Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Need more chickens

Quote Originally Posted by Zimbelstern View Post
    Grins ... the only one bad tempered was the teacher, who thought my friend had been doing it on purpose
    Oh No. Poor kid.
    I had to give kudos to a friend's (bi-lingual) 9yr old with a new teacher
    Teacher (some sympathy as can't be easy giving English lesson with a native-speaking kid in class : "Oui poot ze brrrread een zee oaf-fen"
    Kid raises hand, then "Miss, I don't know how it's said in America, but in England we say 'uvun' "
    He got a detention for cheek. I gave him sweets for diplomacy.
    A different friends kid had their mouth taped shut for speaking without permission (different teacher too).
    Autre pays, autres mœurs.....

Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Oh No. Poor kid.
    I had to give kudos to a friend's (bi-lingual) 9yr old with a new teacher
    Teacher (some sympathy as can't be easy giving English lesson with a native-speaking kid in class : "Oui poot ze brrrread een zee oaf-fen"
    Kid raises hand, then "Miss, I don't know how it's said in America, but in England we say 'uvun' "
    He got a detention for cheek. I gave him sweets for diplomacy.
    A different friends kid had their mouth taped shut for speaking without permission (different teacher too).
    Autre pays, autres mœurs.....
    O dear, how unfair ... I love your french-english sentence

We had at our school an English teacher with a terrible pronunciation, she couldn’t do the „r“ properly and had difficulties with the „th“ also. On the other hand she was a great teacher in all other respects. So it was decided to let her do only proficiency courses in leading to A-levels, because she wouldn’t have to teach pronunciation in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by BJK14 View Post
    _DD_ , From a quick Google search of the word origin for (a chicken) coop I found that it comes from 'Middle English cowpe ; related to Dutch kuip ‘vat’ and German Kufe ‘cask’, based on Latin cupa .
    Co-op is what I would expect to see for the building that people gather in. Sorry for the confusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    Now, THAT is a great source of possible confusion!
    LOL, didn't notice before the chicken house-thingies are called Coop like the (one) Coop building/group we players meet in.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post
    Technically it's a Chicken Coop and a Co-op building. Not to be confused with a 38 Ford Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    I bet it is difficult with a well-working knowledge of German, too. *g*
    Very interesting! It's sounds like it was a miracle that ANYthing commonly understood (and learn-able) came out of it!
    Thanks for this, too - I still wasn't aware of this, cos I wouldn't have pronounced them differently (I noticed thru your post). I pronounce them as German, which is Ko-op. So that help was missing, even with the coupe earlier (which I pronounce Coupé = Kupee, German spelling).
    Other than here, I'll stay with henhouse. *G*
    I like to add to this chicken topic that Google often translates Coop in 'kippenren'.
    We just arrived in the cottage we're we will spend our holidays (again? I know *g*).
    And I already mentioned in 'cracklin about chicken' we stay near Chicken capital of the Netherlands.

And then I watched the sign with the name of the street.on it....
    20190909_145014.jpg
    Last edited by Rocky_Ruud; 09-09-2019 at 12:50 PM.
    Change what you can't accept. Accept what you can't change
    Way2FindMe: #MJZH6C (Mijn boerderij)/Ruud's city of Rock 'nd LOL/level 112/Android

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Ruud View Post
    I like to add to this chicken topic that Google often translates Coop in 'kippenren'.
    We just arrived in the cottage we're we will spend our holidays (again? I know *g*).
    And I already mentioned in 'cracklin about chicken' we stay near Chicken capital of the Netherlands.

And then I watched the sign with the name of the street.on it....
    20190909_145014.jpg
    Chicken run?

Chicken run?
    Coop!

ETA: And for more things to share on this holiday trip I will use the Talking about threads to start with an exploration tour of the holiday park.
    Last edited by Rocky_Ruud; 09-09-2019 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Added link
    Way2FindMe: #MJZH6C (Mijn boerderij)/Ruud's city of Rock 'nd LOL/level 112/Android

Oh my! We went from needing more chickens to lessons in languages. This was so humorous and informative...thank-you!

But...what about a rooster...
    "If I am found vague, listless or agitated, Administer Chocolate Immediately." Sandra Boynton

A rooster(in Dutch)!?!
    - Timetable, for example, the system that coordinates my working days with my other colleagues in shift work.
    - A ferry grid that must stop the Scottish Highlanders (Cows) from walking on the public road instead of their Wildpark.
    - A mesh structure that must keep mosquitoes out and fresh air inside our houses.
    - BBQ, baking cakes and grilling meat!

A rooster(in Dutch)!?!
    - Timetable, for example, the system that coordinates my working days with my other colleagues in shift work.
    - A ferry grid that must stop the Scottish Highlanders (Cows) from walking on the public road instead of their Wildpark.
    - A mesh structure that must keep mosquitoes out and fresh air inside our houses.
    - BBQ, baking cakes and grilling meat!
    Can see the logic in most of those
    Shift timetable is a roster or a rota
    Cattle grids keep cows, deer, horses and sheep from crossing. (A ferry is a transport ship so irrelevant at first glance). Hard to see the link to rooster unless the bars they're made with look like perches.
    Link to mosquito netting/screens also not obvious.
    BBQ/oven (or should I say "ze oaffen") comes from roast/rôti/rosti rather than roost. (Of course roast could be rooted to roost as male chickens less useful than the female so more likely to be cooked)
    ETA. Roast comes from grid in oven so that's where cattle grid comes from.
    Rooster is an Americanism for cockerel as apparently the four letter short form could be considered rude.
    Last edited by JayS; 09-09-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Can see the logic in most of those
    Shift timetable is a roster or a rota
    Cattle grids keep cows, deer, horses and sheep from crossing. (A ferry is a transport ship so irrelevant at first glance). Hard to see the link to rooster unless the bars they're made with look like perches.
    Link to mosquito netting/screens also not obvious.
    BBQ/oven (or should I say "ze oaffen") comes from roast/rôti/rosti rather than roost. (Of course roast could be rooted to roost as male chickens less useful than the female so more likely to be cooked)
    ETA. Roast comes from grid in oven so that's where cattle grid comes from.
    Rooster is an Americanism for cockerel as apparently the four letter short form could be considered rude.
    Aha so now I am roasted by you *g*

I was just going to ask what that tells us... and then saw your street, lol! You really have funny vacation goals Now you're in a henhouse?!

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Bookworm View Post
    Oh my! We went from needing more chickens to lessons in languages. This was so humorous and informative...thank-you!

But...what about a rooster...

with the crew here, I expect us to land always in either language or strange background stuff - or both. *G*
    And LOL again at the consequences of your question I would bet you just wanted to use that emoji finally, eh? or did you know about these many meanings? (I cautiously didn't look it up in <G>erman.)

p.s.: and the OP hasn't even been back yet to check for answers to their question, after all in "troubles". If they were (and stayed silent), I'd think we scared them off *g*
    Last edited by _DD_; 09-09-2019 at 03:57 PM.