Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Redsign From Scratch - Have You Done It?

I'm about to build my last CB (At least from what Playrix is currently offering.) and want to focus more on town design. Have any of you rebuilt your town from scratch? Did you have a plan or strategy? Did you work section by section, or go 'all out'?

I have a few ideas from all the great town designs shared here so I'm not looking for advice about where to place buildings or decorations, more about the strategy of redesigning an entire town layout. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Barb

I have started over from scratch a few times, oddly though it always seems to turn out very similar to my last town.
    Kindle Fire only

Official township people watcher
    Downloaded March 8, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbox View Post
    I have started over from scratch a few times, oddly though it always seems to turn out very similar to my last town.
    LOL, Lightbox, the same thing has happened to me in earlier attempts. I'm hoping that, this time, I can do more of a renovation since I have all the buildings accounted for and (more or less) enough space to work with. Crossing my fingers...

Ooh Barb, I shudder at the thought of a huge redesign of my town at this stage. I did consider it earlier on in this game, but really my town has changed gradually. I get an idea in my head sometimes to redo certain sections of it. So rather for me I would say it has been more a case of doing sections at a time.

I think if you look closely at my town you can see this. I don't think it looks disconnected, rather the opposite but you can see I have different areas that I have spent a lot of time on (at least I hope you can ). As new decs come I am constantly making subtle changes. One thing I try to be mindful of is not keeping a decoration on display, even if I love it, if it doesn't have the right space to belong properly. Sorry I know you said you weren't looking for that type of advice .

My answer anyway is I prefer sections rather than a big redesign. Mainly so I can spend a lot of time on it and not feel like the rest of my town has been bulldozed until I get it all done . Also keeping to one section with all my other town sections intact, is more helpful for me to visualise how it will all come together, rather than a total blank canvas.

Quote Originally Posted by BJK14 View Post
    ...Have any of you rebuilt your town from scratch? Did you have a plan or strategy? Did you work section by section, or go 'all out'?
    complete rebuild, I think so, yes. I had started my town as Playrix is suggesting it - build first CBs, first factories, a few nice little houses, some streets. Then some decos, and over time more. Making a nice little village.
    Tried to make it fitting in between these, with the layout. Fire fighters and police close together, some gardens between the little houses, sometimes with some fields where the crops were fitting (f.e. roses), etc. What one expects of a town

I went on from there and had the usual problems with space, but still wanted to have all my decos out (those that I liked), as well as these ugly big houses that I had to. I didn't buy any skyscrapers at least.
    In levels between 60 and 90 I noticed that I didn't always like having to run all over my town to harvest fields - although they looked much better IMO than having them all together.

Finally, when Playrix "changed" the zoo (not to say "ruined"), I re-arranged that place completely. It had a nice arrangement before, with kids places in between etc. Now I put all up in blocks, the useless shops, the enclosures I had - divided in green, desert, snowy and watery.

And while I was at it, I re-arranged my town also. Just because (one can say I gave up my town with my zoo)
    Put everything in storage with the "Big edit" tool. Very handy.
    Took CBs out and arranged them in blocks of themes -- everything with cars and bikes and taxis together, everything with eating/shops/market together, the film/movie/cinema area. Some have an animal theme. And so on. There's a lot of CBs for an amusement park, so I put those together -- and a while later, while I looked at that area, I remembered the 3D stuff I had seen at Lorna G and built my own 3D Hill. I asked Cathy Purr for help with doing it, big thumbs up for that. Like that display still --

Main thing: I put all factories together, and I put all fields in one place. Whether one makes one big area with them or several with a certain amount (5 or 10 or whatever) is a matter of taste and working style, I guess.

Then I saved. What I described so far had to be done in one go, cos only decos can stay in storage, even with the BigEdit tool. (except the 3d hill, that came later) But with putting everything that had to be there together, it went fast. The tool helps with giving/offering all of the same until you stop.
    No streets added then, no deco. I had almost 700 at that time. I re-arranged what was out still a bit afterwards on that day, but not much. It didn't feel like it needed the big work I had thought before.

I have added some deco and some pavements (to give the areas a frame, so to speak) to my town since then, mostly and still where I see a thematic context.
    That is my strategy you asked for, I think - BigEdit and arrange those new that I must - I mean, what I did, not as suggestion for you to do the same.

I allowed myself later to add some deco again that I like. That was also, cos I wasn't all too happy about the changes, not the zoo change, nor the need for a "functional" layout. I would have liked more freedom in design - and less big houses But, as I didn't want to leave the game and "my" Coops over that, I changed my design/layout to something that I can also like. And the possibility to make it "all new" again and "different", and continuing to (be able to) add decos now for some time (am at 620 in storage now <g>), brought back quite a bit of fun.
    And btw, I also added an area for changing deco on display, as I had seen and liked in other towns, at the entry point to the town, the town sign.

