Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Helping Other Players and the Players THEY Help

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle.One View Post
    I’m a bit disappointed that the tone of this thread is, essentially, one of prejudging and - frankly - discrimination. We have the entire world buckling at this moment to an invisible threat, and there are FIVE pages here of people complaining about the intricacies of asking for, and providing, help in a game. A game. Think about that on whatever level you individually wish to, if at all. Very concerning knowing that, in sifting quickly through pages 2-5 of this thread, with this level of criticism and judgement, well... it is easy to see why the world is where we are in terms of “getting along.” (shrugs)
    Although I have the same opinion as you regarding helping in the game, I don't share your assessment above. I wouldn't go so far as to say there is discrimination. Also I most certainly wouldn't compare the current behaviour displayed by some in the real world to the opinions some players have towards what they see as fair with give and take regarding help requests in our towns. I have already said I don't agree anyone can say players who ask but don't give are wrong. We play our game as we see fit and find suitable friends.

I feel bringing up the current crisis the world is suffering in response to this thread is a way of trying to shame members who have expressed their opinions. I find it unnecessary. Just the same way I think anyone trying to shame players who help and don't give is unnecessary.

Personally, I am grateful for every help request that comes my way. I help because I enjoy helping. There are no preconditions for me to assist another player. Period. The products in our barn are not treasures, after all, they all have a purpose to be used. If I am able to genuinely help someone fill a complicated crate because they are a lower level and can’t help as frequently, great. If I am able to help knowing some might be just lazy and wiped out after a hard day at work or whatever, great. I. Don’t. Care.

Helping is a major part of obtaining things to help our games progress. All of our games. Not just askers. Not just helpers. All. Of. Us. Together. The more people ask me for help, the better. Likewise, without people asking, there would be no helps. It goes both ways.

I want to encourage players to keep asking for help. Regardless of your circumstances. Don’t get down on your game or your game playing schedule/frequency/devotion, etc. There are thousands of players out there who will give you what you need, without judging, without requiring an interview.

We are only as strong as our weakest link. Why not try to build everyone up to make the game better for everyone?

✌️
    I am of the same frame of mind, couldn't agree more

I’m a bit disappointed that the tone of this thread is, essentially, one of prejudging and - frankly - discrimination. We have the entire world buckling at this moment to an invisible threat, and there are FIVE pages here of people complaining about the intricacies of asking for, and providing, help in a game. A game. Think about that on whatever level you individually wish to, if at all. Very concerning knowing that, in sifting quickly through pages 2-5 of this thread, with this level of criticism and judgement, well... it is easy to see why the world is where we are in terms of “getting along.” (shrugs)

Personally, I am grateful for every help request that comes my way. I help because I enjoy helping. There are no preconditions for me to assist another player. Period. The products in our barn are not treasures, after all, they all have a purpose to be used. If I am able to genuinely help someone fill a complicated crate because they are a lower level and can’t help as frequently, great. If I am able to help knowing some might be just lazy and wiped out after a hard day at work or whatever, great. I. Don’t. Care.

Helping is a major part of obtaining things to help our games progress. All of our games. Not just askers. Not just helpers. All. Of. Us. Together. The more people ask me for help, the better. Likewise, without people asking, there would be no helps. It goes both ways.

I want to encourage players to keep asking for help. Regardless of your circumstances. Don’t get down on your game or your game playing schedule/frequency/devotion, etc. There are thousands of players out there who will give you what you need, without judging, without requiring an interview.

We are only as strong as our weakest link. Why not try to build everyone up to make the game better for everyone?

✌️
    Sorry you're 'disappointed ', Eagle One...But your comments and observations really only serve to underscore the points I made in my original post. My point was that ALL OF US SHOULD HELP ONE ANOTHER RATHER THAN BE SELFISH TAKERS OR BE INDIFFERENT TO THE NEEDS OF OTHER PLAYERS. We basically said exactly the same thing, you and I. I just didn't take it so far as to add all the current crises of our real world in with my thoughts on the selfishness and subsequently rude indifference of some players. This isn't finger-pointing or judgment. It's a call to get everyone on board with the art of sharing and camaraderie. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on all points.

But yes, for me, as an individual, coming across a player who continually takes from other players but who also steadfastly refuses to step up and help anyone else... I DO sometimes blow past them, take my hard-earned goods and help another player who actually 'gets it'.

How else do we get them to come to the realization that their behavior is both inconsiderate and one-sided? Right...not my job. Maybe, maybe not. But as I said before, people will only treat you the way you teach and permit them to. I opt for a little free guidance in the form of exclusion once in a while. I happen to think that's fair. If you don't, your opinion also has its merits.

May your friends, family and loved ones all come through these globally tragic times unaffected, healthy and fine.

Thank you, Downton... I agree with many of your thoughts on the recent posts.

Thanks to you both for your responses. Points taken. My post was not to shame, per se... it was to draw attention to the, well, triviality, of these sorts of things when placed against what is happening in our world. If it does make some people feel bad for doing that, well... that’s not my issue. It just doesn’t make sense in general to be so picky about digital goods we don’t even “own” to the point that we pick and choose who gets a peanut sauce based on numbers we cannot fully understand. Using the “crops not being planted” justification, for example, can’t always be trusted as the system often is behind in displaying towns versus what the “real-time” town is up to.

