Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hoarding? How do you organize your barn?

Hoarding? How do you organize your barn?

Have any of you figured out what the sweet spot is for keeping products in your barn?

Today I've set out on a quest to organize my barn. Crops vs. Products. Items that take the longest to make? I was thinking those things that take the longest should be kept in the greatest numbers. But as I was producing things I began to realize some things just are not in that great a demand i.e. books, peach yogurt, etc. so maybe keeping too many of those is a bad idea (until a train wants large numbers).

I was wondering if any of you Township players have found a method that works well for using the barn to your best advantage.

Any and all ideas would be great to see.

Thanks,
    co-op Sibbys 2.0
    level 75
    zoo 9

I mostly just go around and make things, partly randomly and partly based on what is currently being requested. I make a greater number of items that take a shorter time to complete, and a smaller number of those that take a long time to complete. If I see I'm short on something, I'll produce it. I'm always having milk and eggs in production, wool, bacon and honeycomb as when supply runs out. I make most of bread, cookies, yogurt, cheese, rubber, sugar, syrup, popcorn, corn chips. I'll have maybe one hat, one pair of boots...

Most of my barn is taken over by tools and ingots, plus too many coconuts, olives, lobsters and shrimp. There are some things I rarely if ever produce. I buy them from the market or the dealer. Those are books, peach yogurt, suits, frozen yogurt and boots. I also don't produce jewelry, as I find it a waste to spend ingots on it. So I do stock up and have at least a few of each at a time.
    Last edited by MarinaK; 01-02-2017 at 07:57 PM.

I'm trying a new strategy of the "6 of" rule. Making six of all the products and keeping it that way in the barn. Some of the items that take much longer to make like Eskimo Pies at least nine.

Hi, I'm at lvl 94 and my barn is at 935. I've been playing since Feb/15.

I have 5 groups of 23 fields and I grow 23 of each crop at a time, if one gets down to only 10 left, I grow it again. Crops taking longer than 4 hrs gets grown overnight unless I don't need anymore crops which take less than 4 hrs, then I'll take a group of fields and will start the most needed lengthy crop. I never have fieds waiting for harvest. They are constantly growing. I never fill heli orders that require a lot of crops unless they are quick crops taking less than 1 hour to grow.

For goods, the foundation items, such as sugar, bread, yarn, plastic, etc, are constantly being produced because I can't keep them in stock. The rest of the goods, I try to keep a minimum of 3, so I produce the things I have less than 3 of first and if there are any foundation items left (which is usually unlikely) I start producing the 4th of each item, and so on. To combat my foundation items of always getting used by the same factories, first I start loading factories from one direction, then in the next reload, usually about an hour later when Raj comes, I load the factories in the opposite direction.

I don't keep any products on my shelves because I hate the cluttered look of it.

Of the animal products, I keep 18 each of milk & eggs, and 12 bacon. The wool & honey I only take as needed.

I have 4 ships all dedicated to specific islands which are only idle overnight. (All of my ships take less than 6hrs).

I buy pretty much everything the market offers, with the exception of things requiring TCash & quick crops unless I am desperate for them.

I don't know how people struggle with a full barn. I can't fill mine. The only time it gets near full is when I've harvested all of my fields and collected everything from the factories. After reloading my factories, I usually have about 150/200 free spaces in my barn. I find that even though all of my factories are at lvl 15 or greater, I still can't produce quick enough to fill my barn. It has been this way for me ever since my barn was at 400/425. I just grow crops in greater numbers than I did back then.

Mind you, I give A LOT of my products away, plus, before I reset my factories & assuming I have no train or plane orders, I send whatever heli-orders I can and delete the rest. The end result is rarely having a full barn & I usually lead my co-op in help stats.

LisaMH

What about building supplies? Have you completed all the community buildings so you just sell those items? I am working on the skyscraper currently then there are still four more left. The supplies for the skyscraper add up to 237 (if I am remembering correctly) and my barn is only at 835. Those supplies alone take up a huge portion of my barn and that's not even counting tools towards land expansions or barn upgrades. Plus, like an idiot, I upgraded factories instead of my trains so have been madly producing ingots to go towards train upgrades and they take up space also.

Just can not imagine not having a bursting full barn, lol! I envy you!😊
    Last edited by Peggy77; 01-03-2017 at 09:10 AM.

You will need the building materials if you plan to build the zoo.

I find the barn will always be full. I am level 165, with a barn of 3735.

