Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It's not fair and I think it's really mean 🎶

Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post
    I prefer Colonel Darcy in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, skilled in Ninja Martial Arts
    Charlie, after reading this thread, I think I'm in love with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgoetzinger99 View Post
    Charlie, after reading this thread, I think I'm in love with you!
    At the risk of sounding like Mrs Bennett, there's a queue

You'll hear apologists throw around terms like confirmation bias whenever anyone brings up problems like this in mobile games these days. Any game like this is designed to create a shortfall of items. In the long run, the percentages may even out but the streaks that occur are extremely improbable assuming an even drop probability. It's all designed to drive spending.

You'll see some form of this in just about any mobile game these days. Gaming in general has taken such a turn for the worse. The mobile arena is particularly bad. The tactics are predatory.., preying on those prone to addiction. At some point governments need to finally step in and put an end to what's going on. There is nothing stopping companies from playing with drop rates as they choose or to code in such a way as to create streaks to drive spending. Players should be aware of drop rates and corresponding mechanisms if they are putting money into a game like this. It's gambling otherwise... without even knowing the odds you are up against.

I will say this game is no where near how unethical a lot of the other mobile gaming companies are. The one place I have seen shadiness is in the barn upgrade drops though.

They are really good about allowing players to play for free with ad views for T-cash. Speaking of that though, my ads aren't showing up often anymore so my days of playing this game are likely coming to an end. I just reached level 68. I used to get 4 ad views every hour or two. They aren't showing up hardly at all throughout the day now.
    Last edited by HokieFiend; 04-01-2020 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    At the risk of sounding like Mrs Bennett, there's a queue
    I'll wait my turn...6 feet from the one in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post

Yes there was an ebb and flow, sometimes I'd have 50 extra hammers, sometimes I'd need hammers, but after obtaining 11,400+ barn expansion tools the actual distribution was:

Hammers 32.9%
    Nails 33.4%
    Red Paint 33.7%

Nearly perfect 1/3 uniform distribution. That's one fine algorithm.

My point is that some of the information being spread around is just folklore, stories conjured from anecdotal evidence.
    I don't think I have ever spent much time on a game forum where players weren't looking for patterns, trying to figure out how the software works, trying to find ways to work the system to get more of whatever. I doubt many of them have any validity. But the algorithm business came to us from either a TS employee or mod. Iirc, the mystery algorithm was described in the context of slabs, glass, and bricks, though, not to barn expansion parts.

Personally, I have only used tcash to buy a missing part maybe twice, a single piece each time, when I was at very low levels. Since then, I just wait it out and, of course, it will eventually show up. I have had to wait as much as three days though between the next last unit and the last one needed.

One of the really useful benefits of buying the gold pass in the lab event is the ability to request paint, bricks, axes, etc in coop chat, especially useful combined with the ability for others to fill it with 1 tcash if we don't have a surplus to share.
    Last edited by Mayfield; 04-02-2020 at 08:43 PM.
    Played on and off since October 2017
    Play on iOS iPad

Quote Originally Posted by Mayfield View Post
    I don't think I have ever spent much time on a game forum where players weren't looking for patterns, trying to figure out how the software works, trying to find ways to work the system to get more of whatever. I doubt many of them have any validity. But the algorithm business came to us from either a TS employee or mod. Iirc, the mystery algorithm was described in the context of slabs, glass, and bricks, though, not to barn expansion parts.
    Couple of things. I'm a retired software engineer, 45 years of writing code for pay for a major computer manufacturer. A lot of my interest is from the point of view of "how would I approach that problem". Software Engineering is a very collaborative profession and asking each other for ideas and / or design help happens all the time. Frankly it's the fun part. Also, resolving problems, in other words, "finding bugs" can be an exercise in reverse engineering the symptoms to isolate the area (i.e., the algorithm) where the bug is most likely to occur and then creating experiments and observations that would help find the actual causes. This is puzzle solving at its best and is also the fun part.

This game is intriguing in many ways. Understanding how things are implemented is something I'm willing to spend some of my leisure hours on. Given the lack of information from the game developers themselves, all that's left is "Black Box Analysis", deducing the workings from how the game responds to certain inputs. Keeping track of Hammers, Nails, and Red Paint is one analysis that can reveal inner workings.

As to Building Materials, Slabs, Bricks, and Glass. I'm willing to accept that the train deliveries are weighted towards those things you need the most of, that is, it may be tilted to bringing Building Materials at a higher frequency than Land Expansion and Barn Expansion tools. After all, you really do need more of them both in the number of CBs and Zoo Enclosures and the quantity of the tools needed. Having a higher percentage of those delivered by train kind of makes sense to me.

I don't have any hard evidence for that, only observing that the recent train deliveries are mostly Building Materials. I've been noticing because with the "double capacity rail cars" I was hoping to get a lot of tools to expand the barn again. So I've been noticing a lack of any of the other 6 tools not just "hammers". Unfortunately my analysis that worked so well for barn tools cannot be applied to building materials, at least not for me. I have everything built so I have no way of ever getting rid of any except by selling. Right now I have over 2,000 Building Materials (thanks to the over exuberant trains). I delete chunks of them periodically and they are what I'll sell when the expanded barn goes away at the end of the experiments. I'd be interested in the delivery distributions *without* selling but it is impossible to retain everything at this time. Maybe I'll revisit that when my barn reaches 10,000.
    Last edited by cdosr; 04-02-2020 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgoetzinger99 View Post
    I'll wait my turn...6 feet from the one in front of me.

You are so amazing to have made a record for two years! You really love this game! So do I! I was wondering about tool distribution if it was like the products from the islands. At the moment, I am barely getting any red paint. I watch the trains come into the station only to see no red paint in the cargo holds. I had a hunch that eventually it will self-correct. I'm glad to know you proved it. There does seem to be an imbalance. I end up having to wait for one of the tools to complete a building or expansion. I'll have twice as many hammers, the right number of nails, and maybe a quarter of the red paint, but I see that as part of the fun of the game. The anticipation of getting that last item to make the expansion or finish the building. It is so funny to watch the construction workers sitting on the edge of the building just hanging out. Art imitates life, right?.
    Mimi
    Township: Beauregard Meadows