Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 174

Thread: Birthday Wishes - Happy Birthday To...

  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    ... I seem to recall we should NOT congratulate in advance (if we know the date, that is; so as a general wish for the month, as this thread was started, is OK) - but don't know the reason. If anyone knows - ? (where's Jay? or Charlie? or... lol) - go ahead and tell us, pls; otherwise I try to remember to look later
    Now that you mention it I do remember reading that also. Can't help on the why though.

    So........ I take it back

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimbelstern View Post
    Well, well, well, a lot of us autumn kids around here

    Hope, you‘ll all have a wonderful month. I for sure had a wonderful october with two weeks in glorious norwegian landscape.
    So it seems Z . Glad you had such a fantastic time

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    Herzliche Glückwünsche für die November-Geburtstagskinder!

    I'll be back here shortly with the proper update, esp. as Cuddz is a Sagittarius -- November came so suddenly and unexpected around the corner, yanno... ;-D
    till then, we have this cake, for delicious entertainment:



    for all of us, Twilight, ok?!
    that's why it is so hu<g>e.
    btw, I'd love to have a day-date for you, too - anything secret or dangerous about it?
    mine is the 18th, just btw - this month is sooo full of birthdays, lol
    A strawberry cake for a chocolate addict could be construed as cruelty

    Joyeux anniversaire à tous et à toutes né (e)s en novembre.

    In partial answer to DDs question, in my family we don't congratulate in advance as an elderly relative died just between their early party and their birthday. My in-laws have no such qualms and always had granddad's party a week earlier. Have no idea what the norm is.
    Last edited by JayS; 11-02-2019 at 04:23 PM.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    A strawberry cake for a chocolate addict could be construed as cruelty
    1. It's probably a cherry cream, with the cherry on top.
    2. It was explicitely not for "a (certain) chocolate addict" (could be me, btw), but for us all.
    3. You don't know yet, what is in the little container that holds it all.



    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    In partial answer to DDs question, in my family we don't congratulate in advance as an elderly relative died just between their early party and their birthday. ...
    That seems to be the reason. I remembered some sort of superstition/belief, and sorry to hear, Jay, you experienced such a situation. - I searched for it with Google and found the statement/assumption that it is considered bad luck only in Germany.

    The reason was given that Germans are (overly) sensitive and fear that things will most probably fail if you say that they can't fail. "Don't be too sure of something before it really happens", and
    If you wish someone a happy birthday in advance that implies that the person will surly survive until that birthday. Following the logic described above that will increase the probability of that person dying before the birthday. Because that is not something you want to bring onto a person, you don't wish a happy birthday in advance.
    Still, where THAT comes from, the author of the post didn't know. Some other examples were given, like a contest or exam, where one doesn't congratulate in advance either, and obviously not only in Germany <g>.
    I didn't look further, cos the main source where I found something at all, has terrible privacy settings and wanted me to create an account for reading ... pfft.

    Anyway, I still say that - even in Germany - a general congratulation, without knowing the date, is OK, like here for all in a month.


    And for all we do know the dates now, we 'must' set up reminders.
    We're used to it by TS tasks, no? LOL

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Bookworm View Post
    November Fun Facts:

    - Zodiacs: Scorpio (Oct 24-Nov 22) & Sagittarius (Nov 23-Dec 22) (inspired by _DD_ & Downton)
    For Scorpio, first post was in October and the summary is here.

    and now we have another one:


    which looks very female with the long eyelashes, right? seems fitting *g*

    For Sagittarius, we have two rather different ones...




    ... so you can choose, Cuddz and Downton, lol,
    aaand of course this one, which is probably the one most often seen (if one looks at smileys, that is ) :




    New Fun Facts: colo(u)rs

    Scorpio => think of colors like blood red, crimson, black, maroon, burgundy and other exciting and intense colors.

    Sagittarius => purple, plum and dark blue.

    (source - and btw, just where it was found; it has nice explanations there, but is not a life philosophy nor meant here as anything else/serious to debate)
    (still btw: that site shows different dates for the Zodiac classification, different by one day, f.e. Sagittarius shows as
    Nov 22 - Dec 20, and Twilight, your source says Nov 23 - Dec 22 (here even 2 days?) In any case: )


    Herzliche Glückwünsche für die November-Geburtstagskinder!


    Last edited by _DD_; 11-03-2019 at 05:09 PM.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    For Sagittarius, we have two rather different ones...

