Thread: The regatta is a money generator for Playrix

The regatta is a money generator for Playrix

I used to enjoy the regatta and felt it was fair. My opinion changed in the last two cycles when I noticed a curious thing...The first week I noticed the first, second and third place winners had identical final scores. The next week, the first through fifth had identical final scores. And they were done in three days! It did not take long for me to calculate that the scores were the result of the co-ops doing only 135pt tasks and buying an extra task to maximize points. In addition, the players were obviously using township cash to speed tasks so they could finish early. While this is not cheating, what is the point? The point to me is the co-op spending the most cash in the game gets first place. That is not fair to the players that can not or will not spend real money to finish sooner. They may do all the tasks and may do only those at 135pts, but they will always rank below those willing to buy their way into the tier. It may not be cheating, but it stinks.
    Last edited by Bessville; 05-30-2019 at 05:34 AM.

My co-op had always done really well in the Regatta. We were in gold league every week. Then they changed the 135 pt tasks to show up more rarely and we started struggling. We've never fully recovered. It's really too bad that they made this change.
    Town: Cedar Spring
    Town Level: 116
    Co-op: Spring's Bounty - International Regatta Community
    Forum Member: December 2015

One man's "money generating scam" is another man's 'business successful enough to keep providing a free game', I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Bessville View Post
    One man's "money generating scam" is another man's 'business successful enough to keep providing a free game', I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Yes. If I go into a store I pay for what I buy. For playing TS I also must pay, if I wish to proceed building my town within a life time. I think that is completely normal. Some people pay to win a regatta. I myself rather spend TC on extensions (the last few saws) or barn enlargement (the last hammers) or decorations. I just mean to say that I cannot expect a large team of programmers not to get paid.
    Last edited by Elvengirl; 05-09-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Gershwitz View Post
    I used to enjoy the regatta and felt it was fair. My opinion changed in the last two cycles when I noticed a curious thing...The first week I noticed the first, second and third place winners had identical final scores. The next week, the first through fifth had identical final scores. And they were done in three days! It did not take long for me to calculate that the scores were the result of the co-ops doing only 135pt tasks and buying an extra task to maximize points. In addition, the players were obviously using township cash to speed tasks so they could finish early. While this is not cheating, what is the point? The point to me is the co-op spending the most cash in the game gets first place. That is not fair to the players that can not or will not spend real money to finish sooner. They may do all the tasks and may do only those at 135pts, but they will always rank below those willing to buy their way into the tier. It may not be cheating, but it stinks.
    My guess is you started racing just little while back or were/are racing in a lower league, and/or are playing in a co-op where many players race?

We are a 2-persons co-op racing in golden league. We started racing when regatta was introduced. We only take tasks worth 135 points, and always do 16. The only tickets we spend is pay for the last task. Regatta is a challenge to us.
    And we try to race as fast as possible, are usually finished within 2 or 3 days.
    I can only speak for golden league, and speak now having experience with 2 people racing and me on my own racing: in golden league this is not considered cheating, not unfair, in fact, it is most of the time a necessity if you want to stay in golden league. If you don't, you won’t end up in top 3, and may even have a chance of ending at the bottom, last 3 places. Yes, even lots of co-ops that missed out on the first three places do 16 x 135, so get maximum score. The times I raced solo it was even worse, racing has never been as tough as then to me.

Our results? We often end up in top 3 this way. And somesometimes we even win! I must say, until about a half year ago or so (bad memory, can't recall exactly) we ended almost always in top 3, won a lot more, but ever since the tasks have become worse and more competitors are using money to speed up. It’s the way it is, Playrix makes the rules, not us...

Forgetting to mention: when we started with regatta we were in a large co-op, so have experince there as well. It’s a long time ago, but even then we noticed quickly we should do only tasks 130 points and higher, if we wanted to end up in top 3. And I bet if we had stayed in that large co-op we would have eventually switched to 135only as well, due to circumstances.

Don’t get me wrong: we don’t like it either when people use cash to speed up, get ahead. We can afford it, but we don’t consider that playing a game, having fun.
    Just trying to say it is very well possible to play fair (to us, as we don’t see buying 16 th task as cheating) and race fast anyway, and why many co-ops do 16 x 135.

Our 2 person co-op has been racing for the last 6 months or so. Mostly in the gold league, made it there on the third race and got bumped back to silver once.

We've won one race. In that race I spent over $1,000TC. First and last time I'll do that; just had to have the trophy We only do 135 pt tasks and don't spend any more than what we make during the race.

My coop has 12 racers & we only do 135 tasks. We have gotten enough top 3s to earn the crown badge for our banner. No one is ever expected to use tcash for a race. We finish fast, usually by Friday. Right now we are trying to figure out tricks to get the board to give us better or more 135 tasks at once. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Bessville View Post
    This is very true. Think how many hours of enjoyment you get from playing Township. Maybe it is reasonable that sometimes you buy $10 worth of TC or gold to ensure the game continues.
    I first got an iPad about 8 years ago. I only play one game seriously at a time. Township is the third game I have played in 8 years, the previous two were hidden object games. Eventually both those games folded as the developers gave up on them. I hope township won’t go that way as well and if the occasional few dollars helps it continue I consider it money well spent.

And, in addtion you have the possibility to get bucks for viewing videos and solving tasks. In the past, i‘ve never paid (don’t know for the future) but i‘m regular the first in our coop to closeup the regatta-tasks with the additional task. (You can only can add one, can‘t you?)

Quote Originally Posted by Hogs View Post
    And, in addtion you have the possibility to get bucks for viewing videos and solving tasks. In the past, i‘ve never paid (don’t know for the future) but i‘m regular the first in our coop to closeup the regatta-tasks with the additional task. (You can only can add one, can‘t you?)
    Ads are a rarity for me, sadly.

And yes, we only have the option to buy one extra task with Tcash.