Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Light of the World~Emily

How do you Lay Out your Town?

I enjoy visiting fellow townshippers’ towns and seeing how they decided to arrange their towns. There seem to be two classes: those who just slap down their factories and community buildings wherever they fit, and those who are very strategic in how they lay out their town.
    It is (mostly) to my fellow strategians that I speak.
    How do you find is most efficient of a way to set up your town? Personally, I have an area of my town for fields, an area for animals, and an area for factories. (The screenshots below are from my PC town which is at a lower level, the set-up is the same but expanded for my lvl 74 mobile town.) But I have seen some towns that put a number of fields next to each factory and grow there the products that factory needs, for example, they put a few fields next to their bakery and grow wheat there. There may be other methods, too.
    I’d like to see answers that both tell me what they decided to do and why. I’m really interested in the why. Also, what do you all do with your community buildings and houses? Mine are packed in the back of my town.
    Can't wait to hear your ideas.
    EDIT : Can't seem to get the screenshots to upload. You can visit me at the towns in my signature...
    Last edited by Light of the World~Emily; 03-22-2020 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Forgot screenshots!!!

I tried to put the buildings I actually use most on the side of town near the railroad tracks, shoving most housing and community buildings to top or to the right. Those aren't actively used for snything, so they may as well be in the more inconvenient locations.

I found it especially helped to have the helicopters and airport in view next to the track. I found I work the copters now a lot more than when they were out of sight nearer the middle of town. I know some people feel it's better to have them nearer housing where the round trip the copter takes may be shorter, but I'm not convinced it makes much difference. Much of the time the copter is delivering a factory or the museum or someplace other than housing anyway.
    Played on and off since October 2017
    Play on iOS iPad

I like organization and neatness (only a mild case of OCD lol) so I grouped all of my Township pieces by what passes in my mind as themed areas. Each area is grouped together with the same type of flooring. This helps make it easy for me to find the buildings I use and makes my town look pretty(at least in my opinion, would love to hear other's thoughts!) I have my farmland area with fields, barn and animals, my mining area, my shopping center with all the stores and restaurants, my factory sector with all of them spaced evenly so I can see what is on my shelves without overlapping, my airport area which also includes the racetracks because they are noisy, my recreation/relaxation/camping area, my theme park/art pavillion (still a work in progress) my downtown business district, my schools and emergency buildings area-located near the center of town so they can easily be accessed and allow fast responses to emergencies (I have Waaaay over thought this lol) my cute little beach house community, my beach vacation area with exclusive 5 star hotel and private luxury beach accommodations, my boardwalk aquarium/waterpark area, my sports area, my fisherman's wharf area, and my giant-houses-I-don't-really know-what-to-do-with-so-I-shoved-them-in-the-top-right-corner-and-tried-to-make-them-look-nice area. Eventually I will have a space port area, and then my town will be complete! =D
    Town name: Gatorville
    Co-op: Ktown Griff
    Having fun building my town and zoo,
    Please come see them! :-)

I had described the re-design of my town here. Have added a few more decos since then, or exchanged them in the designated areas, but mostly/mainly the same.

Also, the thread "How to post a screenshot" is a sticky in this subforum. You could look whether you find help there.
    I personally prefer working on the PC (Windows) with pics, and I also have the files minimized in size before uploading them here (search for resize pics gratis/free online, or the like).

Mine is very much the same as mselikeshockey, my areas are all themed an set out the same.
    I also have a space area and a mystery/jungle area along with an ancient area and an Egypt area.
    At the front behind my airport and trains I have what I call my display area. Here I display any themes that are regatta or event related that are not already in my town. So this area changes often.

So I know there are other threads on this. And I know I've posted in at least one of them. But anyway. Just did a total redo of my town.

Here's a cap of my Townhall area and you can see some of my Christmas area also.

Darkwood Townhall.jpg
    Thank you, Gary
    Windows 10 PC : Darkwood (Gary) , Silver Lake (Alana) Co-op : Stronger Together

Quote Originally Posted by gggillis View Post
    ...Here's a cap of my Townhall area and you can see some of my Christmas area also.
    ooh that's pretty! I like the areas arrangement. and so much water... looks spacious
    and aww, the flags... those were the times...

Light of the World~Emily
    Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    ooh that's pretty! I like the areas arrangement. and so much water... looks spacious
    *sniff* and for us PCers, the no-flag update is approaching... *bawls into handkerchief*
    I've roamed all over your town, Gary, and you and Alana are doing amazing! You should post your factory area...

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    I've added Italy's Flag and I think once I get the ingots I may add a Spanish Flag also.

And I shall pass the compliment on to my wife since that was all her doing
    Thank you, Gary
    Windows 10 PC : Darkwood (Gary) , Silver Lake (Alana) Co-op : Stronger Together

That is beautifully done Gary, your wife has a good eye for design.
    Wish we still had the flags, I miss them.