Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Need more chickens

Quote Originally Posted by BJK14 View Post
    JJay - how would the USA's dish S**t on a Shingle translate?

For reference it's actually called Cream Chipped Beef on Toast but WWII GI's tagged it as "S.O.S." and the name has stuck.
    Lol BJK Of course I had to go and google it which brought me to these delightful pictures -

Screenshot_2019-09-18-23-27-11_kindlephoto-367669643.jpg

Screenshot_2019-09-18-23-26-23_kindlephoto-367601494.jpg

I'm honestly not certain what I would call that in British English (Well, I can think of a few names, but none that I want to share here!)

But just to be fair to the US military, I also discovered that British submariners had a dish called S**t on a Raft, which was devilled kidneys in (brown) gravy on toast.

Again, I'd probably like both of them if I tried them, but they just don't advertise themselves very well

Quote Originally Posted by JJay View Post
    Lol BJK ... But just to be fair to the US military, I also discovered that British submariners had a dish called S**t on a Raft, which was devilled kidneys in (brown) gravy on toast. ...)
    Thanks JJay, I never knew about that one...off to Google.

Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post
    Nevada, I've been traveling around a few southern states this past week, my "go to" breakfast has been Biscuits and Gravy

Attachment 48424.......
    Do you eat grits with that?? I think if I tried it I'd probably quite like it, but biscuit gravy and grits doesn't sound very appetising, and if you translate it to British English - scones, white sauce with sausage fat, and porridge it sounds even worse LOL
    Sorry cdosr, but that picture, then JJay' translation convinces me that Nevada' assessment earlier is spot on (just slightly more beige,lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
    American biscuit looks almost exactly like our (plain) scone, but has a more bready taste.

The “gravy” they then subject this deliciousness to is some foul gloopy white sauce stuff......

You know, we have a local speciality in northern Hessen, which is called „Duggefedd“ (dipping fat, or something like that). It looks very similar, but also has onions in it. And it‘s eaten with potatoes. Tastes much better than it looks, also

Quote Originally Posted by Zimbelstern View Post
    You know, we have a local speciality in northern Hessen, which is called „Duggefedd“ (dipping fat, or something like that). It looks very similar, but also has onions in it. And it‘s eaten with potatoes. Tastes much better than it looks, also
    And much better than it sounds as well hopefully Z, lol

That sounds like bread and dripping which apparently used to be 'popular'.

I think this sounds quite nice Again I googled it and found a post about it - http://regiowiki.hna.de/Duckefett - but please tell me is this your regional dialect? And what is Kleeße? I managed to work out what most of it meant, but couldn't figure out that word

I think this sounds quite nice Again I googled it and found a post about it - http://regiowiki.hna.de/Duckefett - but please tell me is this your regional dialect? And what is Kleeße? I managed to work out what most of it meant, but couldn't figure out that word
    Recipe won't open so can't see context, but from memory Kleeße are similar to Knödel so dumplings

Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Recipe won't open so can't see context, but from memory Kleeße are similar to Knödel so dumplings
    Just to say link to the recipe works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Oh sorry, it opens for me so I'm not sure how I can fix it (technically challenged - lol), but anyway it says:

"Nordhessische Spezialität:

Me brucht 250 gr Speck, 'n Becher Schmaand oder Bichsenmelch, 'n bisschen Saalz unn ne Zwebbel

Den Speck in Werfel schnieden unn in ner Panne usslossen. Dann de klenegeschneddene Zwebbel zugäben und brodn bisse brunn währen. dann de Panne vum Fier nähmen un den Becher Schmand (manche schlochen den au noch dicke)oder de Bichsenmelch unnerriehren. 'n bisschen Saalz ninn unn schonn isses fertich!

Dobie gibbeds Bellgarduffeln oder Kleeße! unn die ducked (tunkt) me dann ins duckefett!"