Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about updated forum rules

Question about updated forum rules

A quick question about the updated forum rules - does no.12 mean we're no longer able to post links to wiki in answer to people's requests for info?

And an observation - I don't think asking people to only post in English (rule 13) makes this place "even more fun and friendly", to me it seems as though it would discourage non-English speakers from posting.

Quote Originally Posted by JJay View Post
    And an observation - I don't think asking people to only post in English (rule 13) makes this place "even more fun and friendly", to me it seems as though it would discourage non-English speakers from posting.
    Rule #13 says to consider ​posting in English as you may receive a reply to your post quicker. It does not ask that you do, or in any way state you should or have to. It seems a reasonable and helpful suggestion to me.

ETA I would appreciate some clarity with rule #12 as well. Since the township wiki link is in my signature I have hidden my signature until I know whether I need to remove this link. I hope it is allowed as I think it is an excellent site to reference.
    Last edited by Downton; 06-28-2019 at 01:32 PM.

A quick question about the updated forum rules - does no.12 mean we're no longer able to post links to wiki in answer to people's requests for info?
    I am curious about that as well, as the wiki page breaks down game play in more detail and has visual aids...I love visual aids.
    Last edited by Twilight Bookworm; 06-28-2019 at 12:56 PM.
    "If I am found vague, listless or agitated, Administer Chocolate Immediately." Sandra Boynton

Yikes! I didn’t even think of the wiki. It would be a shame, if links to it couldn’t be posted any longer

Quote Originally Posted by Downton View Post
    Rule #13 says to consider ​posting in English as you may receive a reply to your post quicker. It does not ask that you do, or in any way state you should or have to. It seems a reasonable and helpful suggestion to me.
    Obviously it's just my opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree, but I think this forum focusses too much on English language speakers as it is. I think encouraging people who speak other languages would increase membership and make the place much more lively and fun, not to mention more diverse and inclusive. I would like to see more languages used rather than fewer - after all English speakers have the option of using a translation tool as well as non-English speakers. Offering the choice of other languages on the forum registration page would be helpful too (and maybe a translation of the rules )

Or am I getting this totally wrong by assuming that this is the only official Playrix forum? Are there other fora available for players who speak other languages? (For example, I believe they have an official page on Sina Weibo for Chinese speakers similar to the one in English on Facebook, so do they have a Chinese forum as well?)
    Last edited by JJay; 06-29-2019 at 07:52 AM.

The way I understand rule #12, it doesn't concern the wiki. It is mainly about private groups of people, like some on Facebook. The wiki is not a group of players, it is an informative site.
    Graylady, Forum member since may 2014 --- I am just a player, not a Playrix staff
    Playing on Android, not on Facebook
    Township level 202, Zoo 188 animals, --- Fishdom stop at 1518 --- Homescape stop at 650

Please read this important post by Playrix about Township : Wishes/requests already rejected by Playrix

Quote Originally Posted by Graylady View Post
    The way I understand rule #12, it doesn't concern the wiki. It is mainly about private groups of people, like some on Facebook. The wiki is not a group of players, it is an informative site.
    Thanks GL, that is good .

Obviously it's just my opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree, but I think this forum focusses too much on English language speakers as it is. I think encouraging people who speak other languages would increase membership and make the place much more lively and fun, not not mention more diverse and inclusive. I would like to see more languages used rather than fewer - after all English speakers have the option of using a translation tool as well as non-English speakers. Offering the choice of other languages on the forum registration page would be helpful too (and maybe a translation of the rules )

Or am I getting this totally wrong by assuming that this is the only official Playrix forum? Are there other fora available for players who speak other languages? (For example, I believe they have an official page on Sina Weibo for Chinese speakers similar to the one in English on Facebook, so do they have a Chinese forum as well?)
    JJay I understand your points, but I assume the fact that the rules etc are in English means Playrix intended the forums primary language to be English. I have no idea about other township forums in different languages. I and a lot of members on the forum have no problem using the translate tool to reply to other members speaking other languages. A lot of sites I believe have one dominant language.

I completely respect your opinion and desire for the forum, but as the forum is largely English speaking members at the moment I think the advice in rule #13 is a sensible suggestion .
    Last edited by Downton; 06-28-2019 at 02:21 PM.
    I am aware I should not start sentences with And & But etc. But I do it anyway
    New to the game? Check out the New to Township section right here on the forum for useful info & tips .

Obviously it's just my opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree, but I think this forum focusses too much on English language speakers as it is. I think encouraging people who speak other languages would increase membership and make the place much more lively and fun, not not mention more diverse and inclusive. I would like to see more languages used rather than fewer - after all English speakers have the option of using a translation tool as well as non-English speakers. Offering the choice of other languages on the forum registration page would be helpful too (and maybe a translation of the rules )

I myself don't find it offensive nor would it make non English speakers not join. It is a suggestion for ppl so it is easily able for players to help and respond. More people speak English then other language. English is universal. If ppl find it was wrong over ppl who don't speak it what does that speak in volume? I myself have seen Post's that was in native tongues, and I myself used Google translation.

Quote Originally Posted by Downton View Post

I completely respect your opinion and desire for the forum, but as the forum is largely English speaking members at the moment I think the advice in rule #13 is a sensible suggestion .
    Thanks Downton. I know that you are one of the people who makes an effort to translate and reply to posts in languages other than English, and I agree that the suggestion in rule 13 is sensible (unfortunately, in my opinion ) because people are likely to get more replies if they post in English, but maybe if it is only a suggestion it would be better if it didn't appear in the "rules" (not that members who don't speak English will understand the rules anyway )

I'm sure Admin will address the points raised here in due course, but here's my take on #13 in the meantime;

Playrix has chosen to administer this forum in the English language, so that's naturally the majority language amongst users here. It's really helpful when the minority who post in other languages at least additionally include an English translation (as hopefully those who reply might, too).

From a Moderator's point of view, we spend a considerable amount of time translating non-English-language posts so that we can check their content and placement (which may be problematic because the OP couldn't read the guidelines etc). We may also need to add titles in English, for the same reason we often edit generic ones like 'new idea' or 'my wish' - so that the community can decide what to read. So, in short, the less time we Mods spend translating, the more time we have to provide whatever other assistance/amendment might be needed (as well as whatever else we're doing) in the same way as we do for those who speak English. It's a "help us to help you" thing

Outside of Mod-specific matters, including a translation simply increases the OP's likelihood of being included and getting what they came for. It's so much more economical for the OP to translate the post once than for every reader to do it individually, too, and not everybody is prepared to translate a post themselves when the OP hasn't.

The more easily a person can be understood the more likely their post will be found in the right place and the more replies they're likely to get. Win-win.
    Last edited by Bessville; 06-28-2019 at 07:43 PM.
    IMPORTANT:
    As Township Moderators, we maintain the forum according to its rules. We are not Playrix Staff
    - How to contact Township Support
    - Co-op Ads thread, co-ops seeking new members may advertise their team here.
    - Player Ads thread, individuals seeking a co-op may advertise themselves here.