Thread: Reasons for playing

Reasons for playing

I started playing Township a couple months ago because the design aspect of the game appealed to me. Everything I do within the game is in service of that: upgrading trains quickly so I can get more materials to clear land and expand my barn, building community buildings so I can increase my population so I can access more things, working hard in regattas and helping people so I can earn lots of clovers and chests.

I’m baffled, though, because it seems like most towns I’ve seen are very poorly laid out and the design seems like an afterthought, if that. I don’t understand why someone would put in any effort to play if they’re just going to randomly cram factories, houses, and community buildings together.

Please help shed some light on this for me and share your reasons for playing!

There are lots of different aspects of the game that appeal to different players...the design aspect, the social interaction of the co-ops, the competitiveness of the regatta to name a few.
    The design part was big for me and now that i’ve cleared all the land that i want to clear, i’ve arranged things partly for looks and partly for ease in the proximity of crops and factories. The pile up of buildings you mentioned may be because the land available, at least in my town, was way behind the buildings that needed to be built to progress....and the ridiculous IMHO number of identical apartments that needed to be built. There are a lot of beautiful towns out there that have managed to balance it all out. Check the deign section of the forum for recommendations. Happy hunting!
    Last edited by Magnolia Township; 05-13-2019 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Typo
    ~Magnolia~
    🇨🇦Canada🇨🇦

My town is carefully designed and I take pride in making my town as lovely and intuitive as possible. That's today at level 111. However, my town didn't always look as good as it does now. lol Once upon a time, I had more buildings than space.

My experience is that it's easier to build community buildings and houses than it is to clear enough land to nicely place all of it. So, many of the towns that look thrown together are probably just people that have more buildings than space because they're still deep in that phase of the game where you grow faster than you can spread out.

Once I had gotten to a high enough level, a large enough barn, and had accumulated enough materials and gold coins to buy up expansions, I was increasingly able to organize my town the way I wanted it rather than just making space and moving on to the next community building. My guess is that there are other people like me - they intend to organize their towns once they get to a point in the game where they can actually do that.
    Town: Cedar Spring
    Town Level: 115
    Wildscapes Level: 546 (Max Level)
    Wildscapes Areas Finished: Asian Jungle, African Savannah & Arctic Tundra
    Forum Member: December 2015

Lol KT My town is one of those that is just thrown together randomly. It didn't start off that way - I tried to lay it out neatly and artistically but I was in a hurry to level up and gain more buildings, population etc, and soon other aspects of the game became more important to me. These days I play mainly for the regatta and interactions with other players. I have all the available buildings and maybe when I collect the few hundred tools and couple of million coins to clear my last 20 or so land expansions, I'll have a go at rearranging my town. Till then I content myself with looking at the pretty towns in the design thread with envy

Hi KT,
    The designing and social part of this game are the things that keep me in the game for about two years now.
    On the way from home to work and vice versa I cycled through the parks and other green areas in my hometown. It makes cycling very pleasant. Not very strange that my TS town contains a lot of original green (non-developed land extensions).
    Many players choose the 'ink stain method' to develop their city. I've used a different way.
    A certain planning and strategy is needed to create green 'rooms' in your city. And that without knowing what your city will ultimately look like.

And that is the nice thing about this game: You don't have to do what you don't want to do.
    Although that sometimes has consequences, because levels, CBs, population maximum and population are interconnected.
    Last edited by Rocky_Ruud; 05-13-2019 at 10:03 PM.
    Change what you can't accept. Accept what you can't change
    Way2FindMe: #MJZH6C (Mijn boerderij)/Ruud's city of Rock 'nd LOL/level 111/Android

Lol. Some people don't care about design and layout regardless of how long they've been playing. As I'll never ask them why their towns/farms look like something the cows chucked up ... I can only assume they play for the social aspect and/or just have no clue or desire to 'prettify' their towns.

I only started playing a few weeks ago because I clicked on an ad to this game to get coins for [/] ... a scrabble game I play. I've been addicted ever since. (So that works)

[/]
    Last edited by dreadnought; 05-14-2019 at 05:35 AM. Reason: rule#12 - no discussion of other games

first of all, some of the people don't have any sense of esthetics. Second, many people play to enjoy advancement in the game, leveling up and so on. Town design is not important.
    Probably I am partly in both of these categories, my town has almost zero decorations, they just look messy to me and occupy valuable space
    Level: 76

Quote Originally Posted by KT999 View Post
    I’m baffled, though, because it seems like most towns I’ve seen are very poorly laid out and the design seems like an afterthought, if that. I don’t understand why someone would put in any effort to play if they’re just going to randomly cram factories, houses, and community buildings together.

Please help shed some light on this for me and share your reasons for playing!
    I am a crammer. Though not because I want to be, but because I am still trying to open up land space. So...I cram everything not useful into the far corner (couldn't find a rug ) so as not to be readily seen.
    Then I set up my useful items as nice as I can and I also create every now and again a seasonal "themed" area.

But...that is just me.

Otherwise, my reason(s) for playing...the Sheep!
    Last edited by Twilight Bookworm; 05-15-2019 at 03:30 PM.
    "If I am found vague, listless or agitated, Administer Chocolate Immediately." Sandra Boynton