Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's not fair and I think it's really mean 🎶

Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    (Are peeves expensive/difficult to care for. Do they need frequent visits to the vets? )
    No but they occasionally need to be aired out

Quote Originally Posted by Blytonrocks View Post
    You may have a point but I thought when you were waiting for building supplies, you had to sell unwanted items to set the algorithm to get the items you did want?!
    That's what I'm saying (re: cb supplies; I also mentioned expansion supplies as that's the one I most often have trouble with). I didn't know early on that keeping all cb supplies might cause a dramatic imbalance and cause the game to send me more of what I don't want. Whereas, the expansion supplies seem to behave differently, so selling those was causing me problems until I discovered that I would get my missing tools if I kept the many extra shovels (it might be relative to where you are in game however, as I have not unlocked my fourth island so it may factor in to what I'm getting)

p.s. I have never had a dramatic imbalance on barn upgrade supplies. For me they have always come in equal amounts.
    Last edited by Zealous; 03-25-2020 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post
    Well, I think we're close enough now for you to call me Charlie

Personally I think it's the belief in an "algorithm" that is the cause of the frustrations. People thinking there's some magic incantation or ritual to perform to get the game to give you the last Glass Panel. I see it expressed on this forum and on various FB game related groups. Each person passing on the "word", that they've somehow "messed up the algorithm" (i.e., angered the Playrix dungeon masters).

Look, selling the excess of building materials, barn expansion materials, land expansion tools, is good barn space management, having 24 extra bricks is just taking up space so it is sound advice to sell the excess. But it's not like dancing around a campfire in order to hasten the arrival of good weather.

I spent over 2 years obsessively recording every one of my barn expansions (46 of them), steadfastly refusing to sell any Red Paint, Nails, or Hammers, watching for imbalance in the distribution of these items. Yes there was an ebb and flow, sometimes I'd have 50 extra hammers, sometimes I'd need hammers, but after obtaining 11,400+ barn expansion tools the actual distribution was:

Hammers 32.9%
    Nails 33.4%
    Red Paint 33.7%

Nearly perfect 1/3 uniform distribution. That's one fine algorithm.

My point is that some of the information being spread around is just folklore, stories conjured from anecdotal evidence. Are they harmful, probably not. What I do find disturbing is that they become a reason to be angry at the game / game developers as "evil manipulators" (throw in the occasional "greedy").

Sorry, it's just one of my pet peeves. As I get older I find I have a lot of them these days.
    Thank you so much for this Charlie! Or in other words... swoon Mr Darcy 🤣

I understand that things even out and end up balanced. That does not mean that the 'algorithm' isn't fixed in a way to trip players up. Most players don't have room to hold excesses until they even out. This means they sell that excess as they can't save them for future use. Therefore an even balance eventually being handed out to the player won't work out. It can't they have sold them. Therefore in reality those players are left waiting and struggling to get the right numbers for each CB and barn upgrade etc. So yes we can't argue about the eventual building amounts, but what use is that to a player stuck in a perpetual cycle of collecting loads of tools etc that they don't have the storage to hold until they do need them?

The way these building materials arrive is in my opinion set up to cause a percentage of players to buy the odd item to finish a project. I'm not saying that is a horrendously bad thing for Playrix to do, I am just saying just because things end up being even, doesn't mean there isn't a method in place to yes frustrate players.

Light of the World~Emily
    I think I said this in my House of (Bad) Luck post, and it has kind of been said here too...humans tend to see patterns where there really are none. I've had trains come in with nothing but glass and slabs when I really needed paint. Then again, I've had trains come in with loads of paint when I needed paint. As cdosr (or Charlie) pointed out, it evens out over time. And true, maybe we don't all have the barn space to sit around until that happens. I know. I have two towns: on my level 75 town, I can afford to sit around and wait for that extra nail to come in amongst all the saws and bricks. I have the wiggle room. But in my level 30 PC town, it is very frustrating to see that imbalance. I don't have any room to wiggle, there. But I've often found that if I don't hover anxiously over my trains, it doesn't seem as long of a wait until that supply comes in.
    And hey, don't squawk about how unfair it is for Playrix to (possibly) cause these imbalances just to make us all buy t-cash. If you're patient, the supplies come. And this game is so AMAZING anyways that I honestly am flabbergasted that they even put all that quality in a free game.
    As a disclaimer, until the most recent Professor Verne's Experiments, I have not spent a cent of real money on this game. I will admit that once or twice I have bought an extra hammer or something, but only with the t-cash I earned in-game. It is doable!

