Thread: Is it ok to sell apartments and houses?

Is it ok to sell apartments and houses?

I’ve finally reached the point where I have purchased all factories and finished all city buildings. I have tons of lovely decorations in storage and still have some land to unlock.

At this point in the game, is it ok to sell off these hideous apartment buildings? I would love to rebuild my city, display more decorations, and add water features. The extra room would be so nice.

Does anyone know if there will be more buildings or factories that require certain population levels, or is it ok to ditch the housing?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandi Beason View Post
    ...Does anyone know if there will be more buildings or factories that require certain population levels, or is it ok to ditch the housing?
    Congratulations on reaching that point in the game, Sandi, and welcome to the board. I don't have any special insight into the developer's minds but I'm 'certain' that, the day after I sell off housing, a new CB or Factory will be announced that requires me to rebuild what I just sold. Barb

Yes this just happened..everything complete and some sold buildings etc...and the update had both houses and a CB to build.
    Plus you would have to make room for the new stuff.
    Could be a nightmare..but who knows?... I can't see there never being any new stuff.
    If you really need to I would sell the cheapest houses.

You may find the discussion in this other thread useful.

Also, you say you still have land to unlock / expand. Land expansions have both a "tools" requirement and a "population" requirement, the most recent land expansions required 20,700 and 20,780 people to allow expansion. Selling houses reduces your town's population so keep this in mind if you do decide to sell some of the uglier homes.

I just came back to add that..you beat me cdosr lol

if you have no intent on getting any new items that the devs make available you can sell them

This is helpful, thank you all so much.

I do still have land to unlock but at this point the population requirement for my unlocked areas is ~12,000. I have over 21K residents. I could sell several housing units and still be able to unlock land for a while.

Sandi, I would still focus on expanding the land first. Even if you can't/don't fill it right away, it will keep the train algorithm in line so you are not trying to expand without tools. Selling off housing could send everything 'out of whack'. Barb

Quote Originally Posted by BJK14 View Post
    Sandi, I would still focus on expanding the land first. Even if you can't/don't fill it right away, it will keep the train algorithm in line so you are not trying to expand without tools. Selling off housing could send everything 'out of whack'. Barb
    I don't think it would impact what the trains decide to give. The population will still be showing that land expansions are available, so no reason it would. Also I have all land expansions CBs and enclosures. It hasn't stopped my trains from delivering any of the tools or building materials.