Thread: Housing Question

Housing Question

What does Population Cap mean? I'm still kinda confused about that. Also, I've seen advice about only building one Community Building at a time, but what about houses? How many houses should we build at a time?

Thanks.
    Windows : Level 57

Quote Originally Posted by ellieanne81 View Post
    What does Population Cap mean? I'm still kinda confused about that. Also, I've seen advice about only building one Community Building at a time, but what about houses? How many houses should we build at a time?

Thanks.
    I did a little write up on Population Cap Vs. Population in THIS POST

Doing only 1 CB at a time is a good way to manage your barn space, you are not tempted to retain tons of one kind of material for the 2nd or 3rd building. If you are building more than 1 at a time, focus on finishing one of them before accumulating materials for the next one to finish.

Houses,start building as many as you're allowed and can afford, there are no extra material requirements to finish the houses.

Thanks for your reply.

Speaking of barn space, I am really struggling with barn space. Is building more houses going to help free up more barn space? What are some tips for freeing up barn space?

Thanks for your reply.

Speaking of barn space, I am really struggling with barn space. Is building more houses going to help free up more barn space? What are some tips for freeing up barn space?
    First, with this type of game, resource management, particularly barn space, will always be something that requires TLC.

Housing by itself has no impact on the barn at all, housing only costs you Coins. However, as you gain experience levels you can build Community Buildings (CBs) that will require you to save up materials in your barn. To minimize their impact, do not save more than is needed to complete your current target CB. Check the Township Wiki for a heads up on what materials and quantity you will need. Completed CBs will open up some new houses.

Avoid the temptation to load up on items when your barn is small (or when you're trying to save up building materials). A lot of players use the 6 shelves in the factories as a way to store some commonly used goods instead of gathering them into the barn. You can upgrade your factories to add 2 more shelves (to level 11).

There are many posts scattered around the forum, mostly people asking for separate storage for land expansion or building materials. In those threads are some other suggestions since it is unlikely (read: never) that extra storage will be added.

Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post
    First, with this type of game, resource management, particularly barn space, will always be something that requires TLC.

Housing by itself has no impact on the barn at all, housing only costs you Coins. However, as you gain experience levels you can build Community Buildings (CBs) that will require you to save up materials in your barn. To minimize their impact, do not save more than is needed to complete your current target CB. Check the Township Wiki for a heads up on what materials and quantity you will need. Completed CBs will open up some new houses.

Avoid the temptation to load up on items when your barn is small (or when you're trying to save up building materials). A lot of players use the 6 shelves in the factories as a way to store some commonly used goods instead of gathering them into the barn. You can upgrade your factories to add 2 more shelves (to level 11).

There are many posts scattered around the forum, mostly people asking for separate storage for land expansion or building materials. In those threads are some other suggestions since it is unlikely (read: never) that extra storage will be added.
    Ah, okay.

Currently, I am running out of barn space. I am at my wit's end. I am currently building a house to try to get rid of some materials to free up barn space. I won't level up to Level 58 for a while and won't be able to build a new Community Building for a bit.

What should I do?

You can sometimes free up a little barn space buying a land expansion either in town (axes, shovels, saws) or the zoo (two of those three). Also, if you don't have enough to buy the expansion but have way more of one tool than the other two, you can sell off a few of those. Personally, this pains me a bit because the one I get lots of today will likely be the scarce one in a couple months, but sometimes it is necessary.

Go to the Academy of Industry and see if you can use up a few ingots on a building, train, or island upgrade.

If it's just a question of clearing up a few spaces to break the log jam that has play at a standstill, try loading some factories with items that use a lot of ingredients from your barn. Even if you have to collect an item from the factory shelf, you still come out ahead if you consume more than one barn item making something new. As long as there are empty boxes in the queue, we can load the new factory item before collecting an item from the shelf to make room for it.

I find that doing a bunch of helicopter orders always frees up a surprising amount of barn space.

Once you get to Level 60, you can build the Tool Exchange (unless you play on Windows) which helps with space needed for CB building materials, unless you are also trying to build zoo enclosures.
    Last edited by Mayfield; 01-17-2020 at 03:10 PM.
    Played on and off since October 2017
    Play on iOS iPad

I really want to add, before building too much it's a good idea to decide what your goals are in the game. Reasons you should consider this early on include: you can't sell community buildings once they're built. If aesthetic is important to you then you may want to consider whether or not you can tolerate ugly community buildings. also, regarding community buildings, you don't have to build them when they come up. You can build them at any time once they are available to you. And then, with regard to houses, build what you want, but it's wise to consider your space to house ratio. If you build houses as fast as you can, without considering the land you have developed, you can find yourself in a position where you no longer have much space to decorate or do things with, because it's full of houses. Also, many houses will take up an enormous amount of space. Ernies town isn't really an accurate representation of how much space a high population town needs for housing (unless they're packed pretty tight, most towns I've seen with high pop use around 1/3 of the whole map just for housing and roads to go with them, which is quite a bit of space)
    Last edited by Zealous; 01-17-2020 at 03:56 PM.

Ah, okay.

I am currently building a house to try to get rid of some materials to free up barn space.
    As Charlie said above (and at level 58 you may have already noticed) building houses does not require any materials or tools, and does not clear out your barn. CBs and zoo enclosures need building materials. Land expansions need land tools. Barn expansions need barn tools. Factories need no materials or tools.

Sounds like you will need to manage inventory a little better. Are there products or crops you keep too much of? Too many island goods? Hoarding ingots? Check all your tabs and see if you can jettison something you have too many of.
    Playing since 9/19/2016
    Level 102 iOS
    Zoo level = I hate the new zoo
    Co-op A-team (by request) #4YD4J9

Thank you everyone.