I am so glad I asked this question.
    You people are amazing. Some very real strategies at play here. This game is deceptive in its cute, kind of sleepy way. I knew there were ways to optimize my progress besides the ones I've blindly stumbled upon on my own and reading different tips in the forum.

I hope more people chime in on this question and others are sparked to strategize their game play.

I'm on a mission now!

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy77 View Post
    LisaMH

What about building supplies? Have you completed all the community buildings so you just sell those items? I am working on the skyscraper currently then there are still four more left. The supplies for the skyscraper add up to 237 (if I am remembering correctly) and my barn is only at 835. Those supplies alone take up a huge portion of my barn and that's not even counting tools towards land expansions or barn upgrades. Plus, like an idiot, I upgraded factories instead of my trains so have been madly producing ingots to go towards train upgrades and they take up space also.

Just can not imagine not having a bursting full barn, lol! I envy you!😊
    Yes, I have all of my factories and community buildings, however, as I mentioned barn space hasn't been a problem since around barn size 400. The reason for this was I didn't start collecting the slabs and bricks until I reached about 75-80% of the glass required. I read that tip here I think. Once I read that I never had a problem again. If I did, it was very short-lived.

Plus, I am not too interested in the zoo, but like the community buildings, I only work on it when I have enough planks. The township wikia is an excellent resource for knowing how much of each item you will need to complete buildings.

I stopped upgrading trains once I realized that they often sit around a lot, either because I'm working or because it wants something I or my friends don't have such as lime pies. So I didn't see the point of upgrading to make them come faster and then have them idle, so I focused on factories and ships instead - one of my best moves ever. However, I kind of wish I had worked on the ships earlier.

This is just my game playing style. It took me A LOT of trial and error to get there, mostly error! I just thought others may be interested. I hope it helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa MH View Post
    Yes, I have all of my factories and community buildings, however, as I mentioned barn space hasn't been a problem since around barn size 400. The reason for this was I didn't start collecting the slabs and bricks until I reached about 75-80% of the glass required. I read that tip here I think. Once I read that I never had a problem again. If I did, it was very short-lived.

Plus, I am not too interested in the zoo, but like the community buildings, I only work on it when I have enough planks. The township wikia is an excellent resource for knowing how much of each item you will need to complete buildings.

I stopped upgrading trains once I realized that they often sit around a lot, either because I'm working or because it wants something I or my friends don't have such as lime pies. So I didn't see the point of upgrading to make them come faster and then have them idle, so I focused on factories and ships instead - one of my best moves ever. However, I kind of wish I had worked on the ships earlier.

This is just my game playing style. It took me A LOT of trial and error to get there, mostly error! I just thought others may be interested. I hope it helps you.
    Actually, regarding upgrading my trains, this thought went through my head today:. "Why am I upgrading them to come faster when I can't fill them for hours and hours because they want 10, 15 or 20 of a crop that takes hours to grow?"

So, I was slowly coming to the same conclusion you had already reached.

I have not yet even started my zoo. One of the very first posts on this site that I read was a negative one towards the zoo. I read several more similar to that first one and decided beforehand that I was not going to open it until I had completed all community buildings and factories. Then, maybe, but only maybe.

I have a feeling that you are simply far more organized than I am and a much better judge at how many of each item to hang on to. I hope someday I will also be that good.

I have never read that clue about the building supplies. What I have read (and followed) is to only buy one community building at a time and, if the trains are bringing too many of one type, to make sure it stays one less than required until you only need one or two more of the other types of building supplies. Which I have also followed, selling off the excess to keep it one below.

I don't have serious problems getting the supplies I need. It normally only takes one or two days after it has finished to the point where it is ready for the supplies and that period of waiting does not bother me. But it is interesting about how the glass works.

I am very short on barn space right now. I have close to enough supplies for my skyscraper but not quite. I can't wait to get it built and get some short-lived relief.
    Last edited by Peggy77; 01-04-2017 at 06:55 AM.

I may have read that tip somewhere else - I'm always hunting for tips. My zoo is at level 10 so, obviously it's not a priority for me. I will say this though, getting an enclosure full of animals does reward you nicely in TCash. I like renaming the animals and the zoo has nice pathways that I wish I could use in my town. I don't know if you've noticed but township people like to sit on the benches there and kiss which I have never noticed in my town. The zoo is definitely something I will develop further, I'm just too lazy right now.

Happy Townshipping!