Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Make Task Lists Per Player Not Per Co Op

  1. #1
    Senior Member Garvamatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    610

    Make Task Lists Per Player Not Per Co Op

    Ok, as the name says, I am proposing the idea that maybe each racer and not each team should get his or her own task list.

    The problems I see this addressing are:
    It would lessen the disadvantage of individuals within large co ops having fewer choices
    It would alleviate, perhaps even solve the frustration of not knowing who is dumping tasks.
    It would remove the need to keep requesting a way to reserve tasks, since each racer would be in charge of the order in which she completed the available task.
    It might lessen the perceived need to officially start more than one task at a time, since with no threat that desired tasks would be grabbed by someone else, a racer could more easily work on more than one task at a time, while still officially only completing one at a time.

    The potential problems I see this creating are:
    It significantly reduces the need for actual cooperation re tasks within a co op. However, this might reduce drama.
    On the plus side, I think it would make it easier for co ops comprised of multiple languages and time zones to form successful teams. The reduction in chat re what one is planning to do next, would likely be balanced by people comparing notes on their own task list offerings.

    It would most likely lead to more tasks dumped per team, and therefore might not really solve the problem of leaders figuring out who is dumping tasks. But since the stats are there per task list page, it's obviously easy to track dumped tasks per list, so perhaps Playrix could just include the per player total of dumps along with the per player total points. Teams could make rules re expectations, no task under 130, no more than 150 dumped tasks or whatever.

    Overall:
    I think this might make the formation of larger co op teams more likely, and Playrix at least seems to want this.
    I think it would not change the ratio of dumps to pay to refresh instances much, indeed it might end up increasing the amount of paid for refreshes, since each racer benefits directly from t cash spent.
    I think it would give individual racers more control over their task schedules and therefore more enjoyment from regattas.

    But:
    These are only my suggestions. I am sure I didn't think of everything, and many of you have experience being in large co ops, which I do not, sooooo what do you think are the up and down sides to individual racers being served and in control of their own task lists?

    Township: Pixelsticks
    Co op: Float My Boat (solo racer)

  2. #2
    Gold Member Missy's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    UAE
    Posts
    582
    You already mentioned
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvamatic
    It significantly reduces the need for actual cooperation re tasks within a co op.
    For exact this reason I'd not like it. To me one of the most interesting aspect about a co-op is to communicate the management of who is doing what, according to the different preferences and abilities.
    To have my own task list meant to lose my main reason for interacting in a coop of more than one member.
    Last edited by Missy's; 12-31-2016 at 01:02 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Garvamatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy's View Post
    You already mentioned

    For exact this reason I'd not like it. To me one of the most interesting aspect about a co-op is to communicate the management of who is doing what, according to the different preferences and abilities.
    To have my own task list meant to lose my main reason for interacting in a coop of more than one member.
    Well, rather than saying can I please do sweaters next, a racer might announce, I am doing sweaters next, who has time to start making yarn for me.

  4. #4
    Gold Member Missy's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    UAE
    Posts
    582
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvamatic View Post
    Well, rather than saying can I please do sweaters next, a racer might announce, I am doing sweaters next, who has time to start making yarn for me.
    Hm, not sure if I understand as this we also do with the current system ...

  5. #5
    Senior Member Garvamatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy's View Post
    Hm, not sure if I understand as this we also do with the current system ...
    Yes, I'm not suggesting that everything be different or changed, but that overall a per player task list would be an improvement. Also, I didn't suggest it merely to improve the regatta experience, but because I think this one change addresses many of the demands and wishes that get raised in the forum, such as reserving tasks, doing more than one task at a time and finding out who is dumping tasks.

    So on the specific point of co op communication, racers would no longer need to ask for or call dibs on tasks as they appear on the list, which I acknowledged might reduce the *need* for communication. But it needn't eliminate communication by any stretch, and it wouldn't necessarily make cooperating on tasks less likely. But I also think that reducing the need for communication actually has some benefits such as making language barriers, and mismatched time zones less of an issue, thereby making large co ops a more attainable goal.

  6. #6
    Gold Member hyacinth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    London, Uk
    Posts
    3,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvamatic View Post
    Yes, I'm not suggesting that everything be different or changed, but that overall a per player task list would be an improvement. Also, I didn't suggest it merely to improve the regatta experience, but because I think this one change addresses many of the demands and wishes that get raised in the forum, such as reserving tasks, doing more than one task at a time and finding out who is dumping tasks.

    So on the specific point of co op communication, racers would no longer need to ask for or call dibs on tasks as they appear on the list, which I acknowledged might reduce the *need* for communication. But it needn't eliminate communication by any stretch, and it wouldn't necessarily make cooperating on tasks less likely. But I also think that reducing the need for communication actually has some benefits such as making language barriers, and mismatched time zones less of an issue, thereby making large co ops a more attainable goal.
    Hi there

    I think that something needs to be changed, as the current system of 12 tasks being available regardless of how many members a co-op has racing, directly goes against the aim that Playrix seems to have to increase the number of larger co-op. If there were to be individual task boards, there are two things that come to my mind:

    1. The rule stating that members can't dump tasks would have to go.
    2. There would be potentially more complaints about tasks not being allocated fairly as members compare the tasks available.

    But you can make an omelette without breaking eggs

  7. #7
    Gold Member _DD_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    8,978
    Excellent idea, IMO, Garvamatic.

    In our Coop (> 20 members and about 3 different time zones) the task 'requests' in Chat vanish anyway, esp. if there is really chatting going on. Which is often.

    But I do think hyacinth is right with her 2nd pt that folks will compare their lists and complain (of course <g> ) -- not sure whether the task lists are created level-dependant (for our American friends: dependent) now, but I remember having a greyed out task (= too high for my level) also when sailing solo, so probably not.

  8. #8
    Garvamatic;

    Let it never be said that you do not think outside the box. It took me a while to get it your shortest elapsed time concept for winning a Regatta, but I eventually did and that is a great idea. This one may be, but I don’t think Playrix will ever do it.

    Call me jaded if you wish, but I think Playrix doesn’t want all those T-dollars sitting idly in our accounts. I am always in admiration of the different creative schemas they come up with to separate us from them.

    At this time they are encouraging larger Co-ops and rewarding them more so on the Golden Leaderboard. I haven’t raced in a large Co-op myself, but that has to be aggravating at times with still only 12 tasks for 30 racers! I suppose it is not uncommon for racers to spend T-cash to speed up the regeneration of the task list a tad. 30 minutes is too long!

    Individual task lists will eliminate a potential revenue stream for Playrix. If they did this they would probably make the individual task lists diminutive.

    They are making a change to the Regattas with the next update and we are all excited (or scared) what that change will be. Who knows, maybe they will relieve some of the task board pressure for the large Co-ops.

    I don’t have any problem with Playrix making money. I want them too and I am a good consumer.

    Township is great and so are you, Missy, and Hyacinth and _DD_.

    Happy New Year!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Garvamatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    Excellent idea, IMO, Garvamatic.

    In our Coop (> 20 members and about 3 different time zones) the task 'requests' in Chat vanish anyway, esp. if there is really chatting going on. Which is often.

    But I do think hyacinth is right with her 2nd pt that folks will compare their lists and complain (of course <g> ) -- not sure whether the task lists are created level-dependant (for our American friends: dependent) now, but I remember having a greyed out task (= too high for my level) also when sailing solo, so probably not.
    Yes, the dare to compare within co ops risks an onslaught of times Hyacinth will find herself smoothing feathers on the forum I fear lol. But it might promote co op chatter and banter.

    The fact that the list is level specific (and it has been in my experience so far) is something I didn't think of, and really could be a significant advantage to lower level players, and perhaps to larger co ops generally since it would be easier to have the full spectrum of levels on a team, without that fact making it harder to win.

    As for racer status and dumps, that one is wrinkly. Conceivably there could be a maximum cap on the number of tasks each could dump, instead of a yes or no dump ability, though really i don't see that doing Playrix any good, and individual co ops only a little good if any. Conceivably it could remain as is that mere members receive their own task lists but do not have the power to dump any of them. As it is they just pick from what's available, though at least what's available is somewhat improved by others dumping. If it stayed as is with members facing a task list and not having dumping rights, they would want promotion as soon as possible I think, but then I don't know why anyone persists in that role more than a day or two now. It would make me nuts, even more nuts than waiting for them to refresh.

    Anyway, glad to see forum folk poring over the possibilities. Regattas and co ops are in early days, so I expect we will see lots of little changes and maybe even some big ones.

    Pixelsticks home of Garvamatic Robotics

  10. #10
    Senior Member Garvamatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Banana View Post
    Garvamatic;

    Let it never be said that you do not think outside the box. It took me a while to get it your shortest elapsed time concept for winning a Regatta, but I eventually did and that is a great idea. This one may be, but I don’t think Playrix will ever do it.

    Call me jaded if you wish, but I think Playrix doesn’t want all those T-dollars sitting idly in our accounts. I am always in admiration of the different creative schemas they come up with to separate us from them.

    At this time they are encouraging larger Co-ops and rewarding them more so on the Golden Leaderboard. I haven’t raced in a large Co-op myself, but that has to be aggravating at times with still only 12 tasks for 30 racers! I suppose it is not uncommon for racers to spend T-cash to speed up the regeneration of the task list a tad. 30 minutes is too long!

    Individual task lists will eliminate a potential revenue stream for Playrix. If they did this they would probably make the individual task lists diminutive.

    They are making a change to the Regattas with the next update and we are all excited (or scared) what that change will be. Who knows, maybe they will relieve some of the task board pressure for the large Co-ops.

    I don’t have any problem with Playrix making money. I want them too and I am a good consumer.

    Township is great and so are you, Missy, and Hyacinth and _DD_.

    Happy New Year!
    Yup, I worry them encouraging larger co ops is based on either knowledge or a belief that more t cash is spent on refreshments (lol) in them than in smaller teams. For my part, I have been, and would be again more willing to spend t cash in all regatta endeavours on a team than when I am racing solo, so just maaaaybe others feel similarly and this overall sense of doing it for the team would balance out the supposed greater necessity of impatience spending to refresh tasks.

    I almost never pay to refresh a task, and use t cash only on speed ups with surer outcomes.
    Maybe we need to hear from some refreshment buyers instead. Would they be as likely to pay to refresh a task if it was only on their list?

    Anyway, I think this is potentially a perceived downside for Playrix for sure.

    Should I call for a boycott of refresh task buying until we get our own lists ya think, or have I already done enough damage ?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •