Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Treat Forum and Facebook equally

Downton, what name did you use for fb? Was it a real name or a fake name?

I initially set up my Facebook with the “surname” as Township, and it was fine for a month or so, but then got picked up as “fake”, and had to follow the steps you describe. It was that, or I was given the option to change my name, which I did, and it’s all been fine since.

(Driving licence, letter addressed to the name you’re trying to use, medical card, army card, bank card... IIRC there was a list of about 30 different things you could send in).
    IMPORTANT: As a Township moderator, I only have power to maintain its forum.
    - Township Support.
    - Before posting a question, please make use of:
    Township Wiki,
    • the stickies on top of each sub-forum,
    • the search function to see previous posts.

”So fly away on a bright new morning,
    Spread your wings and soar to the skies,
    Let softest winds take you on your journey,
    And we will know that you are home.”

Quote Originally Posted by Downton View Post
    I'm in the UK. I did try to create an account with FB just to link my game to Android as I am on kindle. After a few hours I got a message saying I needed to verify who I was by providing ID. I didn't do this and my account was disabled. I was going to close it as soon as I had linked my game anyway, but it was disabled before I could even do that.

ETA I am not disappointed not to have FB, if anything I am annoyed with myself for trying to create something I didn't want for the sake of a game.

Also Bee Anna was suggesting a second account just for the game which IS against FB rules.

BTW The fact you use FB makes it pretty obvious you would have a different point of view regarding opening an account with them and subsequent feelings regarding privacy.
    I already know why you were asked for an ID. Any new account that adds too many friends or certain activities will trigger Facebooks system to check and verify if its a spam account. Hence they will ask for ID. If you join and do nothing with it for a few days and add friends slowly etc it wouldn’t trigger that.

Again, if you all firmly believe Facebook is 100% unsafe then don’t join it. I’m trying to tell you it’s not as bad as you think, given most of you haven’t even tried it. So I don’t know where your opinions of it came from.

As for second accounts, Facebook did say everyone should have 1 account as part of their community standards. However, if only you knows how many people have multiple accounts for the same person and Facebook verified them and allowed them to exist you will be surprised. The reason is many people have more than 1 town hence they need more than 1 Facebook per person. And Facebook doesn’t close there accounts even after they ask and we tell them it’s for gaming.

If you just go by what they write in their community standards then yes technically they say one person one account. What I’m trying t tell you it’s not the case in reality and Facebook is ok with it.

And one last time, I’m only trying to address some concerns some people have based on my own experience on Facebook. You can choose not to believe me or agree with me. But it is a bit mind boggling that you can have such strong opinion on something you haven’t even tried.

Anyway, I won’t respond to this topic anymore, as it seems most people on here are pretty firm on only liking the forums and not willing to try Facebook whatsoever, I can’t change your mind. Goodnight!
    Last edited by Bee22; 09-18-2019 at 04:04 AM.
    Town name: grumpBAE or bee, it depends lol
    Coop: Snowflake (#SNHMNF)
    Level: 218

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
    Downton, what name did you use for fb? Was it a real name or a fake name?

I initially set up my Facebook with the “surname” as Township, and it was fine for a month or so, but then got picked up as “fake”, and had to follow the steps you describe. It was that, or I was given the option to change my name, which I did, and it’s all been fine since.

(Driving licence, letter addressed to the name you’re trying to use, medical card, army card, bank card... IIRC there was a list of about 30 different things you could send in).
    Yes it was a fake name Nevada. I used Town as my last name. Problem now is it will just ban any account I try to set up. So I couldn't join even if I wanted to.

Speaking as me personally and not a moderator (in case that makes a difference ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

I used to have a personal account on fb. I’m sure it’s floating out there somewhere still, don’t know, never really used it, even back in facebooks prime.
    Now I have just a “gaming account”.

I agree with others that said they prefer the organised look of the forum. The multitude of pointless unrelated replies to anything ever on FB hurts my brain and I just can’t fathom why anyone even bothers attempting to find helpful info over there.

As a side note; I’ve never really bothered to try and learn the art of understanding FB. Were I interested enough I’m sure there’s ways around the great bumbling mess of comments added to initially helpful posts.