Quote Originally Posted by Blytonrocks View Post
    Thank you so much for this Charlie! Or in other words... swoon Mr Darcy
    I prefer Colonel Darcy in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, skilled in Ninja Martial Arts

Quote Originally Posted by Downton View Post
    I understand that things even out and end up balanced. That does not mean that the 'algorithm' isn't fixed in a way to trip players up. Most players don't have room to hold excesses until they even out. This means they sell that excess as they can't save them for future use. Therefore an even balance eventually being handed out to the player won't work out. It can't they have sold them. Therefore in reality those players are left waiting and struggling to get the right numbers for each CB and barn upgrade etc. So yes we can't argue about the eventual building amounts, but what use is that to a player stuck in a perpetual cycle of collecting loads of tools etc that they don't have the storage to hold until they do need them?

The way these building materials arrive is in my opinion set up to cause a percentage of players to buy the odd item to finish a project. I'm not saying that is a horrendously bad thing for Playrix to do, I am just saying just because things end up being even, doesn't mean there isn't a method in place to yes frustrate players.
    Hm, this is interesting. I wonder if it matters whether or not the building is on the ground already. With building supplies, I have found that when I build the building after I have all of the other 2 items I will get the 3rd missing items within the next couple trains. But I check the wiki and only hold the supplies for the building I'm saving to build, so I definitely sell off extras regularly.

I haven't had the instance of building a cb and then just continuing to get the items I don't need for several trains. And I don't always build when I only have 2 of the 3 supply items. Sometimes I don't have enough coins so I have to save up, and often by the time I do I have all supplies.

As I've progressed in this game, I've noticed that the game, sort of, tries to lead you in a particular development direction (expand or build a cb) and the supplies on the trains seem to reflect that. During times when I didn't have the spaces open to build a particular cb I waited to build. And I would keep getting supplies I didn't want and I'd have to sell off. Right now I have all the spaces open for all the cbs near my level, and right now I seem to be getting a reasonable balance of building and expansion materials. So it seems like, in those times when I wanted to wait to build until I had the expansions I wanted, the game was trying to make me build by withholding expansion supplies and bombarding me with cb supplies.

Our coop has found selling one or two of the item that’s needed, ie paint, will cause that item to come in more readily. So the more you sell the other items that are plentiful, the more they will arrive.

Would it be appropriate or even fair to “convict” Playrix of “encouraging” you to spend Tcash to get a needed expansion item via purposely withholding that item by taking a preponderance of the evidence approach. This approach was used to successfully to convict a celebrity in a court of law not that long ago.

How many of you have had to wait for days for a hammer? How many “me toos” would do the job. I know right now I have been stuck on 3 hammers and 2 nails for a barn expansion for 5 days. This is with the materials being in balance of course.

And……… is it voodoo or is it possible it could be computer science making you wait? Can such programming exist?

I play this other game involving trains. It is the same one Graylady installed and subsequently uninstalled because they make the game too **** hard. But in this game, you can buy a train box for real money that will give you either gray, blue, purple, or gold trains. And they tell you the probabilities up front. E.G. A blue train box gives you 5% chance of getting the gold train, the purple box 10%. The purple box costs more.

Can the probabilities be changed on the fly. Yes, they can. If-then statements can be used to reset a probability variable. So, one could see if a player needed say, only one of this expansion item, and then change the probability of you getting it.

That was the “Could they” question. Would they? None of us can say. Should they? It’s their game, they can do whatever they want. Personally, I like them to make money; it’s a nice game. Where else are you going to get a Raging Sea Ride? But if you get stuck on an expansion item, just be patient ok?

Kind Regards,
    Cobalt
    Town - DALISCAPE
    Coop - seul en mer(#SEU82G)
    Be kind.

I like that we can currently request tools in our co-op 1x daily and that a member can use 1tcash to send a tool, which is much less than it costs to purchase ourselves. I also like the helping hand, where we can help a friend for 1 tcash. I budget about $12 per month (600 to 700 tcash). I gladly spent the $5 for better prizes in the professor's experiments, as this is my hobby and $17 this month will no break me.

I do not mind spending when it is my choice, but I agree I get impatient with expansions and resent when I feel "forced" to spend.