Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Moose (or Elk or Mousse)

Let's talk about Moose (or Elk or Mousse)

Is it a Moose or is it an Elk?

During working on my Wintervillage I was wondering when we talk about 'Moose' and when about 'Elk' when we talk about that big deer.
    Even Google translate switches between 'Moose' and 'Elk' when I ask it to translate the Dutch name for it, 'Eland'.
    From this question arose an interesting and funny discussion that the wire on cable cars is likely to slide a bit off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Ruud View Post
    There are a lot of Animals living on the front of the mountains.
    Today I bought this Elk (or Moose; what is the difference???) and more deers to populate that part of the mountain.
    Twilight won't try to eat Chocolate Elk, but chocolate mousse would have to hide.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post
    Twilight won't try to eat Chocolate Elk, but chocolate mousse would have to hide.
    Did someone say Chocolate Moose?
    Lenny_the_chocolate_moose.jpg
    Lenny the Chocolate Moose
    Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    LOL, you two - but does it answer Ruud's question?*
    And Charlie, I get an 403 error from your link with a lengthy error msg including "The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country."*and some technical stuff.
    Is there an explanation/story to this elsewhere?
    And Charlie, I get an 403 error from your link with a lengthy error msg including "The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country."*and some technical stuff.
    Is there an explanation/story to this elsewhere?
    Well, that's odd. The site is "Roadside America", dedicated to helping folks find attractions (nice, odd, unique, ...) as they drive across the USA. It's full of all kinds of things, like the gigantic bison statue on I-25 as you leave Colorado and enter Wyoming (I've actually seen that one).

Lenny has his own Facebook page, it's about 1700 LBs (~770 kilos) of milk chocolate slathered onto a wire mesh frame in the shape of a moose. He's inside a candy / chocolate store along US Route 1 (the East Coast Highway) in Scarborough Maine (*not* the place Simon and Garfunkel sing about**). I've been there many times as it is near the Atlantic coast where we usually vacation in the summer.
    LOL, you two - but does it answer Ruud's question?
    https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...e-and-elk.html

provides a serious answer to Ruuds question, but thought he'd prefer something humorous.

Two cows in a field see some antlers in the woods.
    Cow 1: What the elk was that? (elk sound like 'heck' a polite mix of hell/feck)
    Cow 2: MOOose
    Cow 1: Oh deer
    Cow 2 : Is it rain(ing) dear? (Rudolph)
    Cow1: Doh, a deer, a he-male deer (Sound of Music song)
    Well, that's odd. The site is "Roadside America", dedicated to helping folks find attractions*
    I had seen that URL, then the error msg is probably from that AmazonCloud-thingy, whatever it is. Thanks for the descriptions and the link; that helped**

Lenny has his own*Facebook page, it's about 1700 LBs (~770 kilos) of milk chocolate ...*
    beneidenswert, to have vacation there! I can't believe the statue hasn't been robbed or (partially) eaten or so, and, that someone has such ideas at all.*
    ...*
    Thanks**A bit too complicated for me.*

And thanks for the explanation link! Most translation sites offer just Elch for both elk and moose. And I am not familiar with the translation or use of "Wapiti" in German. (and won't keep the described differences in mind, lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Bookworm View Post
    lol, ok

yes, but that was simply a praise for your love to detail - it looks as if one could look outside there (didn't think of it as a comparison with the game, although you're right, of course).*
    I think when they add snow, it will be everywhere again - I remember complaints about it being in wrong areas in some towns,*like deserts**(one S!)
    I so read that as 'Like Desserts'!
    You say it's covered in chocolate??

provides a serious answer to Ruuds question, but thought he'd prefer something humorous.

So I would like to invite you to discuss the Elk topic further here. But if you prefer the Moose you are welcome to join too
    And I think you all have only just begun!
    Last edited by Rocky_Ruud; 11-30-2019 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Adding link to Lenny's FB page
    Change what you can't accept. Accept what you can't change
    Way2FindMe: #MJZH6C (Mijn boerderij)/Ruud's city of Rock 'nd LOL/level 114/Android

Did someone say Chocolate Moose?

