Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Helping Other Players and the Players THEY Help

Quote Originally Posted by Cyphre View Post
    ........Personally though, I still think it's wrong to be continually asking for other people to give you 9 bananas or limes and your ships are just sitting empty at the docks, or asking for large amounts of ANY goods that require a lot of time to acquire while your factories are never running. And I'm not going to pretend that I have never helped them, because I definitely have. I'm just very discerning with regard to that.
    People can ask for what they want and players can choose whether to help or not. I don't see anything wrong with players asking for help with whatever they want. Those who don't agree with it won't be their friends for long and they will find others who appreciate their regular requests for such things.

Whatever their reasons for how they play the game we will not know without speaking to them. There could be various reasons why these players don't work more on their own towns. Heck some of them might just be kids, others may have severely limited time to dedicate to the game. Yes some of them may even just find it easier getting others to fill difficult orders for them. I don't think it matters. Different strokes for different folks

Light of the World~Emily
    I often struggle to find the barn space to store bread, cream, etc., and also to keep it stocked (in my mobile town, mostly). When zoo orders come in with 9 bread, I often flag those crates and let someone who's got the bread to spare fill it. It works for all concerned. I get my bread, they get their clover, and I help them out whenever I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Light of the World~Emily View Post
    -at- Cyphre
    Haha, true, but I still need toilet paper ad vitamin C!
    True friends give and take on the same level as you. They help you out as much as you help them.
    "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up" (Ecclesiastes 4:9-10).
    Someone said it this way: there are three levels of friends. Some you pour into, some you give and take, and some pour into you. It's good to have all three in life, and in Township.
    Agreed, Emily...hope you get your to and Vitamin C...: )

Quote Originally Posted by Downton View Post
    People can ask for what they want and players can choose whether to help or not. I don't see anything wrong with players asking for help with whatever they want. Those who don't agree with it won't be their friends for long and they will find others who appreciate their regular requests for such things.

Whatever their reasons for how they play the game we will not know without speaking to them. There could be various reasons why these players don't work more on their own towns. Heck some of them might just be kids, others may have severely limited time to dedicate to the game. Yes some of them may even just find it easier getting others to fill difficult orders for them. I don't think it matters. Different strokes for different folks
    I've taken the possible variables into consideration, Downton... I still feel the same way. It's a game, not real life. I have helped in real life situations before when it was known in advance that it would a one-way transaction. And I have been on the receiving end of that same kind of interaction. Being that this is a game, I look at it differently.

It benefits both parties to help in the game. We agree there. But seeing the same three or four players hitting everyone up for a set-up every day, day in and day out, it gets old quick.That's my two cents.

I totally get that we all have an opinion on how we like to play the game and would like our friends to play as well Cyphre. My only point really was that I don't think how anyone chooses to play it is wrong. We can all stick with friends who fit our interpretation of how we feel friends should behave.

It's actually useful that we have different wants from our friends and other players. There will be many with the same opinion as you, and from a purely selfish perspective that leaves me even without FB able to keep a regular supply of clovers. I am only in a co-op of two which I am happy with but it means I can't rely on co-op companions to provide me with these opportunities

How about this Cyphre? You friend the people you want to friend and you help them first. if you have any leftover and can't do anything with it, just help those "nasty" takers as well . I kinda gave the wrong impression at the beginning, feel like a hypocrit, because I actually help anyone I can . I do agree with you that it is annoying, but really, a clover is a clover. My priorities are like this : co-op members / close friends > just people on my friendlist > randoms. Also,

I feel like if I fill a lot of "9 of something" requests at the zoo for others, I can ask for them as well without guilt :P. Especially high level players don't have problem filling those a lot of the times, because they might have 20 rubbers. Bread especially I love to see, because it is so quick. I think in real life these people are much more annoying, than in games....

Quote Originally Posted by Downton View Post
    I totally get that we all have an opinion on how we like to play the game and would like our friends to play as well Cyphre. My only point really was that I don't think how anyone chooses to play it is wrong. We can all stick with friends who fit our interpretation of how we feel friends should behave.

It's actually useful that we have different wants from our friends and other players. There will be many with the same opinion as you, and from a purely selfish perspective that leaves me even without FB able to keep a regular supply of clovers. I am only in a co-op of two which I am happy with but it means I can't rely on co-op companions to provide me with these opportunities
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree on a few points here, Downton... I like getting clovers the same as anyone, as I said. But I think selfishness in any form (and I don't pretend to be completely guiltless here) is a very ugly personality trait that is difficult for me to overlook. I have had some fellow co-op members who continually asked for help but would mysteriously disappear seconds later if anyone else asked for help. It was an ongoing issue. And leaders of co-ops don't seem willing to speak up when a member is taking advantage of the kindness of the other players.

It's all a matter of perspective and subjective applications to the situation. I just thought I would get mine on the table for a discussion. For the record, I DO help even those who come across as selfish to me...just not every time...which is why I stated in my original post that I will PROBABLY check the players stats before handing over the goods. That doesn't happen every time.

I have been labeled, correctly for the most part, as a 'soft touch' with regard to real life and human needs. I'm only recently getting a better handle on my 'people -pleasing' ways. Thanks, EVERYONE for all your thoughts, opinions and insight on the subject.

Cyphre ~

No problem Cyphre, I'm happy to agree to disagree

And thank you for sharing your opinions and experiences regarding this subject too.

I do actually agree with you regarding Co-op teammates taking and not giving though. I guess it's been a long time since I was in that situation, but I would certainly expect more from them than friends and randoms.

When you are naturally a people pleaser it isn't easy to change. It's a shame some will always take advantage of anothers caring nature. So I do understand (and maybe even agree a little) your perspective now on selfish behaviour.

It looks like we have ended up agreeing more than it seemed
    Last edited by Downton; 03-23-2020 at 03:31 AM.

I would like to add, you not only get clovers but you can also earn a lot of coins helping others and for this reason I help as much as I can. I personally don‘t really mind if one in my friends list is a great helper or not and apart from this I always ask for help in my trains and planes, they are mostly filled quickly. But as Downton said, there is no right or wrong in playing this game and you are always free to add one to your friends list or remove them. But I must admit, we are a very small coop of three very helpful players (gggillis, your wife is very wise). I can understand, if this doesn‘t work gameplay is not very much fun. Maybe it‘s time to change the coop or to establish your own
    Last edited by Monaco; 03-23-2020 at 06:46 PM.

Light of the World~Emily
    Cyphre:
    1) Thank goodness, I did get my tp and vitamin C! You've got to get to the stores super early now, but I hit the jackpot and will likely make it...
    2) I don't know what your co-op is like, but I know that I have left co-ops because even though some people are super helpful, others just go *poof* at the first sign of my needing help. I typically look for in a co-op (and have found) a decent number of players all with helps over 100. Haha, the co-op I'm in, many of the players have helps over 300, with 9 members. Super helpful and amazing! (Yes, you may be proud of yourselves, gggillis and rocketto!) My advice if you feel there are too many "leeches" in your co-op and you're getting frustrated: Find another co-op. Or if you really like the one you're in, tell the leader your concerns. Maybe they just aren't paying enough attention to catch the leeches, or don't know they're causing a problem.
    Leeches in your friend group can be tolerated as goods dumps and clover mines. But in your co-op, they're a bit much.