Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where the streets have NO name(but what it was possible, what would be their names?)

Well a picture maybe worth a thousand words, but you'll get neither from me
    I have very few roads, so my poor postie has to go trampling all over the grass, and possibly take a boat or two to deliver the mail.

A friend of mine lived on a newly built estate and her address was simply, Plot 5. Totally uninspiring lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    Well a picture maybe worth a thousand words, but you'll get neither from me
    I have very few roads, so my poor postie has to go trampling all over the grass, and possibly take a boat or two to deliver the mail.

A friend of mine lived on a newly built estate and her address was simply, Plot 5. Totally uninspiring lol

No harm is done by missing a picture, dear Pink,
    I've been thinking about this subject quite a while now, so I am very well aware of the towns without any roads in it.
    So maybe calling your addresses by 'Fields' or something like that?

And then my mind did it again, by popping up this popsong:
    Sting, Field of Gold:
    Many years have passed since those summer days
    Among the fields of barley
    See the children run as the sun goes down
    Among the fields of gold

And then about the Posties boat trips: I once visited Venice but can't remember how the 'adressing' was done overthere...
    Maybe one of our Italian friends can help me on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Bookworm View Post
    Wormhole Extreme Place
    Is that an obscure SG-1 reference? 😄

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post

The German town Mannheim, planned in the 17th century looks like a chessboard (the plan, that is ...), and the blocks are named accordingly. I‘ve got a friend there and her adress is O 5. The first time I saw this, I was sure, there was something missing , but that‘s all there is ...

My town‘s streets would be named after composers or more probably after organ stops (Rue de Grand Jeu, Place des voix celestes ... everything sounds better in french, doesn’t it? Or Prinzipalgasse, Hinter dem Subbass 1 ... not bad in german, either )

Quote Originally Posted by Zimbelstern View Post
    My town‘s streets would be named after composers or more probably after organ stops (Rue de Grand Jeu, Place des voix celestes ... everything sounds better in french, doesn’t it? Or Prinzipalgasse, Hinter dem Subbass 1 ... not bad in german, either )
    Lieblich Gedeckt sounds great in German. Not sure bourdon is so nice in French - an enormous black bee (good for flowers but not for my blood pressure), or depression.

Running one way it’s First, Second, Third, etc.

Running the other way the streets are named after the prevailing feature, e.g. Industry Ave., Aviation Way, River, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Veganville View Post
    Running one way it’s First, Second, Third, etc.

Running the other way the streets are named after the prevailing feature, e.g. Industry Ave., Aviation Way, River, etc.
    I've seen what your city looks like. In my hometown they call it 'Housing stock'!
    Your street names have been chosen very efficiently and effectively

Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Lieblich Gedeckt sounds great in German. Not sure bourdon is so nice in French - an enormous black bee (good for flowers but not for my blood pressure), or depression.
    I‘m lucky then, my french is rather basic

Are you an organist, too? I play only in my free time, not as a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimbelstern View Post
    I‘m lucky then, my french is rather basic

Are you an organist, too? I play only in my free time, not as a professional.
    Used to play piano. Once filled in left hand for an organist friend with a sprained wrist. Scary experience. All those pedals, all those buttons, all those keyboards. Beyond my capabilities. Wonderful to hear a good one played well though.

Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post
    Is that an obscure SG-1 reference?
    Squeeee! You got it!