Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Need more chickens

Quote Originally Posted by JJay View Post
    Oh sorry, it opens for me so I'm not sure how I can fix it (technically challenged - lol), but anyway it says:

"Nordhessische Spezialität:. Duggefedd - dipping fat

Me brucht 250 gr Speck, 'n Becher Schmaand oder Bichsenmelch, 'n bisschen Saalz unn ne Zwebbel
    needed:250g thick back bacon, a beaker of sour cream or condensed milk, a little salt and an onion

Den Speck in Werfel schnieden unn in ner Panne usslossen. Dice the bacon and brown in the panDann de klenegeschneddene Zwebbel zugäben und brodn bisse brunn währen. add finely chopped onion and fry until turning browndann de Panne vum Fier nähmen un den Becher Schmand (manche schlochen den au noch dicke)oder de Bichsenmelch unnerriehren.take the pan off the heat and mix in the sour cream (some people also add single or double cream) or condensed milk 'n bisschen Saalz ninn unn schonn isses fertich!add a little salt and it's already ready

Dobie gibbeds Bellgarduffeln oder Kleeße! unn die ducked (tunkt) me dann ins duckefett!" serve with jacket potatoes or dumplings to dunk (dip) into the dipping fat
    It was my poor internet, apparently one of my bandwidtheaters was downloading something.

Am sticking with dumplings. Am proud of myself that can understand most of it

ETA approx translation in blue italics

ETA changed buttermilk to condensed milk, boiled to jacket and duck to dipping after input from DD and Zimbelstern-
    Last edited by JayS; 09-20-2019 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    It was my poor internet, apparently one of my bandwidtheaters was downloading something.

Am sticking with dumplings. Am proud of myself that can understand most of it
    Thanks for that Jay. Dumplings sounds good to me. I'm not sure whether to be proud or worried that I understood (I think) most of it

Quote Originally Posted by JJay View Post
    Thanks for that Jay. Dumplings sounds good to me. I'm not sure whether to be proud or worried that I understood (I think) most of it
    If you're from North Hesse and didn't understand it, be worried, otherwise be proud

Bichsenmelch = Büchsenmilch = condensed milk
    Bellgarduffeln = Pellkartoffeln = jacket potatoes
    Kleeße = Klöße / Knödel = dumpling
    (Google translate for English, no guarantee)

Very impressive, Jay!

and worried, JJ, very worried...

JayS, if that was your first try with my local dialect, congrats for understanding so much! A couple of things, though: absolutely no buttermilk ... eek, not enough fat there ... ... and „duckfat“ sounds as if it was made with ducks, but it just means „to dip“.

I think the original recipe was made with a kind of bechamel: cook a bit of butter, add flour and then milk. It‘s typical for our region, because it‘s cheap, every farmer had the ingredients and it was filling, if one had to work on the field the whole day.

And for the dialect, I can only repeat myself:

Es „ch“ hott im Kuren nix ze suren, es kimmet in de Dochte ... If anybody not from Nordhessen understands that they should be worried

and the translation to standard german: Das „ch“ hat im Kuchen nichts zu suchen, es kommt in die Torte (makes no sense at all but refers to the local pronunciation).

Quote Originally Posted by Zimbelstern View Post
    JayS, if that was your first try with my local dialect, congrats for understanding so much! A couple of things, though: absolutely no buttermilk ... eek, not enough fat there ... ... and „duckfat“ sounds as if it was made with ducks, but it just means „to dip“.

I think the original recipe was made with a kind of bechamel: cook a bit of butter, add flour and then milk. It‘s typical for our region, because it‘s cheap, every farmer had the ingredients and it was filling, if one had to work on the field the whole day.
    Thanks
    Recipes are either really easy or completely indecipherable
    Re the saying below - gulp. I would have translated Dochte to daughter therefore "ch" as man(shorter männlich) which would be both sexist and extremely yucky..

Am presuming the r in Kuren and Suren are rolled to make the 'clearing throat' sound of Arabic kh, French r, German ch.

Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Thanks

Am presuming the r in Kuren and Suren are rolled to make the 'clearing throat' sound of Arabic kh, French r, German ch.
    Sorry, Jay, you’re wrong there: it‘s really like the german r as in „fahren“. Works also at the end of a word: book = bur (pronounced like the bavarian Bua) ... strange, isn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zimbelstern View Post
    Sorry, Jay, you’re wrong there: it‘s really like the german r as in „fahren“. Works also at the end of a word: book = bur (pronounced like the bavarian Bua) ... strange, isn’t it?
    No need for Sorry. Happy to learn
    Strange but enriching