I have posted a few special impressions of my town here and there, but Ruud made a wonderful complete pic of my town, will add a link later (the town has changed a bit meanwhile, cos of the ever-changing deco, but it shows some main points from this post, I think)

ETA: Here it is: https://forum.playrix.com/showthread...=1#post1576447

Factories to the left, towards the mountains, all central buildings like Town Hall etc close to the Coop building, 3D hill in the middle with the CBs on it or to the left of it, all houses that I must have "out" to the right, towards the mountains, and out of my way. And top left a bunch of stuff I didn't want to think about yet (post office and school and such), which area is at least supported by a hotel and a guy making lots of smoothies!
    Last edited by _DD_; 10-20-2019 at 10:38 PM. Reason: oops, hadn't seen your post early enough, Ruud -- many thanks! :)

This is DD's Town (at least it was before Halloween theme took over)
    I will tell more about the history of my redesigning later on.
    Change what you can't accept. Accept what you can't change
    Way2FindMe: #MJZH6C (Mijn boerderij)/Ruud's city of Rock 'nd LOL/level 115/Android

Quote Originally Posted by Downton View Post
    Ooh Barb, I shudder at the thought of a huge redesign of my town at this stage. I did consider it earlier on in this game, but really my town has changed gradually. I get an idea in my head sometimes to redo certain sections of it. So rather for me I would say it has been more a case of doing sections at a time.
    Haha, Downton, I'm lucky enough to be looking at a total redesign early in my town (only striving towards level 90 as I type). If my town looked as good as yours, I wouldn't even consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Downton View Post
    One thing I try to be mindful of is not keeping a decoration on display, even if I love it, if it doesn't have the right space to belong properly. Sorry I know you said you weren't looking for that type of advice .
    Actually, Downton, this is very helpful. I have several decos that I bought 'just because I could' (the auto show comes to mind) that I am slowly moving into storage because they don't 'fit'. It's a big help to know more experienced players do that too. <thumbs up>

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    ...Main thing: I put all factories together, and I put all fields in one place. Whether one makes one big area with them or several with a certain amount (5 or 10 or whatever) is a matter of taste and working style, I guess. ...
    Yep, _DD_ , I feel the same way. That's one thing I will keep through the redesign.

...I have posted a few special impressions of my town here and there, but Ruud made a wonderful complete pic of my town, will add a link later (the town has changed a bit meanwhile, cos of the ever-changing deco, but it shows some main points from this post, I think)

ETA: Here it is: https://forum.playrix.com/showthread...=1#post1576447....
    <Grins> Your town image is one I've bookmarked for inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Ruud View Post

This is DD's Town (at least it was before Halloween theme took over)
    I will tell more about the history of my redesigning later on.
    Thanks, Ruud! Your panoramic thread was a big part of my inspiration to re-do my town before I move on any farther. The panoramic views have an impact that single screen shots just can't compare with.
    Last edited by BJK14; 10-21-2019 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BJK14 View Post
    Haha, Downton, I'm lucky enough to be looking at a total redesign early in my town (only striving towards level 90 as I type). If my town looked as good as yours, I wouldn't even consider it.

Actually, Downton, this is very helpful. I have several decos that I bought 'just because I could' (the auto show comes to mind) that I am slowly moving into storage because they don't 'fit'. It's a big help to know more experienced players do that too. <thumbs up>.
    Thanks Barb for the compliment to my town . Still at level 90 it is a big undertaking, and I have the utmost respect for you and others brave enough (and talented enough) to do it.

Glad my little advice regarding decs was helpful .

I am very much looking forward to hearing how you get on. DD has given a great description of how she did it. Almost makes me feel like I could do it (only almost, not quite ).

Thanks, Barb happy if it helps! and I wish you much fun and success
    you're certainly aware that we'll expect pictures, yes?!

Thanks also, Downton I think you could - not sure you should There are a few towns that I have seen that display these little sections or areas in a recognizable way (which I like), and have them connected, eggsactly, and yours is one of them. So, no need or desire to change it (unless you'd have a different goal, like mine). Hey, get a second town, if you want to do a big new, LOL

...you're certainly aware that we'll expect pictures, yes?!
    <crestfallen face> Even with an excellent tutorial from Ruud and all the info here on the board, I'm still failing when I attempt to move screen shots from my phone (game) to laptop (forum). Even opening the forum on my phone has not worked. Maybe by the time I re-build my town, I'll have figured out my problem.
    Last edited by BJK14; 10-21-2019 at 02:55 PM.