Thread: Co-op rules for dumping tasks

Question Co-op rules for dumping tasks

Yesterday, one of our co-op leaders dumped all of our tasks, and only one was left on the board, which was reserved. Because of time constraints (the regatta ending and my having other things to do) I needed to take a task. I think this co-op leader dumps too much. My question is what rules do co-ops have in place for dumping tasks besides dumping lower point ones? Notifying other members? Leaving at least five or six tasks on the board? Limiting the number of tasks dumped? In my case, it would have been better for me to get a lower point task started than nothing at all.

Every co-op will have there own rules or lack of rules regarding dumping of tasks in a regatta. Our co-op requires all tasks be at 135 points. We automatically dump planes. We usually have a conversation in chat about what tasks to leave up and what to dump. I like to leave questionable tasks up for an hour if everyone isn't around to answer if they want the tasks. Perhaps you should ask in chat what your co-ops rules are. if they don't work for you try and find a co-op that suits you better.

Quote Originally Posted by Avonleacc View Post
    Every co-op will have there own rules or lack of rules regarding dumping of tasks in a regatta. Our co-op requires all tasks be at 135 points. We automatically dump planes. We usually have a conversation in chat about what tasks to leave up and what to dump. I like to leave questionable tasks up for an hour if everyone isn't around to answer if they want the tasks. Perhaps you should ask in chat what your co-ops rules are. if they don't work for you try and find a co-op that suits you better.
    We are 135 only also. But we have people that like the airplane tasks. It's generally Islands we will dump.

I was in a co-op on my Kindle where I ran into the O.P's situation. It was an any task co-op. But when I finished my task the board was dumped to nothing but 135's and all were reserved. This was not the first time it happened but it was the straw that broke my back.

I also second Avon's statement.
    Perhaps you should ask in chat what your co-ops rules are. if they don't work for you try and find a co-op that suits you better.

My coop usually races with four, but can vary from 3 to 6. Only one or two of us are on during the day m-f, with others popping in sometimes at lunch or breaks, so most of the board tending has to rely on previous communications (e.g. x has fish/shrimp boats sitting) and general familiarity with what tasks our racers tend to take.

We dump anything that's not 135, long growing crops like silk and rubber trees, plus usually

- Factory tasks requiring 12 or more hours to produce (unless a member expresses interest because there were already a lot made)

- Boats asking for first slot items (unless a member expressed interest because half the boats are already sitting).

- 4 planes (except occasionally a racer will be so disgusted with the 135 tasks we are seeing that she will let us know she'd take 4 planes)

We have one member who often surprises me the stuff he will take, which makes me a pretty timid dumper. I tend to err on the side of maybe xx has some ready or maybe yy will like that one. The problem with that approach is that those tasks take up 135 spots on the board and when the board refreshes we only get maybe one new 135 task which may not even be worth keeping.

Eventually someone else shows up and clears the board and within one or two refreshes we are starting to get better tasks.

So, while I can't usually be a ruthless dumper in practice, I do see why there are many advocates of that approach.

One other point - when we have multiple coop members on line at the same time we always ask before dumping. Our only other rule is that once a racer has his or her 16 th task, that person isn't allowed to make the judgement call dumps, only the automatic ones like less than 135 and rubber trees.
    Last edited by Mayfield; 03-16-2020 at 07:55 PM. Reason: To add coop info per DD suggestion

I feel our co op has found a nice middle ground... Many of us have been racing together for 2 years. We dump anything under 132 points. 2 hour reserve limit to keep the board moving but still have task availability. It's worked well we stay Gold. Sometimes we are 1st.. sometimes we aren't. We have 22 members. Usually 18-19 racing. We dump doubles of long tasks .. i.e. planes n trains.. silk.. rubber.. a few tweaks depending on the seasonal tasks but pretty much the same basic principal. Oh we don't allow reservations on House of luck too..

I am the leader of the co op The A Team. We dump lower than 125. But encourage all to do 130 or higher. Then on the last day, anything goes. We have had some issues recently of too much getting dumped, so am addressing that. Also, we don’t allow anyone to reserve except for the leaders. We will reserve for a player when requested, for a half hour. Then if not picked up by that player, the reserve is cancelled. That keeps the board open for everyone else. It works well!

Good strategy descriptions, but what works - or is necessary (apart from communication) - is also depending on how many members a Coop has (and how many of these are racing). It would help, if y'all added that number to your post