Lenny the Chocolate Moose
    So there is Lenny the Chocolate Moose *g*
    Do you remember the Swedish Chef from the Muppets show with his 'version' of Chocolate Moose?
    On YouTube and so it certainly can be found!

"First you make the chocolate and then..."
    Way2FindMe: #MJZH6C (Mijn boerderij)/Ruud's city of Rock 'nd LOL/level 114/Android

Well, joining the conversation late, i can definitely say the first picture is a moose lol...you can tell by the paddle-like antlers compared to the branch-like ones the others have. We have deer, elk, cariboo and moose in our general area. In my little village, the deer are often right around our house or on the rock bluff behind our house looking down at us (and trying to keep away from the coyotes lol). The larger species are usually only seen when driving through the mountain passes but a couple of winters ago, i glanced out my kitchen window around lunchtime and saw a moose trotting down the street.
    ~Magnolia~
    🇨🇦Canada🇨🇦

Thanks A bit too complicated for me.

And thanks for the explanation link! Most translation sites offer just Elch for both elk and moose. And I am not familiar with the translation or use of "Wapiti" in German. (and won't keep the described differences in mind, lol)

I thought Wapiti didn't sound European so checked
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elk

Basically we call wapiti 'elk', we call elk 'elk' and often also call moose 'elk'.

There's a nursery rhyme "3 blind mice" , and we also eat chocolate mice, which leads me to......

Cow1. What do you call a blind moose?
    Cow2. No eye deer. (No idea)
    Last edited by JayS; 11-30-2019 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Ruud View Post
    So there is Lenny the Chocolate Moose *g*
    Do you remember the Swedish Chef from the Muppets show with his 'version' of Chocolate Moose?
    On YouTube and so it certainly can be found!

"First you make the chocolate and then..."
    Link to video: https://youtu.be/EMkZg6uG8uU

Quote Originally Posted by Magnolia Township View Post
    Well, joining the conversation late, i can definitely say the first picture is a moose lol...you can tell by the paddle-like antlers compared to the branch-like ones the others have. We have deer, elk, cariboo and moose in our general area. In my little village, the deer are often right around our house or on the rock bluff behind our house looking down at us (and trying to keep away from the coyotes lol). The larger species are usually only seen when driving through the mountain passes but a couple of winters ago, i glanced out my kitchen window around lunchtime and saw a moose trotting down the street.
    Am jealous of your wildlife but not of your temperatures

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Bookworm View Post
    I so read that as 'Like Desserts'!
    knew you would want that, so that's why I mentioned "one S" extra and separately again - just keep reading
    Last edited by _DD_; 11-30-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnolia Township View Post
    ...i can definitely say the first picture is a moose lol...you can tell by the paddle-like antlers compared to the branch-like ones the others have. ...
    LOL, yeah! that was mentioned as one of the differences in the article that Jay gave first! And Canada was mentioned as living environment (or what) - yay!
    Glad to see you know your differences!

I thought Wapiti didn't sound European so checked
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elk

Basically we call wapiti 'elk', we call elk 'elk' and often also call moose 'elk'. ...
    That's about as helpful/meaningful/aussagekräftig as the original sentence "In Europe, the word elk is used to refer to the moose (Alces alces) whereas Wapiti (Cervus Canadensis) is used for elk." lol

Thanks for the video link! (It shows how Lenny was done? *g*)

Thanks for the serious link and the fun part of your answer.
    I know the Wapiti from visiting Zoo Blijdorp in my youth and I met a Moose IRL a few years ago behind a secure fence in an other zoo.
    During our visits to Christmas shows we also come across many Moose.
    Sometimes comical Reindeer that look very much like Moose because of the appearance of their antlers (except that Moose cannot really be domesticated to be stretched for a sleigh)