Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Event, regatta etc start times

Event, regatta etc start times

Please consider starting events, regattas at different times. I am in a time zone where these all start and end at midnight or 1 am with daylight savings. Others in Europe etc. Get to start and finish in the daytime. If you mix up start times it will be much fairer to all.

The start time of the regattas is set for Tuesday, 8am UTC.
    So everyone in the world will see a difference in their start according to time differences.
    It woukd take far too much time and resources to change it fir every country.

I'm curious, are you in Europe, as the time difference shouldn't be that much different to the rest of Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddz View Post
    The start time of the regattas is set for Tuesday, 8am UTC.
    So everyone in the world will see a difference in their start according to time differences.
    It woukd take far too much time and resources to change it fir every country.
    I may be wrong, but I think Ian was probably suggesting that the regatta started at a different time each week, so week 1, 8am UTC, week 2, 2pm UTC, week 3, 8pm UTC etc, rather than at a different time for different countries. That way everyone would get a chance to start playing at a time which suited them, rather than some people always having to start in the middle of the night.

I agree this would be a much fairer way of doing it. Personally I'd prefer to go back to the way it used to appear to be, when the race was timed from the moment a first task was taken, but changing the start times would definitely be another option.

Not sure I'm understanding you JJay, the start times for individual coops to be placed in a group is still started from the moment the first task is taken.
    What I meant is the the Regatta itself is first available at 8am UTC, both these have always been in place.

To have the regatta start at different times each week I don't think woukd be beneficial to anyone. As it stands we know without having to look when it will start. We can then work to that time.

I'm still curious to know where in Europe Ian is to be starting at midnight. Most start at 9 or 10am...and with the biggest time difference it wouldn't stretch to midnight. Just me being nosey ...need to know how that works lol

The regatta starts at 8am UTC on Tuesday. It used to be thought that the team which finished fastest won. Therefore if Team A started (took their first task) at 9am UTC on Tuesday and finished at 11am UTC (total of 2 hours), and Team B took their first task at 9.15am UTC and finished at 11.10am UTC (total of 1 hour 55 minutes), then team B would win because they finished in the shortest amount of time.

It has now been clarified by Playrix (https://forum.playrix.com/showthread...=1#post1259648) this is not the case. The race starts at 8am UTC for everyone, regardless of when they took their first task. So actually in the example above, Team A would win, because they finished earlier, even though it took them longer.

That is why you see posts on here saying that sometimes teams who delay their start are grouped with other teams who have already finished. This seems to happen most (though by no means always) to co-ops who are highly competitive, or high on the global leaderboard.

Which all means that for players based in London the regatta starts at 8am which is not unreasonable, in Paris it's 9am - also not too bad unless you're at work/school, but in New York it would be 3am and for most people that's a bit unfair.

By changing the start time each week it would mean that you only have to get up in the middle of the night once per season instead of every week.

Ps. I'll let Ian answer for him(her)self, but I'm guessing (s)he's in North America rather than Europe

The thread you looked at JJay contradicts itself...what Anna posted is different to the reply that Playrix sent and is in the image just above Anna's post.
    Also later posts go on to say that time is in fact the decider.
    It appears that if you are in first place but a team are deemed to have started later but completed in a faster time they would get 1st place and you would be relegated to 2nd.
    This has happened to us a few times and that's the explanation that we got from Playrix. This is also why a delayed start does not matter anymore.
    Which has also been confirmed by Playrix.
    No matter when you take your first task if you finish in a faster time you will get 1st place.

Sorry Cuddz we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I used to think that what you said was true, but following Anna Petrova's post I reluctantly had to change my mind. It doesn't surprise me that the thread I linked to contains conflicting opinions because we are just players, and Playrix are notoriously bad at giving explanations. It also doesn't surprise me that members of Playrix staff gave conflicting information, maybe due to language barriers, but more likely that they are just very bad at communicating with customers. You can believe what you like, or if you are interested, you could send a private message to Anna Petrova and ask for clarification.

JJay, I understood that the beginning/ending time affects the outcome only, if more than one team has the same number of points. Then the team finishing earlier will win. But if there‘s a difference in points, the team with more points will win, no matter how long it took them. The explanations from Anna are just for the case of a tie.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimbelstern View Post
    JJay, I understood that the beginning/ending time affects the outcome only, if more than one team has the same number of points. Then the team finishing earlier will win. But if there‘s a difference in points, the team with more points will win, no matter how long it took them. The explanations from Anna are just for the case of a tie.
    Yes, that's the way I understand it as well Zimbelstern. It only really affects teams who score the maximum number of points in the case of a tie.

I completely agree JJay. Anna has clarified the race for finishing quickest begins when the regatta starts. Not when we start the regatta.

With so many co-ops racing with perfect scores, it would be fairer if Playrix alternated regatta start times. That or make it where your co-ops race only started when you pick your first task. As it is co-ops in certain parts of the world do indeed have an advantage over others.