Thread: Forum Community tools: Everything you need to know about 'Groups'

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Forum Community tools: Everything you need to know about 'Groups'

In answer to my question of where to go for the continuation of my Sculpture thread in the Lounge our Admin Anna mentioned the possibility of using 'Groups' as an alternative platform to share each others stories.
    You as a community are worth it to investigate this possibility further and hopefully we can create a valuable tool of it to keep in touch as we did in good old Lounge.

The information she send me you can find here.

A new area (at least for me) to explore so my first question to you is:

- Is there anyone of you that has experience with creating / managing Groups?

My first impression is that groups are more or less invisible on this Forum.
    A guideline to the groups would be handy, right?

- You need to be a member of this Forum to log in and only after logging in the Community part is visible for you on the main page of Forum and Township.
    After logging in there are several ways to find groups and new group messages. Simply click on 'new messages' and then on 'Activity stream'. Then you click the button 'new group messages'

Unlike threads the groups do not show the number of views.
    It is therefore difficult to 'read' the popularity of a subject other than by the number of reactions.

To start a group of your own? Click here to get to the group page and click on '+ Create group'.
    You can choose for Public / Moderated / Invite only as group type.
    Any member can join public and moderated groups.
    Users must be approved by a group leader before membership is finalized for moderated groups.
    Invite Only groups require that a group leader invite a user before they can join.

The only category available at the moment is 'Uncategorized'.
    Maybe Admin can add more possibilities like 'My Co-op', 'Hoppers', 'Lounge' and so on to this?

And yes, I started my own little experiment on the sequel of the Sculpture thread.
    Just to learn but hopefully successfully to invite you to join in with your own Story group.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Ruud View Post
    ...And yes, I started my own little experiment on the sequel of the Sculpture thread.
    Just to learn but hopefully successfully to invite you to join in with your own Story group.
    ok, and now that last word threw me - you want us to bring several stories? lol, no way!

but I managed to join - interesting enough, I only see a Join button on the "Uncategorized" page - as I wandered at first directly into the Welcome-Thread, I also thought it was invite-only. But it isn't

And I usually use the "new posts" display, not the Activity Stream, so thanks for the description!

+ to note / as reminder: new group posts are NOT visible via "new posts", but only in the Activity Stream, and - as we had to tell several group starters here before already - that means OTOH, that group posts are NOT private, or group-only, no matter the status of the group.

The Group Tools there are worth a look - I have now subscribed to that thread there, so will see whether I get a notification for posts there, which would make checking there even easier

okies, and now - when do we get new pictures there, in your group, Ruud?

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    ok, and now that last word threw me - you want us to bring several stories? lol, no way!
    Well at least the travel stories of hbv could be shared through a new Story group(or a group linked to 'the Book of Nature'-thread). And I guess there will be more that will.

but I managed to join - interesting enough, I only see a Join button on the "Uncategorized" page - as I wandered at first directly into the Welcome-Thread, I also thought it was invite-only. But it isn't
    And I usually use the "new posts" display, not the Activity Stream, so thanks for the description!
    Yes, everyone who is interested in developing or searching on this (little bit) unknown area on the Forum has to change habits to visit Groups on a more regular basis.

+ to note / as reminder: new group posts are NOT visible via "new posts", but only in the Activity Stream, and - as we had to tell several group starters here before already - that means OTOH, that group posts are NOT private, or group-only, no matter the status of the group.

The Group Tools there are worth a look - I have now subscribed to that thread there, so will see whether I get a notification for posts there, which would make checking there even easier
    Good addition DD, I will take, a look on those Group Tools.

okies, and now - when do we get new pictures there, in your group, Ruud?
    It is time to get to work on that isn't it

Glad to see you found your way to the group section of the forum, and with this info you posted, those interested can find their way to your group as well!
    Good luck with it (and just in case, this is the direct link to it)!
    IMPORTANT: As a Township, Gardenscapes and Homescapes moderator, I only have power to maintain the forums.
    Township Support | Gardenscapes Support | Homescapes Support
    FORUM RULES