Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Task reservation by leaders.

Task reservation by leaders.

I keep seeing mentions of co-op leaders reserving (& cancelling reserved) tasks for people. For example:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandyrn View Post
    I am the leader of the co op The A Team. We dump lower than 125. But encourage all to do 130 or higher. Then on the last day, anything goes. We have had some issues recently of too much getting dumped, so am addressing that. Also, we don’t allow anyone to reserve except for the leaders. We will reserve for a player when requested, for a half hour. Then if not picked up by that player, the reserve is cancelled. That keeps the board open for everyone else. It works well!
    I am the leader of my co-op and while I know about setting the limits of who can reserve tasks (member vs. elder vs. leaders), I have not been able to figure out how to actually put a reservation on a task for other people. The above quote is just one of many posts where I see reference to this happening. Most of these posts do not seem to be talking about simply stating in chat the desire to reserve something, because generally that is also mentioned in the thread as a way of managing reservations. We already do that. But unfortunately there are still those who upon finishing a task, go to the regatta area and quickly start another, forgetting to make a stop in chat to see if anyone called dibs. Or, sometimes leaders or elders accidentally dump tasks when we are trying to refresh a seemingly stale board— even if we check chat, we sometimes still have an oops. Obviously, if it were really “reserved”, it would help decrease the accidents. It won’t eliminate them, we know, but it would help somewhat. I already had to switch to elders & above making reservations because of too many players not following our reserve rules.

So, if there is something I’m missing, I’d like to learn. I recall in the first co-op I was in, I had a message come to my inbox that the leader of that co-op had cancelled a reservation I had made. Ironically, it seemed to be one of her last actions in the co-op, because shortly afterward she went MIA, and stopped playing. After a couple months, most of us decided to create our own group so we would have a leader & coleaders who were actually around to run things. So, I know that at least it used to be possible for a leader to cancel ressies.

I hope someone can help me figure out how to (#1) make reservations for other people &/or (#2) cancel reservations that have been made.

Thanks.
    Duranie

Light of the World~Emily
    What they mean (at least re reserving tasks for others) is reserving the task themselves, and giving (via chat) permission for a specific member to take the reserved task.
    I'm not 100% sure on canceling reservations. Never seen a need to do that, so I never have.

The flaw with that approach is that one leader can only have one reserve at a time.

It seems simpler to just make a clear set of rules about what tasks can and can't be reserved, how long the player has before a reserve must be taken, then let people reserve their own tasks.

And yes, having a reserve tag on a task will greatly reduce the chance of it being accidentally dumped.
    Played on and off since October 2017
    Play on iOS iPad

Quote Originally Posted by Duranie View Post
    .. ..

I hope someone can help me figure out how to (#1) make reservations for other people &/or (#2) cancel reservations that have been made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Light of the World~Emily View Post
    What they mean (at least re reserving tasks for others) is reserving the task themselves, and giving (via chat) permission for a specific member to take the reserved task.
    I'm not 100% sure on canceling reservations. Never seen a need to do that, so I never have.
    Yes what the posts left out is what Emily said: The other player reserved it themselves. The "for someone else" is done in Chat, not by a game mechanism. Not only leaders can do it.

Cancelling such a reservation has two ways: If I reserved it myself for someone else, I simply give it back / undo the reservation, so it is "free" for being taken.
    Or, if I want to stop someone else's reservation: I take the task (say yes in the confirmation window) and THEN give it back to the board.

This kind of co-working is great, but also needs communication in chat, of course, and above all, ppl being attentive towards reservations. Clear rules about reservations, esp. how long, are indeed also a must.
    Last edited by _DD_; 03-21-2020 at 10:07 AM.

Light of the World~Emily
    Thanks for finishing the thought, _DD_. I remembered the other half at about 3 am!
    I said leaders because sometimes only the leaders can reserve in a co-op. In my mobile co-op, I usually leave the reserving to elders and higher, but the PC co-op I'm a member of allows members to reserve, which is nice.
    And yes, chat communication is key! If co-op members don't read chat, then this method won't work.

Thanks for finishing the thought, _DD_. I remembered the other half at about 3 am!
    LOL, instead of sleeping, you mean? now, that I call commitment to the game!

And yes, chat communication is key! If co-op members don't read chat, then this method won't work.
    ...then the whole Coop won't work. An absolute No-No in my book.

Light of the World~Emily
    Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    LOL, instead of sleeping, you mean? now, that I call commitment to the game!
    Heheh, no when I woke up in the middle of the night and was thinking about it. Not that insane!

Heheh, no when I woke up in the middle of the night and was thinking about it. Not that insane!
    yeah, I see, thinking about that when you wake up in the middle of the night is so much more normal!

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    yeah, I see, thinking about that when you wake up in the middle of the night is so much more normal!
    (Slightly off original topic.
    Last week I dreamt we'd finished second in regatta. Woke up, was about to congratulate teammates when realised was still only half-way through fourth task. Spent the next few hours disappointed. )

Once spent a week with my reserve being used by four people (not yet promoted newbies). Hell on wheels for everyone. Not helped by a higher level player taking the easy tasks that the newbies could do and refusing to read chat because too cluttered up by plz&ty's. Caused no end of stress.

Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    (Slightly off original topic.
    Last week I dreamt we'd finished second in regatta. Woke up, was about to congratulate teammates when realised was still only half-way through fourth task. Spent the next few hours disappointed. )
    Lol Jays that's hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Once spent a week with my reserve being used by four people (not yet promoted newbies). Hell on wheels for everyone. Not helped by a higher level player taking the easy tasks that the newbies could do and refusing to read chat because too cluttered up by plz&ty's. Caused no end of stress.
    It's been a long time since I was in a bigger co-op but I can still remember the problems caused when reserves were first introduced. Reading your post strangely brings the memory vividly back. Boy it must have been stressful!