Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody knows what is Sipp?

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Bookworm View Post
    Indeed it is! Here is the link that explains the history of Haitian Creole.
    Thanks, Twilight! what an article! and what a language!

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    Thanks, Twilight! what an article! and what a language!
    My pleasure! So many different languages and each with different dialects. Even here in the US we have different dialects. I was originally born and raised in Texas so I had a drawl. Have lost a bit of it, (since I had moved) but was called out on it about 15 years later...Good ear on that individual!

... Even here in the US we have different dialects. ...
    Not so amazing, considering how big the country is, and the different origins of the inhabitants.

I was originally born and raised in Texas so I had a drawl. ...
    I had heard of that, but didn't know there's a word for it! And you probably had to adapt to others around you "being" faster?

People do tend to end up with softer accents when no longer surrounded by others with that accent. It isn't done on purpose, it just happens. I know English people who go home to visit after living in the Us for a while and their relatives comment on how much of their accent they have lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayfield View Post
    People do tend to end up with softer accents when no longer surrounded by others with that accent. It isn't done on purpose, it just happens. ...
    hm, it is probably even logical+just natural, as we learn a language (and accents and dialect) from our surrounding, too. Thx, Mayfield

Not so amazing, considering how big the country is, and the different origins of the inhabitants.

I had heard of that, but didn't know there's a word for it! And you probably had to adapt to others around you "being" faster?
    "Not so amazing" Apologies, I meant no offense...I was just stating the vastness of dialects and where I was living as a general point...not to slight anyone.

lol...yes...I did have to pick up the pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayfield View Post
    People do tend to end up with softer accents when no longer surrounded by others with that accent. It isn't done on purpose, it just happens. I know English people who go home to visit after living in the Us for a while and their relatives comment on how much of their accent they have lost.
    I agree. When your surrounded by it on a daily basis, for an extended period of time, it does tend to rub off on a person.
    Last edited by Twilight Bookworm; 12-03-2019 at 04:29 PM.

"Not so amazing" Apologies, I meant no offense...
    it wasn't one, IMO, nor was my answer - it was just a harmless statement/idea about reasons. The literal translation might have made it sound differently.
    In any case, no apology needed.

My pleasure! So many different languages and each with different dialects. Even here in the US we have different dialects. I was originally born and raised in Texas so I had a drawl. Have lost a bit of it, (since I had moved) but was called out on it about 15 years later...Good ear on that individual!
    I live in British Columbia, on the west coast of Canada, and my grown daughter lives in Ontario, four provinces east. She’s been there for over 12 years but a few days ago, at work, someone asked if she was from BC because of her accent....i didn’t realize we had one lol!

it wasn't one, IMO, nor was my answer - it was just a harmless statement/idea about reasons. The literal translation might have made it sound differently.
    In any case, no apology needed.
    Problem with these translation matrices. Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Magnolia Township View Post
    I live in British Columbia, on the west coast of Canada, and my grown daughter lives in Ontario, four provinces east. She’s been there for over 12 years but a few days ago, at work, someone asked if she was from BC because of her accent....i didn’t realize we had one lol!
    Wow...good ears on them too!

They are probably 6 year olds like 95% of the players on this game are