    ... so you can choose, Cuddz and Downton, lol,....
    I've chosen!

    Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    For Scorpio, first post was in October and the summary is here. ....

    and now we have another one:


    which looks very female with the long eyelashes, right? seems fitting *g*
    Since the 23rd is on the cusp, can I have (I mean share,lol) this one as well?
    Last edited by Downton; 11-03-2019 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Thought I would add a willingness to share to increase my chances :p

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Downton View Post
    I've chosen!
    somehow I expected that ... can one say "tree colors"? LOL
    (for Cuddz: it isn't taken with that; you can have this one, too )


    Quote Originally Posted by Downton View Post
    Since the 23rd is on the cusp, can I have (I mean share,lol) this one as well?
    yes, we can have several, I'd say - as we are influenced by the "neighbours" anyway. So, one for every shoulder...
    makes for an interesting image, I <g>uess.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddz View Post
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY to everyone who shares a November Birthday with me. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Downton View Post
    Happy Birthday guys. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimbelstern View Post
    ...
    Hope, you‘ll all have a wonderful month. I for sure had a wonderful october with two weeks in glorious norwegian landscape.
    tz... I keep forgetting to say thanks for the nice (general!) wishes - danke,Twilight, Cuddz, Downton & Z!


    Downton, re the LOTS of cake - how soon is soon?
    Z, was there a relation between your birthday and that trip?

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    1. It's probably a cherry cream, with the cherry on top.
    2. It was explicitely not for "a (certain) chocolate addict" (could be me, btw), but for us all.
    3. You don't know yet, what is in the little container that holds it all.





    That seems to be the reason. I remembered some sort of superstition/belief, and sorry to hear, Jay, you experienced such a situation. - I searched for it with Google and found the statement/assumption that it is considered bad luck only in Germany.

    The reason was given that Germans are (overly) sensitive and fear that things will most probably fail if you say that they can't fail. "Don't be too sure of something before it really happens", and

    Still, where THAT comes from, the author of the post didn't know. Some other examples were given, like a contest or exam, where one doesn't congratulate in advance either, and obviously not only in Germany <g>.
    I didn't look further, cos the main source where I found something at all, has terrible privacy settings and wanted me to create an account for reading ... pfft.

    Anyway, I still say that - even in Germany - a general congratulation, without knowing the date, is OK, like here for all in a month.


    And for all we do know the dates now, we 'must' set up reminders.
    We're used to it by TS tasks, no? LOL
    I didn't realize the superstition was from Germany but looking back it makes sense as the superstitious branch of the family used to say 'toy toy toy' instead of good luck.

    We have the idiom Don't count your chickens before they're hatched

  9. #109
    Well I found a video on youtube. As well as descriptions of wishing happy birthday early in Germany being bad luck....I thought there was also a rather amusing answer given as to why (or rather what would happen) if you did so as well. Not a bad reason at all if you like the colour blue

    Dos and don'ts when celebrating a birthday in Germany
    Last edited by Downton; 11-04-2019 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Lol DD, The colour is very much like some trees I may have ;)

  10. #110
    Oh my goodness...so many!


    Cuddz, _DD_ and Downton!






    Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    ...
    for all of us, Twilight, ok?! [/SIZE] that's why it is so hu<g>e.
    btw, I'd love to have a day-date for you, too - anything secret or dangerous about it?
    mine is the 18th, just btw - this month is sooo full of birthdays, lol
    I can share...
    As to the date...secret no....it is the 20th.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zimbelstern View Post
    Well, well, well, a lot of us autumn kids around here

    Hope, you‘ll all have a wonderful month. I for sure had a wonderful october with two weeks in glorious norwegian landscape.
    Definitely! So glad you had a lovely birthday!


    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    A strawberry cake for a chocolate addict could be construed as cruelty

    Joyeux anniversaire à tous et à toutes né (e)s en novembre.

    In partial answer to DDs question, in my family we don't congratulate in advance as an elderly relative died just between their early party and their birthday. My in-laws have no such qualms and always had granddad's party a week earlier. Have no idea what the norm is.
    Hear, hear! Cruel indeed...

    Oh my...I am so sorry to hear that happened. Have never heard of not congratulating anyone before an upcoming birthday...but I can see why, very sensible as well as mindful.
    "If I am found vague, listless or agitated, Administer Chocolate Immediately." Sandra Boynton


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •