Thread: Task reservations

Task reservations

We’ve had a lot of issues within our co-op with someone continuously taking reserved tasks. We have addressed this in the chat multiple times, but this member does not read the chats. It would be great if they made it so reserved tasks were not possible to pick up by other players until the reservation runs out or the player who made the reservation cancels it. Otherwise, what’s the point in being able to reserve tasks...?

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Carroll View Post
    ...It would be great if they made it so reserved tasks were not possible to pick up by other players until the reservation runs out or the player who made the reservation cancels it. Otherwise, what’s the point in being able to reserve tasks...?
    Sorry, no, it wouldn't be great. The only thing I would wish for is that we can adjust the duration of the reservations.
    If you search the forum with the keywords "reserve" or "reservation", you'll find a lot of threads - often with the same wish as yours, and then usually with the contradiction of Coop members who have found ways to use this feature meaningfully. Most often this is reserving for others OR it means "don't dump" - both of which are agreements in these Coops, and it is of course necessary to talk in Chat about it.

I would have NO patience at all with someone not communicating in my or any other Coop. The less would I be willing to adapt my - our - game play to them. I'd rather suggest to send an ingame mail telling them (everyone) they have to appear in Chat, to get to know the Coop rules - else they can (and will) be restricted or even kicked. Because such behaviour is bad for the other members and thus, for the Coop.

Good luck, in any case

This is a problem that has come up over and over in this forum, so you aren't alone.

Different coops have different rules about reservations. Some use them simply as a way to mark tasks they don't want anyone to dump, others have rules about which kinds of tasks can be reserved or how long they can sit, and others don't want them used at all.

Personally I agree with you that the software ought to provide an in game solution beyond just the warning box that pops up. We have lots of levels to use for coop members and each level grants some additional permissions. It ought to be workable to block those set at the bottom level (Member) from taking a reserved task. That would give leaders a solution for the chronic offender short of changing them to not racing or kicking them out of the coop. For coops who don't want anyone blocked, they can set players to elder or higher. I know there are a few who have posted here with a "reserved doesn't actually mean reserved" rule in their coop, but I seriously doubt they represent more than a tiny proportion of coops. I suspect most coops use reserved with its actual meaning or not at all. Imo the developers should not fail to resolve this chronic problem to accommodate this small but noisy minority who have coopted reserved to mean something entirely different. Maybe they can add a Save symbol for that use.
    Last edited by Mayfield; 01-19-2020 at 04:19 PM.
    Played on and off since October 2017
    Play on iOS iPad

Why should the devs do the work of the leaders.
    The reserve task was meant to help players who had the items ready but were doing another task.
    Coop leaders make the rules they want their members to follow.It is their responsibility to enforce those rules or revoke them.
    If a coop member is constantly and blatantly ignoring the rules they are not a good team member and maybe after a warning should be kicked.
    There is no excuse really as the confirm tab warns you that the task is reserved.

While I agree that the current system is ok and it is the leader's job to set the rules on reservations, that does not mean that there cannot be some improvements. So I'll play Devil's Advocate here.

There is already a set of controls on the lowest rank that may do reservations (Co-Leader, Elder, Member, Nobody). The last setting, Nobody, effectively turns off reservations for the co-op.

What is needed is a similar set for who can take a reserved task with the same levels including "Nobody". If you allow someone to take a reservation, as some teams do, you can use these setting to enforce a "no taking without explicit permission" policy by changing the status of the offending player.

Also a "reservation timer" setting, 12 hours is ridiculously long time to tie up the task board so allowing some control on the timeout has been requested for a long time.

I guess reserved tasks have limeted time to the player who choose it, I remember when some tasks was reserved and time still on for them you see who choose it and you can't get it simply unless there time of reserving finshed.

Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post
    While I agree that the current system is ok and it is the leader's job to set the rules on reservations, that does not mean that there cannot be some improvements. So I'll play Devil's Advocate here.

There is already a set of controls on the lowest rank that may do reservations (Co-Leader, Elder, Member, Nobody). The last setting, Nobody, effectively turns off reservations for the co-op.

What is needed is a similar set for who can take a reserved task with the same levels including "Nobody". If you allow someone to take a reservation, as some teams do, you can use these setting to enforce a "no taking without explicit permission" policy by changing the status of the offending player.

Also a "reservation timer" setting, 12 hours is ridiculously long time to tie up the task board so allowing some control on the timeout has been requested for a long time.
    Good idea, and It wouldn’t take much to introduce it.