Thread: Enhance Permissions for Co-Op Members/Regatta Management

Enhance Permissions for Co-Op Members/Regatta Management

Suggestion to add permissions to various positions within the co-op for regatta management.

1. Co-op members cannot “steal” a task reserved by a member of a higher level (ex. co-leader reserves a task, member or elder cannot disregard reservation). Likewise, co-op leaders and co-leaders can unlock reserves tasks if necessary.

2. Co-op members must be a certain level (co-leader, or possibly co-leader and elder), to dump regatta tasks.

Reasons for making these suggestions: our co-op has problems with members “stealing” reserved tasks, and has on occasion had problems with wayward members dumping all regatta tasks, reserved or otherwise, for no reason other than to be difficult. Yes, the members can be asked to not do these things and removed if they do not comply, but wouldn’t it just be easier to have some permissions attached to these levels to prevent problems?

AlwaysKimmie
    Well that's why it is the "leaders" responsibility to watch and make right judgement on who he/she promotes. And when they don't listen knocked back down to member or kicked. Why put that on devs when it is leaders responsibility. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by hummeme81 View Post
    ....2. Co-op members must be a certain level (co-leader, or possibly co-leader and elder), to dump regatta tasks.
    I thought only elders and upwards could dump tasks directly off the board already?

Quote Originally Posted by Downton View Post
    I thought only elders and upwards could dump tasks directly off the board already?
    That's correct. Perhaps some demotions would help with the "difficult" players.
    Last edited by dreadnought; 09-18-2019 at 12:53 AM.
    IMPORTANT: As a Township, Gardenscapes and Homescapes moderator, I only have power to maintain the forums.
    Township Support | Gardenscapes Support | Homescapes Support
    FORUM RULES

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
    That's correct. Perhaps some demotion would help with the "difficult" players.
    Thanks for the confirmation dread. I wasn't 100% sure .

In my experience if you have to control people by rules and restrictions it will never work. And it is better to have a small co-op where all the members communicate and work well together than a large one where you are all doing your own thing and not respecting each other or the co-op rules.

In other words, tell your members the co-op rules, if they don't follow them, politely on a Monday suggest they find a new co-op that suits them better if they refuse kick them out.

As someone who works in software development and database management, and administers complex software applications with hundreds of users, the point of roles is to assign various levels of permissions to prevent unauthorized personnel from making changes that might undermine the structural integrity of your operation. The regatta seems like a logical place to implement things of that nature. I understand that these things don’t fit into the philosophy of every co-op, but I’ve also seen plenty of threads and comments on this topic to know that these suggestions aren’t just to our co-op’s benefit, but underscore real problems other people are having with their co-ops. The mentality that the burden falls on leadership to kick members who can’t seem to follow the rules is akin to firing an employee when instead security measures could be put into place to take away their opportunity to break the rule in the first place. I don’t gamble that end users won’t delete something that they shouldn’t (and then recommend they get fired when they do); I don’t give them rights to delete things in the first place-those rights are reserved for management and admins. Likewise, I don’t give end users permissions to execute tasks above their pay grade just because it’s easier than building logical roles based on their position in the organization.

But hey, thanks for being open to suggestions on how the game might work more efficiently

Quote Originally Posted by hummeme81 View Post
    ............But hey, thanks for being open to suggestions on how the game might work more efficiently
    You're welcome