It’s not like there isn’t a good ROI from helping. It’s a win-win every time and the helping system/house of luck is one of the most generous setups I have ever seen in a game where players can earn valuable items to not only progress their games, but they can earn premium currency, and a good amount of it, just from helping. The premium currency amounts that are offered alone testify to the importance Playrix has put into this feature.

So, when looking at what I can potentially earn for giving away the last of my syrups, or a handful of lobster bisques, or even a peanut sauce... it’s always worth it, every single time. Win-win. To me, anyway... and like someone posted a few pages back in this thread, they “couldn’t be bothered to check the stats.” I agree, because I see no merit in deciding worth, or commitment, or devotion, or whatever, based on them. It’s just a game. In the time it takes to find the town hall, open up the stats and then mentally doing the equations weighing the value of a player’s request against their statistics and my barn, multiple players could have been helped, and I could have moved right along. Which is what I do.

I always will see the silver lining in helping those who choose not to help back for whatever reason: they are helping me by helping them. In essence, they are helping to ensure that the system works. So, I play within that construct.

Anyway... peace, health and safety to all.

hm...this is a game. So then, people come here (to the forum) to talk about strategy, fair play (to a degree) to discuss the latest decorations...every single thing we do in this forum is pretty much centered around focusing on something trivial, that being this game. It matters not a lick in rl.

But I do think other players benefit from these dialogs as they help each of us understand things, like why we may or may not be getting help when we need it, or why some towns have so many more decorations than others and where they're getting them, or whatever. It helps the players learn more about the game and connect.

It's helpful for me to learn what types of players are playing so I can adjust my game as I feel appropriate, so as to complete my goals. I appreciate cyphers comments, whether I do or do not agree with them. Same with downton, mayfield, etc. And if someone wants to come here and talk about how annoying they find something, I appreciate that too. I really like this game and I like talking about it with others who also like it.

I do not, however, come here to talk about things happening in rl. I come here to take a break from that.

Why would you assume someone is deliberately ‘not helping ‘? If I help someone but never see them help me back I’m more likely to assume 1. they’re not playing when I am, 2. they don’t have what I need 3. someone else helped me before they could (some people are incredibly fast in the help game). I never think “they never help me so I won’t help them”.

Eta: if I get a friend request I will check stats. Not much point friending someone at level 80 who’s never helped anyone
    Last edited by Catsalive; 03-26-2020 at 07:10 AM.

Is this by chance Torrild??

.......Anyway... peace, health and safety to all.
    Same to you too Eagle.One

Quote Originally Posted by Catsalive View Post
    Why would you assume someone is deliberately ‘not helping ‘? If I help someone but never see them help me back I’m more likely to assume 1. they’re not playing when I am, 2. they don’t have what I need 3. someone else helped me before they could (some people are incredibly fast in the help game). I never think “they never help me so I won’t help them”.

Eta: if I get a friend request I will check stats. Not much point friending someone at level 80 who’s never helped anyone
    I agree there is all to often a hasty assumption another player is choosing not to help. I have a high level player who never helps (starting to sound like a broken record ). They have been on my friends list for two years. I have no issue with this as the arrangement works for both parties. I get regular clovers and they get regular help.

I actually think they are genuinely busy in their RL and don't have a lot of time to spend on the game. So they log in, flag what they need help with and log back out. I know they appreciate my help as they have stayed on my friends list so long and send me a balloon often.

I have encountered very selfish players in co-ops before, so they definitely exist, but I would like to think most just don't help for the reasons you have stated
    Last edited by Downton; 04-23-2020 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealous View Post
    hm...this is a game. So then, people come here (to the forum) to talk about strategy, fair play (to a degree) to discuss the latest decorations...every single thing we do in this forum is pretty much centered around focusing on something trivial, that being this game. It matters not a lick in rl.

But I do think other players benefit from these dialogs as they help each of us understand things, like why we may or may not be getting help when we need it, or why some towns have so many more decorations than others and where they're getting them, or whatever. It helps the players learn more about the game and connect.

It's helpful for me to learn what types of players are playing so I can adjust my game as I feel appropriate, so as to complete my goals. I appreciate cyphers comments, whether I do or do not agree with them. Same with downton, mayfield, etc. And if someone wants to come here and talk about how annoying they find something, I appreciate that too. I really like this game and I like talking about it with others who also like it.

I do not, however, come here to talk about things happening in rl. I come here to take a break from that.
    Lol, exactly we are on the forum to talk about Township

ETA I agree with everything you have said. Very well put
    Last edited by Downton; 04-23-2020 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyphre View Post
    Thank you, Downton... I agree with many of your thoughts on the recent posts.
    You're welcome Cyphre. As Zealous has already mentioned your opinions on this subject are really useful to other players too. Hopefully us sharing our views will help many of the players who visit and read this forum
    Last edited by Downton; 04-23-2020 at 02:50 PM.