluent English (or Russian, or French, or whatever), then those are the rules they've chosen. But it would be sad if all co-ops thought like that wouldn't it?

  6. #6
    Light of the World~Emily
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JJay View Post
    I don't know about anyone else's game, but mine only offers me a choice of 15 languages. According to most websites I've looked at there are around 7000 different languages in the world. Obviously some are quite rare, but at least two of the top 10 most spoken (ie Hindi and Bengali) aren't offered (in my game). So it seems pretty obvious that some people are forced to play using a language that they may not speak fluently. If a co-op has a rule of fluent English (or Russian, or French, or whatever), then those are the rules they've chosen. But it would be sad if all co-ops thought like that wouldn't it?
    As Gary (gggillis) said earlier, we have a co-op that spans many different time zones and languages. Everyone speaks English to one extent or another, but I do habitually translate my responses to our Brazilian member to Portuguese because she likes that I take the time to do that. But I do really wonder: do these people really not know any English? And if they are really staring at complete gobbledygook on their screen, then are they not interested in using Google translate (or some comparable program) to find out what everyone is talking about? I don't mean to sound snobbish, but if I were in a co-op and someone joined who didn't speak the language and tromped all over everybody's toes because they din't understand the co-op rules...I'd be upset. It's not a matter of being accepting, etc. It explicitly states in the co-op description the preferred language. If you don't speak that language or make an effort to understand that language, it's probably not the co-op for you.
    Another thing: I know Saradise said in her original post that she hates to kick these people because they help out a lot. But I think you also need to consider the co-op members who have been frustrated by having their tasks stolen. Helpful players are great to have, but if the rest of your co-op gets fed up and leaves...that would be just as heartbreaking as kicking the helpers.
    Oh, and have you tried restricting them from the regatta? That might be a happy compromise.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradise View Post
    Hi! So this has been an issue in our coop for a while, with people getting very frustrated.
    We would love it if, when you make a reservation for a task in the regatta, that task is locked for the duration of the reservation (12h) so no one else can swoop in and steal it. Because a lot of people in the coop don't speak english, we cant ask them not to steal the task away, and a lot of people who have their stuff prepared waste their resources when a reserved task gets stolen, and they cant get many tokens to buy the rewards in the yacht club with. So I think it would be great to have something in place to prevent this.
    If locking the task may not be what you guys want, maybe you can send a notification to the person who reserved a task you want to take on and then that person can choose to give you permission to take it or not. Though that may be more complicated.
    At the moment I just don't see the point of reserving a task if you can't lock it and others can just steal it anyway.
    I hope you guys see where we are coming from and put an end to the frustrations in our coop!
    Something I suggested a while ago was to have levels for "taking a reservation" to mimic the "who can reserve" settings.

    Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post
    There is already a set of controls on the lowest rank that may do reservations (Co-Leader, Elder, Member, Nobody). The last setting, Nobody, effectively turns off reservations for the co-op.

    What is needed is a similar set for who can take a reserved task with the same levels including "Nobody". If you allow someone to take a reservation, as some teams do, you can use these setting to enforce a "no taking without explicit permission" policy by changing the status of the offending player.

    Also a "reservation timer" setting, 12 hours is ridiculously long time to tie up the task board so allowing some control on the timeout has been requested for a long time.

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post
    Something I suggested a while ago was to have levels for "taking a reservation" to mimic the "who can reserve" settings.
    Hey thanks for your answer! So I read it a couple times and don't really understand. So you're saying if you demote someone to nobody, they can't steal reservations? Or they can't make reservations? Sorry I'm a bit lost :s

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradise View Post
    Hey thanks for your answer! So I read it a couple times and don't really understand. So you're saying if you demote someone to nobody, they can't steal reservations? Or they can't make reservations? Sorry I'm a bit lost :s
    Sorry I wasn't that clear. In your co-op settings you can select who can make a reservation

    20200328_174419.jpg

    Selecting "Nobody" effectively prohibits reservations but that's not what you want. Assume that you have a similar set of controls for who can "take" (i.e., "steal") a reservation, which is what I was suggesting. As the leader, you could set it to "Nobody" and that would effectively "lock" reservations to the person who reserved it.

    With another set of controls you could set both to "Elder" allowing Reservations to be "taken" by permission if both parties agree. If you have someone who "misbehaves" and "steals" other's reservations you could demote them to "Member" which would not allow them to take reservations anymore. In other words, with two sets of controls, one for "make a reservation" and one for "take a reservation"a leader could set up a number of combinations to set the rules for their co-op.

    As, as you surmise, there is no status of "Nobody", that was purely to match what the current setting for "who can make a reservation".

  10. #10
    In the end, that me first attitude is not good to have in any coop.
    Agreed.

    Back to language thing. I would see if anything is said in chat and screen cap then translate it. Google Translate offers a detect language feature. There is also a Google Translate app that you can just hold up to the computer screen and it will do it for you.
    Plus sometimes you can tell by a name. Or by the time they are active.

    Our co-op spans about 7-8 hours, possibly more, in time. Hungary, Ireland, Brazil, East Coast and Central US and Western Canada, Oh and I forgot Australia now. So we play on different days sometimes.

    I'd make guesses as to language and start sending messages. Or if it is intolerable bring out the ban hammer or give them a boot to the head..
    https://youtu.be/vFldBVWFgWo

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •