Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Language Differences

  1. #11
    Lol This is getting very technical!

    After some googling it appears that bairn comes from the old English word "bearn" which is of Germanic origin (_DD_!), and related to the verb to bear, as in to carry, or bear a child.

    Loons and quines are lads and lasses (young men/women) from the Doric language (or dialect) of NE Scotland, which is apparently spoken by 30,000 people today. I've never heard of those words (or Doric) till you mentioned them JayS.

    _DD_, that quote "We used to mix it with that Ministry of Food orange juice the bairns were issued around the 1950s." refers to the food supplements which were issued to children (and pregnant women and new mothers) by the government during and just after World War II when there were food shortages. Apparently they were given orange juice, cod liver oil and vitamin tablets. What a bizarre example to use to illustrate what a bairn is!

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    ah right! now that you mention it, I remember I had seen "Scot." somewhere (where I found it at all).
    Thanks, Nevada and thanks, Downton (for earlier explanation)



    That's a good example sentence I can show you the example sentence from Google translate (which offers "bairns" as German translation for "bairns", just btw):



    erm... wot?



    And nobody answers for quines and lunes?
    DD English, like German, has wide regional variations, even just within the UK before adding US, Australian, NZ, SA usage to the mix.

    We DO make an effort to keep things simple, this thread was pointing out humourous misunderstandings.
    Bairns as has already been explained is standard Northern usage for kids = children.
    A quine is a girl, a lune is a boy as you rightly surmised. Try Mädel Bubs.

    The Government used to provide not very appetising fortified orange juice for young children and also milk at Break-Time for school children to counter malnutrition.

    Incidentally I had to Google bzgl in another thread. I find abbreviations even more confusing than dialects.

  3. #13
    Thanks JJay, I didn't realize quines and lunes was only in Doric as have also heard Glaswegians use them. I also explained for DD but it's gone to moderation. ???

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    I also explained for DD but it's gone to moderation. ???
    I just meant to say "probably forbidden words!" (as a joke, btw), but your post JUST appeared. Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    We DO make an effort to keep things simple, this thread was pointing out humourous misunderstandings.
    Yes. At first. And, why are you telling me this, shouldn't I have asked what I did, in your opinion? (I think I'd also belong in/to the "We", btw)

    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Incidentally I had to Google bzgl in another thread. I find abbreviations even more confusing than dialects.
    I've had good experiences with adding "abbreviation" to the search word

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Thanks JJay, I didn't realize quines and lunes was only in Doric as have also heard Glaswegians use them. I also explained for DD but it's gone to moderation. ???
    The spam bot obviously doesn't know what loons and quines are either!!

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by JJay View Post
    ...After some googling it appears that bairn comes from the old English word "bearn" which is of Germanic origin (_DD_!), and related to the verb to bear, as in to carry, or bear a child.
    oh good grief, lol... hey, wasn't me!



    Thanks also for the "Doric" explanation! I was just amazed that there were so many words in this context, that I had never even seen. But got it now, of course, one doesn't learn dialects (or the like) at school. Learned some interesting contexts here

    Quote Originally Posted by JJay View Post
    ..
    _DD_, that quote "We used to mix it with that Ministry of Food orange juice the bairns were issued around the 1950s." refers to the food supplements which were issued to children... What a bizarre example to use to illustrate what a bairn is!
    yes indeed, that's why I quoted it. No idea how they pick their example sentences.
    I had looked at it again and again after I posted it - it was not the described situation I didn't understand, but the syntax, and hence, the sentence. I read it like two sentences: first part as above, and then didn't find the "connection", so it said "The bairns were issued around the 1950s".
    And even - or maybe *because*, lol - knowing that bairns means children, that didn't make much sense.

    Thanks! and I'll hold back with my questions or comments in this thread from now on.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post

    yes indeed, that's why I quoted it. No idea how they pick their example sentences.
    I had looked at it again and again after I posted it - it was not the described situation I didn't understand, but the syntax, and hence, the sentence. I read it like two sentences: first part as above, and then didn't find the "connection", so it said "The bairns were issued around the 1950s".
    And even - or maybe *because*, lol - knowing that bairns means children, that didn't make much sense.

    Thanks! and I'll hold back with my questions or comments in this thread from now on.
    That sentence is just sloppy English. A native English speaker would understand it but it's not grammatically correct.

    And don't hold back on the comments and questions for me - I enjoy discussing things like this (Plus I'm learning new stuff too, you're not the only one.)

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by JJay View Post
    The spam bot obviously doesn't know what loons and quines are either!!
    LOL JJay
    Am told loons origins in pantaloons- a form of trousers

    Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    I just meant to say "probably forbidden words!" (as a joke, btw), but your post JUST appeared. Thank you!



    Yes. At first. And, why are you telling me this, shouldn't I have asked what I did, in your opinion? (I think I'd also belong in/to the "We", btw)


    Of course you should ask DD, I should have thought to add an explication in brackets

    I've had good experiences with adding "abbreviation" to the search word
    That worked well once I'd remembered the German abbr. for Abkürzung

    My first Multi-Quote reply, took ages so probably another trip to Mods

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by JJay View Post
    That sentence is just sloppy English. A native English speaker would understand it but it's not grammatically correct.
    oh, glad to hear it + thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    My first Multi-Quote reply, took ages so probably another trip to Mods
    no, seems the spam bot knows you better meanwhile Thanks for your answer!
    btw, JIC you didn't see it yet, you can look in this subforum for Anna's explanations re. many forum features:
    https://forum.playrix.com/forumdispl...mp-Information
    Happy experimenting!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •