Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sculptures of Sand, Carving or Ice related to Township

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    lol, these are the buildings we have, right?! too good

and that is all from sand..??

why is there so strange lighting (Beleuchtung)?
    Yes, they are in our towns available too. For most of them it takes gems to buy them.

And the often spoken 'ugly' appartements could be on the background like they did here
    Less visible with 'wanted' buildings placeon the front.
    (just before you take a closer look on the pictures in that recent post, the appartements are totally different than TS ones. It was just a tip for TS towns)

The lighting is a choice of the builders in this part of the Exposition.

The journey starts with an entrance like you get in a plane.
    The first thing you see after 'boarding' is a globe but light is not very well at that spot.
    So I guess they want to give you the impression that you see those buildings through airplane windows.
    Last edited by Rocky_Ruud; 09-19-2019 at 02:13 PM.
    Change what you can't accept. Accept what you can't change
    Way2FindMe: #MJZH6C (Mijn boerderij)/Ruud's city of Rock 'nd LOL/level 113/Android

Quote Originally Posted by Nightrook View Post
    These are stunning Ruud and considering I live by the beach and make sandcastles with the kids all the time I never knew there were different types of sand.

Looking forward to seeing more.
    Aha sounds like a team of professional builders
    Creating Sand sculptures take a strong plan.
    First the artists draw their ideas on paper.
    In the meantime, the river sand is delivered. This year 50 trucks were needed to have enough material for this festival.

Formwork is made based on the designs made. These boxes are filled with a mixture of sand and water. After that, roadblock vibrators (the only real ones) are used to compress the masses. The next step is to remove the formwork and the artist can get started with his tools to 'conjure up' the sculptures.

First in very rough lines and then always finer down to the smallest detail. Spatulas but also brushes are used as tools.
    Way2FindMe: #MJZH6C (Mijn boerderij)/Ruud's city of Rock 'nd LOL/level 113/Android

Oh Wow! I am jealous you got to go...have always wanted to see these events.

Talk about a hard medium to work with...just building a simple sandcastle was hard enough, these individuals (or teams) take it to a whole other level. Interesting note on the differences in the sand used. The ones I have seen have been on beaches.

Just wonderful...thank-you for sharing!

ps: going to visit the ice castles next?
    Last edited by Twilight Bookworm; 09-19-2019 at 03:16 PM.
    "If I am found vague, listless or agitated, Administer Chocolate Immediately." Sandra Boynton

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Bookworm View Post
    Oh Wow! I am jealous you got to go...have always wanted to see these events.

Talk about a hard medium to work with...just building a simple sandcastle was hard enough, these individuals (or teams) take it to a whole other level. Interesting note on the differences in the sand used. The ones I have seen have been on beaches.

Just wonderful...thank-you for sharing!

ps: going to visit the ice castles next?
    It is a pleasure to share it with all of you!
    Definitely a whole other level

Ice Sculpture Festival is most often organized in Zwolle and that is quite a trip.
    But maybe if the Topic is interesting enough and I can keep my Winter jacket on who knows...

Ruud, looking at your description of the process, does this mean the sand is made into uniform blocks and then cut down as though you were sculpting a piece of stone? Finding this fascinating as we have sand sculpture contests on the beach here and most people do it the other way...they build up adding sand rather than taking it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightrook View Post
    Ruud, looking at your description of the process, does this mean the sand is made into uniform blocks and then cut down as though you were sculpting a piece of stone? Finding this fascinating as we have sand sculpture contests on the beach here and most people do it the other way...they build up adding sand rather than taking it anyway.
    Perhaps the description has not become optimal due to the help of Google. Wooden boxes without a bottom are used in which the sand is crushed. The wood from the boxes is later removed so that its shape remains.

At the beach sometimes there are workshops in creating such sculptures too. They use one 'box' placed on a 'table'. The result stays on the table.
    Of course if you want to try this technique you can place the 'box' on the ground

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Ruud View Post
    The lighting is a choice of the builders in this part of the Exposition.
    The journey starts with an entrance like you get in a plane.
    The first thing you see after 'boarding' is a globe but light is not very well at that spot.
    So I guess they want to give you the impression that you see those buildings through airplane windows.
    That was such an aha-moment that I almost forgot to answer! thanks, Ruud!
    illustrating almost everything also with the photos is so great! did you make them all yourself?

I didn't get yet how they can form anything in or "below" wooden boxes, which are square, aren't they, but will wait for more questions or pics

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    That was such an aha-moment that I almost forgot to answer! thanks, Ruud!
    illustrating almost everything also with the photos is so great! did you make them all yourself?

I didn't get yet how they can form anything in or "below" wooden boxes, which are square, aren't they, but will wait for more questions or pics
    Yes, all Photos of the Festival I have made myself. I was a little bit concerned about the level of my phone's battery but the trip was finished 'in time'.
    Most spots on this journey were crowded but I succeeded to 'isolate' the things we Forummers are interested in (or edit the photos afterwards to get the same result)

On your last question: more information will certainly follow, although for visual information I need to search online too.

In the meantime I will show you the last buildings of this City of Sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Ruud View Post
    Yes, all Photos of the Festival I have made myself. I was a little bit concerned about the level of my phone's battery but the trip was finished 'in time'.
    Most spots on this journey were crowded but I succeeded to 'isolate' the things we Forummers are interested in (or edit the photos afterwards to get the same result)
    Many thanks again for the work and your time that you put in here, Ruud, to let us participate! so much fun, and much appreciated.
    (and thx to Anne for 'enduring' it also!)

I'm also still enthusiastic that all these builders must be TS players.

They look stunning Ruud and thanks for more information on the building methods. I may try that, give us a new way to build on the beach...who knows I may start a new trend here.