In contrast, I know there are people out there (and a lot of them) that simply can’t use the forum because it’s a navigational nightmare. I guess it just depends on what you’re used to using.

Regardless: Facebook is the way forward, it seems. As Anna said, there are no current plans to close the TS forum so I shall continue here.

(As a mod-)
    We will still endeavour to keep beta peeks/update/event/etc threads going.
    Last edited by Nevada; 09-18-2019 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Sneaky smiley
    IMPORTANT: As a Township moderator, I only have power to maintain its forum.
    - Township Support.
    - Before posting a question, please make use of:
    Township Wiki,
    • the stickies on top of each sub-forum,
    • the search function to see previous posts.

”So fly away on a bright new morning,
    Spread your wings and soar to the skies,
    Let softest winds take you on your journey,
    And we will know that you are home.”

Thanks Downton, I must have got in early enough to avoid that.

Bee, I'm not disagreeing with you, and I must say I have seen groups you mod on Facebook and they are very well run. Plus the information you share with your own groups, the official Towndhip group and the forum is immensely helpful. So please don't take this personally.

But you are telling people the same as Anna is, it is ok to have 2 separate Facebook accounts...and while I know a lot of people do it this really isn't allowed under Facebook's Community Standards and your account may be disabled if you try it. Yes most people get away with it, but that doesn't make it right and it doesn't mean it is something Playrix as a company should be advocating.

Then there is the second issue with Facebook, yes you can be anonymous, but so can everyone else. This means a lot of bullying, harassment, abusive behaviour and foul language goes on within a lot of Facebook pages and from experience I know that reporting this doesn't stop it. As I say well run groups like yours are fine, but not all groups are that well run. Some people don't like to use Facebook for this reason alone.

Thing is why can't we have both? Would it be so difficult for whoever posts the updates at a certain time every day on the Township Mobile FB page to post them on here too? That is all this thread was started for...not to get rid of the Facebook presence, but to ask Playrix to support the forum with the same updates.

There's a sneak peek on Township Family of the beta version for the next update -

https://m.facebook.com/groups/238264...composer=false

Doesn't seem to be anything too controversial Not sure if it's allowed to mention details on here, but if those not on Facebook want to know details, I'm happy to message them.

AlwaysKimmie
    Well if a social media sites wants personal info to have an account screw them. And second FBtop security guy left the company because the so called security is a joke. My neighbor had a FB account gave real name ect... and yep what a shock HACKED and they gave no explanation but blamed my friend. So please rethink FB playrix.
    P.s I use to have Facebook long time ago and even then ppl were getting hacked still are today

Thanks Nevada, I know you and dread will keep us as updated here as you possibly can . I go and look on the FB pages occasionally when I am on my laptop (can't see the comments on my kindle) and find it laborious trawling through all the jumbled up posts.
    I really like the forum and FB just doesn't make the same sense to me personally.

I agree Nightrook, the question is why can't we have both? Surely there is a place for both platforms. I respect people's preference for FB, all we ask is to continue to have a relevant forum as an alternative for those of us, who for whatever reason choose not to use it. As I said my intention was never to keep an account and actually use it. I do find the interactions there to aggressive and don't consider it a healthy environment for me to be part of.

Nightrook
    Thanks for saying what I wanted to better than I could.

I had horrendous experience in real life thanks to info about me shared on FB by a third party which I won't go into here. As a result lost both my real account and my not quite separate enough games account . Can not and will not open another.
    (........and from experience I know that reporting this doesn't stop it.
    If you knew what horrors the FB Mods see and attempt often unsuccessfully to take down, userX is bullying userY doesn't even touch the sides)
    Yes the forum is unwieldy, but it is safe.
    Last edited by JayS; 09-18-2019 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightrook View Post
    Thing is why can't we have both? Would it be so difficult for whoever posts the updates at a certain time every day on the Township Mobile FB page to post them on here too? That is all this thread was started for...not to get rid of the Facebook presence, but to ask Playrix to support the forum with the same updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downton View Post
    ... all we ask is to continue to have a relevant forum as an alternative for those of us, who for whatever reason choose not to use it. ....
    Exactly x 2.
    But Anna's reply yesterday here triggered that FB discussion a bit more.
    Last edited by _DD_; 09-18-2019 at 04:59 AM.